• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saracen_83

The general consensus is you don't need to learn anything before signaling school. If you really can't stop yourself, then get the phonetic alphabet learnt, and the class of train bellcodes only.

this.. in fact depending on what course you are on you might not even need to learn ell codes! I certainly didn’t!!

phonetic alphabet is a must, apart from that, I’d enjoy the time with your friends and family before you head off to school. then put your all into IST in regards to revision, Sim time etc..

Kraken

Hi @ljmac - yup, I do! The scheme offers a 75% discount off one season ticket of your choice (I chose a London travelcard). It's administered on behalf of Network Rail by Abellio Corporate Travel, and the 25% that you do pay comes straight off your payslip - very easy.

Say, for instance, I had a friend who had a got a job with NWR and whose wife could massively benefit from a reduced price season ticket. Would that friend be able to use his 75% discount to get a season ticket for his wife’s commute? Or would that be seen as a bit dodgy?

_Odo_

You may want to check what you learned as I believe some have changed over the years! Depends how long ago you were a Scout, I guess!!

Thanks for pointing that out. It seems that the words are the same as the ones I learned back in the 80's, although I have to admit I'm not sure the spellings of the words are the same as I remember. There seems to be some discrepancy on the internet as to whether A is Alpha or Alfa, and whether J is Juliet or Juliett. And does it even matter anyway how they are spelled?!

ChrisRS

Thanks for pointing that out. It seems that the words are the same as the ones I learned back in the 80's, although I have to admit I'm not sure the spellings of the words are the same as I remember. There seems to be some discrepancy on the internet as to whether A is Alpha or Alfa, and whether J is Juliet or Juliett. And does it even matter anyway how they are spelled?!

Spelling doesn't matter but it's good to know how they are actually spelt. Taken directly from the rule book.

Capture.PNG

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Say, for instance, I had a friend who had a got a job with NWR and whose wife could massively benefit from a reduced price season ticket. Would that friend be able to use his 75% discount to get a season ticket for his wife’s commute? Or would that be seen as a bit dodgy?

No problem at all....if you fancy a P45 in very quick succession to your start date.

Please don’t even think about this, tell your friend it’s suicidal to even think such a thing.

Be under no illusion there are ticket staff out there who are just waiting to stick on a network rail member of staff.

bouff34

No problem at all....if you fancy a P45 in very quick succession to your start date.

Please don’t even think about this, tell your friend it’s suicidal to even think such a thing.

Be under no illusion there are ticket staff out there who are just waiting to stick on a network rail member of staff.

Can't believe anyone could seriously believe this was acceptable!!! Oh, plus your friend and his wife will be looking at criminal convictions.

_Odo_

To be fair, there are a lot of companies who allow employee discounts to be used by the employee's spouse. The best way to find out if that's allowed is to ask, which is what he did.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
To be fair, there are a lot of companies who allow employee discounts to be used by the employee's spouse. The best way to find out if that's allowed is to ask, which is what he did.

With the railway it’s very clear though, your season is for you to use for work travel only.

Allow anyone else, or use it on non work related travel and you’ll loose your job no ifs or buts.

The question appeared to suggest in its tone that they knew it wasn’t strictly permitted but would it be turned a blind eye to.

Like I say a lot of revenue staff (not guards generally) will sell their nan to stick on network rail staff, it’s simply not a risk with the even thinking about.

But, if anyone wants to then that’s their choice.

7Paul7

With the railway it’s very clear though, your season is for you to use for work travel only.

Allow anyone else, or use it on non work related travel and you’ll loose your job no ifs or buts.

The question appeared to suggest in its tone that they knew it wasn’t strictly permitted but would it be turned a blind eye to.

Like I say a lot of revenue staff (not guards generally) will sell their nan to stick on network rail staff, it’s simply not a risk with the even thinking about.

But, if anyone wants to then that’s their choice.

It's for work travel only? So if I wanted to use the season ticket for leisure related travel on top of journeys to and from work I'd be breaking the law and contract of employment?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It's for work travel only? So if I wanted to use the season ticket for leisure related travel on top of journeys to and from work I'd be breaking the law and contract of employment?

Your season paid for initially by Network Rail in the form of a interest free loan is for travel to and from work only.

Any use outside this will result in significant issues.

7Paul7

Then I have misinterpreted the rules, fortunately I haven't taken a season ticket yet as the cost difference between driving and the discounted season ticket is negligible for a normal working week a season ticket would only become viable if leisure travel was included.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Then I have misinterpreted the rules, fortunately I haven't taken a season ticket yet as the cost difference between driving and the discounted season ticket is negligible for a normal working week a season ticket would only become viable if leisure travel was included.

You’ve been lucky then, a duty season had a blue hand (or did) across the top of it.

Revenue staff can ask to see your work ID in conjunction with the season ticket, if their really bitter they can check your on your way of returning from work.

Kraken

I apologise for upsetting people by asking the question. I have not seen the rules and could not find them so did not know that the season ticket was for the employee only. I thought I would ask the question in a slightly tongue-in-cheek fashion and that has clearly backfired. Nevertheless, thank you for confirming that this is not the intention of that benefit.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I apologise for upsetting people by asking the question. I have not seen the rules and could not find them so did not know that the season ticket was for the employee only. I thought I would ask the question in a slightly tongue-in-cheek fashion and that has clearly backfired. Nevertheless, thank you for confirming that this is not the intention of that benefit.

Id rather you potentially look like a tit on here, than loose your job mate.

99.9% of signallers will look after our own.

Cityhedgehog

Hay Cityhedgehog, hope your well. I am due to start at the WMSC on 26th of this month. I have also been told I will be going to school in Walsall but it starts the following week (2nd Nov). Congrats on getting the offer though and I'm sure our paths will cross in the near future :)

Hello BigRob,
I wish I could've started as soon as you! I think they're limiting places at school though so that we can social distance maybe? Either way you can give me a tour when I get there!

jossh78

Cheers Pancakes, not sure what an assessment day involves but feels like I am slowly heading in the right direction ;)
In fact the email from HR calls it a “recruitment day” and says it will consist of a face to face interview and group activities, does anyone have previous experience of a recruitment day that they wouldn’t mind sharing ?

Thebullet

In fact the email from HR calls it a “recruitment day” and says it will consist of a face to face interview and group activities, does anyone have previous experience of a recruitment day that they wouldn’t mind sharing ?

It's competitive even once you get to the assessment day as you would expect. My recent assessment day there was 20 candidates over 3 days. Roughly one NR employee to each candidate, could be LOM, MOM and HR so you're watched every part of the day. Well structured day, various group assessments testing the NTS followed by an interview.

jossh78

It's competitive even once you get to the assessment day as you would expect. My recent assessment day there was 20 candidates over 3 days. Roughly one NR employee to each candidate, could be LOM, MOM and HR so you're watched every part of the day. Well structured day, various group assessments testing the NTS followed by an interview.
Thanks bullet, appreciate you sharing. I would expect nothing less than it being competitive, feel lucky just to get an invite. Grade 8 so I expect internal applicants to be attending as well. Will keep preparing for the next 10 days, do my best and just go and try to enjoy it.

Thebullet

Thanks bullet, appreciate you sharing. I would expect nothing less than it being competitive, feel lucky just to get an invite. Grade 8 so I expect internal applicants to be attending as well. Will keep preparing for the next 10 days, do my best and just go and try to enjoy it.

I doubt there will be internal applicants for future opportunities if that's what the assessment day is for. Go in from the start be talkative in the waiting area with other candidates. In the group assessments try and take the lead, don't be forceful or aggressive but assertive, know when to back off and let other candidates talk, be inclusive, ask questions and good luck

jossh78

I doubt there will be internal applicants for future opportunities if that's what the assessment day is for. Go in from the start be talkative in the waiting area with other candidates. In the group assessments try and take the lead, don't be forceful or aggressive but assertive, know when to back off and let other candidates talk, be inclusive, ask questions and good luck
Thanks for the all the advice bullet, there was mention of bringing ID on the email for external candidates only so I thought there may be some internal candidates but thinking about it you are probably correct.
I realise that there is a fine line between being assertive and not forceful or aggressive which I will have to tread carefully but I do like to talk and don’t have a problem striking up a conversation with anyone.
Fingers crossed I can demonstrate I have the relevant skills and experience required on the day.

Pcoftw

Does anyone know if Lincoln road crossing box is eligible for inner London allowance? It’s only a grade 1 crossing keeper box...

The general consensus is you don't need to learn anything before signaling school. If you really can't stop yourself, then get the phonetic alphabet learnt, and the class of train bellcodes only.

100% agree with this and if you're doing TCB then you don't really need to worry about codes for IST

High Dyke

Established Member
'tis the season for it. (Boxes that don't use the bell normally but are working 3.5 due to the silly season)
It is indeed. Luckily I've only had one location on that so far. It gets worse with newer locations that only have an emergency alarm plunger so every train is done by telephone. However, I also work two full TCB and three TCB fringe boxes that use block bells to describe trains to the adjacent box, in conjunction with a release lever/switch.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Some locations still use block bell codes to describe trains on a TCB worked line. I'm doing it this afternoon.

Little Mill SB work TCB south to East Usk workstation at SWCC, and AB with bell descriptions North to Abergavenny SB.

No way could I retain all those bell codes!

Some locations still use block bell codes to describe trains on a TCB worked line. I'm doing it this afternoon.

Sorry, I meant in context of the TCB course you don't need to learn it. Obviously if you are going to a box that does use bell codes then at some point you will want to know them

High Dyke

Established Member
Sorry, I meant in context of the TCB course you don't need to learn it. Obviously if you are going to a box that does use bell codes then at some point you will want to know them
I appreciate that. Everything about the training has changed these days. My TCB course was a two-day event, the exam being on the second day. The important part is knowing where to find the information.