• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

signalling school (which I think is now 10 weeks down from 12) is all consecutive weeks. No breaks

however, if signalling school is over for example christmas or Easter, then school closes down over this period, and it is therefore up to your LOM if they wish to ask you to come in over this time or give you time off...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrsP2010

signalling school (which I think is now 10 weeks down from 12) is all consecutive weeks. No breaks

however, if signalling school is over for example christmas or Easter, then school closes down over this period, and it is therefore up to your LOM if they wish to ask you to come in over this time or give you time off...
I’m at AB school now and it’s 11 weeks but the last week is just the final observation. So yes it’s 10 weeks of lessons plus 1 week

headshot119

Established Member
On the subject of signaling school, the AB course was 12 weeks, 11 weeks of learning, then a week put aside for your final observation.

It is now 11 weeks, 10 weeks of learning, then a week put aside for your final observation.

Saracen_83

I’m at AB school now and it’s 11 weeks but the last week is just the final observation. So yes it’s 10 weeks of lessons plus 1 week

I didn’t count the “last week” as Your only there 1 day;)

I had my observation on the monday and was back at the box training on the Tuesday!!

MrsP2010

I didn’t count the “last week” as Your only there 1 day;)

I had my observation on the monday and was back at the box training on the Tuesday!!
Funny I was just talking about this and wondering what you do for the rest of the week!! That’s answered my question!

ljmac

Question for anyone that has moved up the grades.

I was under the impression that you get a grade lower until you pass out, as it was when you start initially.
However, I've heard a conflicting scenario where you get paid the full grade from day one (or 12 weeks after closing date, if not released) and would have to pay it back of you didnt make the grade.

Its a new one to me but thought I'd ask here for a definitive answer.

Cheers

nom de guerre

Question for anyone that has moved up the grades.

I was under the impression that you get a grade lower until you pass out, as it was when you start initially.
However, I've heard a conflicting scenario where you get paid the full grade from day one (or 12 weeks after closing date, if not released) and would have to pay it back of you didnt make the grade.

Its a new one to me but thought I'd ask here for a definitive answer.

Cheers

Never heard of “from day one”, but yes - you’re eligible to claim Higher Grade Pay from the 12-week mark if still awaiting release (with the difference repayable if you don’t pass out at the next job).

There does seem to be some variance in how different routes’ HR bods interpret the timeline. Some reckon it’s 12 weeks from the closing date; others that it’s 12 weeks from the date of the job offer.

ILoveLamp

For the first time in all the time I have searched for signaller on NR website, today it says No Matching Results! Scary..

headshot119

Established Member
I heard a rumour of a recruitment freeze, ongoing continuing but new jobs on hold.

My understanding was it didn't cover operational roles. There's definitely been quite a few internal jobs for signalling advertised since the freeze was announced.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
My understanding was it didn't cover operational roles. There's definitely been quite a few internal jobs for signalling advertised since the freeze was announced.

I rarely look at the internal list being so delightfully happy at my current location I’ve no need....

I just heard the rumour, no meat so you could well be correct.

Does this mean that anyone without an official start date in writing but have signed the contract is potentially on hold? Worrying times!

I shouldn’t think so, I’d assume all ongoing is okay - just fresh roles frozen.

High Dyke

Established Member
I rarely look at the internal list being so delightfully happy at my current location I’ve no need....

I just heard the rumour, no meat so you could well be correct.

I shouldn’t think so, I’d assume all ongoing is okay - just fresh roles frozen.
With the blatant ineptitude of HR at the moment, anything is possible. I was talking to a colleague last night who advises that all the signallers affected by the re-org, in my area, still haven't had any formal letter from HR advising them which jobs they have been appointed to - despite the fact the letters should have been sent out about two months ago.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
With the blatant ineptitude of HR at the moment, anything is possible. I was talking to a colleague last night who advises that all the signallers affected by the re-org, in my area, still haven't had any formal letter from HR advising them which jobs they have been appointed to - despite the fact the letters should have been sent out about two months ago.

I assume all non critical functions are working from home still?

I’ve phoned a few people over the C19 period and heard kids and dogs in the background.

Amy1090

Hey :) as a newbie I’m trying to figure out if it would be better for me to join the CARE pension scheme or stick with the NRDC. I’ve looked at the comparison tables but I’m struggling to decide which is the best. Does anyone have an opinion on this or can shed some light on this for me please? Thank you in advance :)

Qball

CARE pension is better than the NRDC pension but after 5 years of service you'll have the option to join RPS. Which is the best pension offered by network rail.

Trackboy

Never heard of “from day one”, but yes - you’re eligible to claim Higher Grade Pay from the 12-week mark if still awaiting release (with the difference repayable if you don’t pass out at the next job).

There does seem to be some variance in how different routes’ HR bods interpret the timeline. Some reckon it’s 12 weeks from the closing date; others that it’s 12 weeks from the date of the job offer.

Is that 12 weeks once you receive formal letter from HR. I am in dilemma i have passed interview in September was offered the role on phone but still no offer letter yet. So when would my 12 weeks start from the time I get offer letter?

TLB

Is that 12 weeks once you receive formal letter from HR. I am in dilemma i have passed interview in September was offered the role on phone but still no offer letter yet. So when would my 12 weeks start from the time I get offer letter?

Same as myself! Received a verbal offer in September but still waiting formal confirmation of this (offer letter, email from HR, start dates for training etc).
I have been informed by the helpful members within this forum that the time line for this can be very long, potentially many weeks before anything more is heard.
I am unsure of when the 12 weeks begin.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Same as myself! Received a verbal offer in September but still waiting formal confirmation of this (offer letter, email from HR, start dates for training etc).
I have been informed by the helpful members within this forum that the time line for this can be very long, potentially many weeks before anything more is heard.

The 12 week "thing" is for internal vacancies where a signaller is moving to a higher grade Box/Panel, not for new entrants.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There’s some confusion here...

If your a new starter you are on training rate (grade below your resident grade) until you work your first productive competent turn of duty - no matter how long you wait to actually start employment.

There is no way you’ll rock up on day one of employment and be on your full rate of pay.

If you already a signaller, or employee of NWR you have the right to your new salary at the 12 week after offer accepted point.

We have lads who are in grade 4 links on grade 7 money as they've tied up in a cascade release of several people.

At my previous location there was a lad who was waiting a year to be released, he was on grade 9 money in a grade 7 link.

Trackboy

There’s some confusion here...

If your a new starter you are on training rate (grade below your resident grade) until you work your first productive competent turn of duty - no matter how long you wait to actually start employment.

There is no way you’ll rock up on day one of employment and be on your full rate of pay.

If you already a signaller, or employee of NWR you have the right to your new salary at the 12 week after offer accepted point.

We have lads who are in grade 4 links on grade 7 money as they've tied up in a cascade release of several people.

At my previous location there was a lad who was waiting a year to be released, he was on grade 9 money in a grade 7 link.
Understood.. as I am already a qualified signaller.. when will my 12 weeks begin. I have not been provided with any formal letter yet just verbal offer.

Please do keep me updated my 3 months finishes end of this month since the vacancy has been closed.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Understood.. as I am already a qualified signaller.. when will my 12 weeks begin. I have not been provided with any formal letter yet just verbal offer.

Please do keep me updated my 3 months finishes end of this month since the vacancy has been closed.

12 weeks post offer of job is my understanding, if it drags on speak to your union rep or new LOM depending on their interest...

TRain87

I always understood it as 12 weeks from the closing date of the vacancy. I also done interviews with a LOM and this was his understanding too

Trackboy

Thanks guys would I need to to speak to payroll or my current/future LOM for this to be authorised.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I always understood it as 12 weeks from the closing date of the vacancy. I also done interviews with a LOM and this was his understanding too

Really, that 12 weeks could be in reality a very short “12 weeks” then if you say wait a few for your interview result.

Sounds like it varies from LOM to LOM, and route to route.

Best speak to your new LOM - oh and congratulations on the new job.