• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Chumba

don’t know,for definite but I seem to recall last time it was a 4/5, but don’t hold me to that :D :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not watched it yet, but have it on catch-up. However, I once had a strange incident whilst using the type of simulator shown. I signalled a train off the single line branch (shown top right). The train had proceed signals, but I then received the SPAD alarm. I turned to the trainer, thinking he was throwing another scenario at me, but when he confirmed that he hadn't I suggested he came and looked at the panel. Seemingly the train had derailed on the trap points whilst running on a proceed aspect. Apparently the simulator had a few glitches like that every so often.
Had a scenario on the simulator on one occasion when the emergency alarm was received, I put the signal back but the "train" continued merrily on its way (it was meant to stop!).
After a couple of further attempts with the same outcome, we ended up turning the simulator off and doing it the old-fashioned way.

seventh

You’ll receive an email with an interview invite or an email with a NR letter attached telling you you’re application has been unsuccessful.

If successful you have an invite to interview currently being carried out remotely via your tablet or computer.

After interview it’s either a no or an offer.

Hope that helps.
Perfect really appreciate your reply, So i wait for an email for the final video interview as i have successfully passed the online assessments. Would you happen to have an estimate on the wait for the final interview before i follow up as it has been over 3 weeks since i recieved email stating i have been successful in assesment and they will be in touch shortly for next stage. Many Thanks Once again

All of those questions have already been answered if you do a search through the threadIt would be preferable

If you used the 16 word reply to answer my question as opposed to wasting your good time with that non helpful response. If you read my OP i clearly state i have read through all 400+pages within the relevant thread.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Perfect really appreciate your reply, So i wait for an email for the final video interview as i have successfully passed the online assessments. Would you happen to have an estimate on the wait for the final interview before i follow up as it has been over 3 weeks since i recieved email stating i have been successful in assesment and they will be in touch shortly for next stage. Many Thanks Once again
I wouldn’t follow it up.

Network Rail will contact you with an outcome either way. You just have to be patient.

Saracen_83

just because you have successfully passed the online assessments, does not mean you will get an interview for the role.
Only the top 5 candidates get an invite.

best advice I can give is once you have submitted your application, is to forget about it. Railway recruitment is notoriously slow. you’ll be notified either way, so just apply then forget it. And apply for some more!!!

Jetsetter

just because you have successfully passed the online assessments, does not mean you will get an interview for the role.
Only the top 5 candidates get an invite.

best advice I can give is once you have submitted your application, is to forget about it. Railway recruitment is notoriously slow. you’ll be notified either way, so just apply then forget it. And apply for some more!!!

Gosh! So 5 applicants per position?! I wonder how many applicants apply for each vacancy.

Great advice by the way, forget and apply for some more

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Gosh! So 5 applicants per position?! I wonder how many applicants apply for each vacancy.

Great advice by the way, forget and apply for some more

I believe that for some of the South Wales posts there were reports of over 100 applicants.

Trackboy

Guys I am Grade 5 Signaller now Grade 7 signaller. But still working as Grade 5 as I have not released yet. I am getting Grade 7 pay now because it's been 12 weeks. Just wanted to know am I entitled for Travel allowance aswell?

High Dyke

Established Member
Guys I am Grade 5 Signaller now Grade 7 signaller. But still working as Grade 5 as I have not released yet. I am getting Grade 7 pay now because it's been 12 weeks. Just wanted to know am I entitled for Travel allowance aswell?
What do you mean by "Travel Allowance"? Are in a Relief job?

danners430

Nowhere in your post does it say you read through the entire thread before posting. This has been brought multiple times before, that there should be a pinned FAQ post for exactly this reason. Each and every one of your answers has been answered over and over again by much more experienced members of this forum, and a quick search would bring them up.

Rover77

I have previously applied for a number of signaller roles with no luck but I will continue to persevere. I have just spotted a crossing keeper job. The question I have is realistically how much per annum can be added on top of the advertised wage? Thanks

Trackboy

What do you mean by "Travel Allowance"? Are in a Relief job?
Not in relief job but I will be moving to different location for Grade 7.. but as I am still at my current work place in Grade 5. So wanted to know do I get travel allowance.

gareth386

I have previously applied for a number of signaller roles with no luck but I will continue to persevere. I have just spotted a crossing keeper job. The question I have is realistically how much per annum can be added on top of the advertised wage? Thanks
It depends what shift pattern you will be on, 8hr or 12hr, how much overtime is available and how much overtime you are willing to work.
Is it a grade 1 or grade 2 job?
Lots of ifs and buts but i would say anything from 5k upwards on top of your basic wage.

Last edited:

nom de guerre

Not in relief job but I will be moving to different location for Grade 7.. but as I am still at my current work place in Grade 5. So wanted to know do I get travel allowance.

The only travel allowance I’m aware of is PDTA (forget exactly what it stands for: Personal Displacement Travel Allowance or something along those lines).

That only applies if you’ve been displaced from your previous box, eg it’s closing and the work is migrating to the local ROC.

If this new G7 job is a promotion that you chose to apply for, I don’t think you’re eligible for any travel allowance.

Trackboy

The only travel allowance I’m aware of is PDTA (forget exactly what it stands for: Personal Displacement Travel Allowance or something along those lines).

That only applies if you’ve been displaced from your previous box, eg it’s closing and the work is migrating to the local ROC.

If this new G7 job is a promotion that you chose to apply for, I don’t think you’re eligible for any travel allowance.
Aha ok. This Grade 7 is 4% flexi.. will I get 4% flexi although I am not working as flexi in my current Grade 5 job.

WL113

Correct. Personal Daily Travel Allowance is only paid to to those whose job has moved further away. It won't be payable if you have applied for a job yourself.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Aha ok. This Grade 7 is 4% flexi.. will I get 4% flexi although I am not working as flexi in my current Grade 5 job.

I got it once I passed out on my first panel, same move as you resident grade 7 to relief grade 7 but at a different location.

Trackboy

I got it once I passed out on my first panel, same move as you resident grade 7 to relief grade 7 but at a different location.

Thanks mate. Mine is different location aswell but moving from Grade 5 to 7.. i thought we get travel allowance as it is different location and we have not been released

High Dyke

Established Member
I understand. I see my esteemed colleagues have already answered your question on this matter.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks mate. Mine is different location aswell but moving from Grade 5 to 7.. i thought we get travel allowance as it is different location and we have not been released

As the other lads have said you only get PDTA if your location closes and you move with the work to be new location.

However, you can get a mileage payment from your resident location to a outlaying location if you say for example are providing cover. This is different to a multi location relief position though, as you’ll know the FP is for that propose or your refreshing another location you’ll get the mileage payment.

Mothball

A relief crossing keeper role has come up for the Preston area, the advert is a bit vague, can anyone shed some light on where this position would be based? Is there many crossing only roles in the area?