• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

You can apply just like anyone else but they will expect much more out of you in terms of answers to your interview questions. You’ll have access to the internal jobs list as well I imagine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jetsetter

Hello everyone,

I’ve been fortunate enough to be offered a G9 signaller role and just wondered how long it was before the arrival of contracts and a formal written offer. I received a verbal offer around 4 weeks ago and haven’t received anything in writing and am getting a bit concerned. After jumping through all the hoops I worry that it may no come to fruition.

Thanks,

Toots

a question to those in the grades for longer: is it a common move from an operative/technician position to a signaller? (more specifically, S&T operative or technician)

I understand that the knowledge about safety, possession, and how the signaling systems work could be advantageous on the selection process, but how many of your colleagues come from the tracks?

My oppo in the next box is ex P way,and I know s guy in Carlisle box who was S&T.You'd have an advantage because you know how the job works via possessions and disconnections etc,and a big plus is the emphasis on comms which you should be well versed in.

Last edited:

Rigchick

Hello everyone,

I’ve been fortunate enough to be offered a G9 signaller role and just wondered how long it was before the arrival of contracts and a formal written offer. I received a verbal offer around 4 weeks ago and haven’t received anything in writing and am getting a bit concerned. After jumping through all the hoops I worry that it may no come to fruition.

Thanks,
Hi Jetsetter, I had my interview mid May, got the phone call 4 days later to give me the good news. It then took until the start of July to get my formal offer and another month to get a start date. As has been said many times, HR do not work quickly. Patience is definitely a virtue! :)

Toots

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Grade 9 off the street?...I'm not sure I'd use the word 'fortunate ' just yet!:D

Toots

I do like a challenge, it’ll be fun...won’t it :)
To be honest it's s fair old task.It's completely different from a traditional signalbox,the new ROCs are more akin to call centres than signalboxes and as a grade 9 I'm betting its an ROC or an IECC, Kings x perhaps?.Either way it's grade 9 for a reason so challenge is certainly an apt word.Most of the fun has gone out of the job with the obsession for delay attribution and the desire to apportion blame.The good news is,you'll earn a fortune,so plan that holiday you've always wanted!

Kenuff

Hi all,

I am applying to be a signaller. This is not my first attempt - i have applied several times and have only been invited to interview once. Now some of my online assessments have expired so I am seeing this as an opportunity to increase my online test scores.

Can you recommend any resources to prepare for the online assessments?

I have been trying out the practice tests on the SHL site, and also trawling through youtube for tips, but the videos on there are usually quite general and not focussed on what i might encounter. I have seen a number of websites offering advice and resources for a fee... Are they worth it?

Thanks for any advice you can give! And sorry if this question has already been asked.

Cheers

Cityhedgehog

Well.. After all the hard work and the seemingly never ending waiting game I finally have my start date! 8th Feb at WMSC. Are any of you glorious people joining me?

For those wondering what time scales were like... I applied in early July, interview beginning of September, told I was successful end of that week, formal offer mid November along with a super quick turn around for the medical and security checks. I got my start date this week. So... Hang in there!!

AirCon888

Well.. After all the hard work and the seemingly never ending waiting game I finally have my start date! 8th Feb at WMSC. Are any of you glorious people joining me?

For those wondering what time scales were like... I applied in early July, interview beginning of September, told I was successful end of that week, formal offer mid November along with a super quick turn around for the medical and security checks. I got my start date this week. So... Hang in there!!
Pending my medical next Wednesday, and my pre employment checks, I shall be joining you on the 8th Feb, fingers crossed.

Defenestrate

Hey everyone :) does anyone know if the Carlton SB is near Selby? Also what shift pattern it is on? Thank you in advance!
That's only advertised internally, and so has the LOMs details at the bottom of the ad. Probably get your questions answered if you call/email him.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey everyone :) does anyone know if the Carlton SB is near Selby? Also what shift pattern it is on? Thank you in advance!
It's just north of Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire. Google Maps

The box is open 24/7. Current shift pattern is 8-hours Monday - Saturday, 12-hour Sunday turns. However, a new 'hybrid' roster is due to commence in January; which will then be 12-hours Sunday - Friday with 8-hour turns on a Saturday.

Chriss_munro

Hey everyone!

Ive recently applied for and got a Grade 5 signaller job at Tweedmouth! However I’ve also applied for a relief (32%) grade 5 at Morpeth and have been told by the LOM that he will consider me for that too.
Is being a relief much different to being a one-station signaller?

Ive come from the OHL, so a big change of career but hopefully it goes well! I start on a course at York in February. Is the course still 12 weeks or 10?

Kind regards everyone
Chris

Amy1090

It's just north of Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire. Google Maps

The box is open 24/7. Current shift pattern is 8-hours Monday - Saturday, 12-hour Sunday turns. However, a new 'hybrid' roster is due to commence in January; which will then be 12-hours Sunday - Friday with 8-hour turns on a Saturday.
Thank you for that! Good job I asked!

Last edited:

Mi&Li

Does anybody internally know of any signalling roles likely to go external in the Lincolnshire/North Lincolnshire/East Yorkshire area soon?
It would seem there haven’t been any for some time now.

I can’t speak from a place of any real knowledge, but when the current group of Future Opportunities Signallers in the North and East were taken on in October, we were told the expectation was they now had the right number of signallers for all jobs through 2021.

How they can be sure of that I don’t know, but coupled with the Covid external hiring freeze for most jobs, I would be surprised if there’s any for a while.

Toots

I can’t speak from a place of any real knowledge, but when the current group of Future Opportunities Signallers in the North and East were taken on in October, we were told the expectation was they now had the right number of signallers for all jobs through 2021.

How they can be sure of that I don’t know, but coupled with the Covid external hiring freeze for most jobs, I would be surprised if there’s any for a while.
Seems to be the same on West Coast, they have taken on several this year, but I was told they need to increase the number due to the maximum working week dropping to 48 hours (I think:?:).They attached two recent starters to a box without any resident or Relief vacancies for this purpose, so it may be worth those wanting a start keeping their eye on the vacancy list, but as you say, with covid it's hard to know whether they will continue to take on externally.

Mi&Li

Yes I thought this might be the case. Gutting to say the least. I was on the reserve list from the North & East campaign however they said as it has been 6 months and they can’t see anything for at least the next 2 months, they’re closing the reserve list.

nom de guerre

Seems to be the same on West Coast, they have taken on several this year, but I was told they need to increase the number due to the maximum working week dropping to 48 hours (I think:?:).They attached two recent starters to a box without any resident or Relief vacancies for this purpose, so it may be worth those wanting a start keeping their eye on the vacancy list, but as you say, with covid it's hard to know whether they will continue to take on externally.

Max 60hr working week, as mandated by the ORR. Doesn’t come in until 2022 IIRC but some routes have been recruiting the extra bodies needed ahead of time.

Toots

Hey everyone!

Ive recently applied for and got a Grade 5 signaller job at Tweedmouth! However I’ve also applied for a relief (32%) grade 5 at Morpeth and have been told by the LOM that he will consider me for that too.
Is being a relief much different to being a one-station signaller?

Ive come from the OHL, so a big change of career but hopefully it goes well! I start on a course at York in February. Is the course still 12 weeks or 10?

Kind regards everyone
Chris
Hi Chris.Not sure about the length of course,but remember there are still weeks of training in the box following it.Tweedmouth has a lot ,and I mean a lot!,of CCTV crossings so pay particular attention to them on the course,especially what to do when they go wrong!.
Being a Relief simply means you have to learn several boxes instead of just one,and of course you'll need to know each box and it's method of Signalling.You'll be tested periodically on those as well,so the more different types,the more you've got to know.
32% is a large area so be prepared to travel long distances.

Chriss_munro

Unsure about that as Ive just been given a job at Tweedmouth, and there also many advertised signaller jobs in our area (newcastle)

RT3189

Yes I thought this might be the case. Gutting to say the least. I was on the reserve list from the North & East campaign however they said as it has been 6 months and they can’t see anything for at least the next 2 months, they’re closing the reserve list.
Gosh thats alarming. Mainly because I’m on a reserve list and didn’t realise they would close them. My understanding is that they used the reserve lists as a pool to pick from when future vacancies arose? Seems weird to go to the trouble of a whole recruitment process, to pick the candidates and line up reserves for the future then to cast them out after six months? :| Anyway I best not be getting my hopes up for a phone call then!

Mi&Li

Gosh thats alarming. Mainly because I’m on a reserve list and didn’t realise they would close them. My understanding is that they used the reserve lists as a pool to pick from when future vacancies arose? Seems weird to go to the trouble of a whole recruitment process, to pick the candidates and line up reserves for the future then to cast them out after six months? :| Anyway I best not be getting my hopes up for a phone call then!
I guess them telling me was at least something. This was my third time of being a reserve, the other 2 had their statuses changed to unsuccessful without warning!