• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Trackboy

I'd say no you wouldn't have to give the money back because you are hoping to go to a higher grade position. If however you had changed your mind and returned to your grade 5 role or taking a lower grade job for whatever reason, then I think you probably would have to pay it back.As you say, it isn't your fault that you cannot move, in fact your situation is being replicated all over the country and I know of two recent cases whereby two Signallers had to wait for a year before they could move.

Thanks mate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

It’s a tricky one as you’re usually only entitled to keep the HGD pay if you pass out at the box concerned.

But equally, if you haven’t been given a chance to pass out...

I’m not sure there’s an HR rule covering this specific scenario so it may be down to the discretion of your current LOM, OM and HR. Might be worth canvassing some opinions: your LOM, union rep etc.

I know a branch line relief (G5 + 24%) who, having been told the line was due to be resignalled into the local ROC, applied and accepted a G9. He had around 15 months of G9 + 24% for working mainly G2/G3 boxes while the resignalling scheme was first postponed and then eventually cancelled. He didn’t want to move and the branch line was so short staffed they offered him a golden handshake deal to stay - he got to keep every penny o_O

Another of the reliefs on that line also got offered a similar deal after earning G8 + 24% for the same period.

So, it can happen...

Sammy2019

That's exactly what it is, it will save them a fortune. That said, you can kind of understand it given the fact that even experienced small box Signallers go into power boxes/IECC's and ROC's and can't hack it. Going in off the street was taking in excess of a year to train just one panel at one IECC I know ,some didn't make it and had to leave I understand and those trainees would be have been on at least grade 7 all that time. I suppose it will give a grounding for things such as clipping points for those posted in the sticks,perhaps time with S&T or P/way to get an understanding of the job outside the box so to speak. Done properly it could work well...but given past initiatives such as the calamitous SWL programme I don't hold out much hope..
I’m an external applicant and due to start a grade 7 role in an IECC. That’s certainly a bit worrying. Was it a lot of trainees that had to leave?

Jetsetter

It’s been about 7 weeks since I have the news that I passed the interview but I haven’t received anything official from NR.

Does anyone have further information about this recruitment freeze? Have there been occurrences after a position offered that NR withdraw the vacancy?

ATB

Yorks1179

It’s been about 7 weeks since I have the news that I passed the interview but I haven’t received anything official from NR.

Does anyone have further information about this recruitment freeze? Have there been occurrences after a position offered that NR withdraw the vacancy?

ATB
I was offered my position at the start of November and started on 14 December. It seems to vary greatly as to time frame between different posts, so hopefully you’ll hear good news soon.

I believe as was said a while back, although there is a freeze in place, operational roles still need to be in place for the railway to run and so holes will need to be filled.

Toots

I’m an external applicant and due to start a grade 7 role in an IECC. That’s certainly a bit worrying. Was it a lot of trainees that had to leave?
Sammy,what you have to realise is that getting through Signalling is one thing,but applying yourself to the job itself is a different matter. My advice is learn and take in everything you can.When you get to the IECC try to suss out who is the best and stick to them like sh!t to a blanket (that's the advice I was given,and exactly what I did).You can certainly do it,because many have,but knowledge brings confidence,and experience comes later.Don't get disheateartened when you have a bad day,even the most experienced get them.Don't dwell on cock ups,simply move on and learn from it.Always take a moment before you grant something or do something and mentally check it's correct.You will be fine

AliP

Hi,

Just got my official offer today for Inverness and if all things go right I start in January.
Any tips for signalling school? I'm used to learning lots in a short time in my previous role so not so much worried about the volume of learning, just more wondering what the areas to really focus on are?

Its looking like school in Glasgow, anyone else here joining me?

Thanks

Ali.

Rsteele1987

Hi,

Just got my official offer today for Inverness and if all things go right I start in January.
Any tips for signalling school? I'm used to learning lots in a short time in my previous role so not so much worried about the volume of learning, just more wondering what the areas to really focus on are?

Thanks

Ali.
Hi mate

I start signalling school in Glasgow also. potentially Feb/March time been told by the LOM so maybe see you there.

cheers

Ross

Sammy2019

Sammy,what you have to realise is that getting through Signalling is one thing,but applying yourself to the job itself is a different matter. My advice is learn and take in everything you can.When you get to the IECC try to suss out who is the best and stick to them like sh!t to a blanket (that's the advice I was given,and exactly what I did).You can certainly do it,because many have,but knowledge brings confidence,and experience comes later.Don't get disheateartened when you have a bad day,even the most experienced get them.Don't dwell on cock ups,simply move on and learn from it.Always take a moment before you grant something or do something and mentally check it's correct.You will be fine
Thanks for your reply mate. I will of apply myself throughout the training and job in general. Can’t wait to get started and stuck in to be honest. I would presume that whilst a grade 7 centre is busy, it’s not as overwhelming as a grade 8 or 9.

AliP

Hi mate

I start signalling school in Glasgow also. potentially Feb/March time been told by the LOM so maybe see you there.

cheers

Ross
Hi Ross,

Sounds like we will be doing it at the same time, was told by resourcing that to plan to start January with school starting early Feb if all goes well.

Thanks

Alison.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Indeed, I had a cock up a few weeks ago - nothing dangerous, but a cock up I shouldn’t of made. My confidence is to be honest shot at the moment, my edge for taking a “risk” as in regulation or being creative has gone it’s BOGI even if the “risk” is double green in turns of making a OC.

When it’ll return I don’t know, I’m not really happy at my place at the moment which has contributed to my lack of confidence. To be honest my love for the job is gone, it’s just a job now unfortunately. I really hope the love returns as it really is the best job in the world.

Toots

Thanks for your reply mate. I will of apply myself throughout the training and job in general. Can’t wait to get started and stuck in to be honest. I would presume that whilst a grade 7 centre is busy, it’s not as overwhelming as a grade 8 or 9.
To be honest,it varies.I know a grade 4 box that gets two trains a day.It's not so much whether it's busy,its how many routes you have, and crucially how much hassle there is. IECC's have automatic route setting generally,so the trains practically run themselves.A Signaller earns his money when things go wrong or when he has degraded working.Protecting engineering work can be fairly complex and even short Line Blockages can be on tight margins.
You will be fine,but make sure you understand everything they teach you, because it's surprising what pops up.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
To be honest,it varies.I know a grade 4 box that gets two trains a day.It's not so much whether it's busy,its how many routes you have, and crucially how much hassle there is. IECC's have automatic route setting generally,so the trains practically run themselves.A Signaller earns his money when things go wrong or when he has degraded working.Protecting engineering work can be fairly complex and even short Line Blockages can be on tight margins.
You will be fine,but make sure you understand everything they teach you, because it's surprising what pops up.

ARS is a total pain in the ARSE - automatic route setting equipment...

Panels really don’t run themselves.

nom de guerre

Indeed, I had a cock up a few weeks ago - nothing dangerous, but a cock up I shouldn’t of made. My confidence is to be honest shot at the moment, my edge for taking a “risk” as in regulation or being creative has gone it’s BOGI even if the “risk” is double green in turns of making a OC.

When it’ll return I don’t know, I’m not really happy at my place at the moment which has contributed to my lack of confidence. To be honest my love for the job is gone, it’s just a job now unfortunately. I really hope the love returns as it really is the best job in the world.

Sorry to hear that, Tom. We've all been there, to some degree. BOFI is useful as a get-out clause but if you're a signaller who actually cares, and likes to try to solve problems - and clearly, you are - it'll be hard to keep that side of your signalling switched off. Hopefully your confidence is restored soon.

I've only been unhappy at one box - my last one - and I eventually ended up moving. Obviously that's not an option for everyone, but it's only now I'm working in a decent environment again that I realise how important it is. Life's too short to waste it in an unpleasant workplace, IMO.

Kraken

Hi,

Thanks

Ali.
Hi Ali,

I’m currently in IST at the moment and I would honestly say that you need do little in terms of learning before you turn up provided you know your phonetic alphabet.

I learned the bell codes for the different classes before I arrived but to be honest there was no need to do so as there’s plenty of time and pace to learn these in the first few weeks.

Whilst the course is certainly a large amount to take in most of the tricky stuff is concepts and rules which you can’t really prepare for beforehand as they need to be taught. In short I wouldn’t worry too much, make sure you’ve got all your stationery squared away and enjoy a bit of downtime before the ‘hecticness’ and hard work of school! The instructors have all been superb at bringing everyone up to speed from a position of zero railway knowledge.

High Dyke

Established Member

ATB
Can't say for certain during the current period, but I'm aware of incidents in the past where a job has been advertised, interviews held and the successful applicant then advised the position has been withdrawn.

Equally, I'm also aware of a qualified signaller awaiting a transfer to a different area, but told by HR their move has been blocked due to recruitment freeze. Unbelievable!

Toots

When it’ll return I don’t know, I’m not really happy at my place at the moment which has contributed to my lack of confidence. To be honest my love for the job is gone, it’s just a job now unfortunately. I really hope the love returns as it really is the best job in the world

We've all been there Tom, don't sweat it it,especially over regulating.I've been let down by Drivers who you give a run to and they drive past like Miss Daisy!,I've been O coded for a dozy Signaller at the PSB who forgot a train I'd sent him early,I've even been O coded for a late TRUST input. A lot depends on how your LOM figures in the hierarchy and whether they get outmanoeuvred by other LOMs,they have so many O code minutes and are keen not to lose them.
It's a big difference between a safety incident and a bad regulating call.I've stopped giving early runs now,it's simply not worth it.

I dunno Tom,the panels I've seen seem to run themselves when on auto.....but I'm in a box built before Custer's last stand,so If you work in an IECC I shall take your word for it

Last edited:

Saracen_83

Tom your passion shines through and without downplaying what your saying, it just a regulating issue, not a SOTL.

I hope you done get too down about this as your passion shows through on this forum, I have had it where I have tried some manoeuvres to keep things going, genuinly in the best interests of the passengers and have been stuffed up, and like you say, I’ve thought about BOFI..... but is that why we got into the job we do????

i hope you have a great Xmas, enjoy the festivities and hopefully come back positive......

nom de guerre

I dunno Tom,the panels I've seen seem to run themselves when on auto.....but I'm in a box built before Custer's last stand,so If you work in an IECC I shall take your word for it

I'm with Tom here.

ARS is a bit perverse, in that I found I could only really rely on it when it was arguably least useful, i.e. an off-peak service running fairly normally. The more variables you chuck at it - late running, unusual workings/peak-only services, disruption, degraded working - the more erratic the results and the more intervention required. And if it's really gone tits up, you have to either disable it or switch it off.

Not missing it at all :smile:

Sammy2019

Thank you for your help. This forum has certainly been very useful in helping me throughout the process.

Ideally I would have started at a lower grade in a box to get experience and then applied for a higher grade post. I will certainly make the best out of it and put my social life on hold for a year and just learn everything I can. Just can’t wait to start now :).

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thank you for your help. This forum has certainly been very useful in helping me throughout the process.

Ideally I would have started at a lower grade in a box to get experience and then applied for a higher grade post. I will certainly make the best out of it and put my social life on hold for a year and just learn everything I can. Just can’t wait to start now :).

If I could do it again I’d start in a small grade 3 or 4 box on my own, probably even stay there. No drama, no politics that you get when you a dozen grown men working together for 12hrs.
Problem is if you go straight into a high grade location you quickly become trapped by the money, life style it brings and longer term the implications the salary drop from a high to low grade will have on your pension.

Sammy2019

If I could do it again I’d start in a small grade 3 or 4 box on my own, probably even stay there. No drama, no politics that you get when you a dozen grown men working together for 12hrs.
Problem is if you go straight into a high grade location you quickly become trapped by the money, life style it brings and longer term the implications the salary drop from a high to low grade will have on your pension.
I think a lower grade position is good at building up experience. I have applied for lower grade boxes in the past and been unsuccessful, so I’m just glad to be given an opportunity regardless of grade.

Money is nice but as you said isn’t the deciding factor.

gareth386

There's a job with me on the internal list at the mo.

ffesti

Quick question about IST if you don’t mind. I start next week and just wondering if laptops/iPads are allowed in the classroom? I wrote on an iPad at uni to save me carrying around tonnes of paper but don’t want to turn up with that if it will be frowned upon!
Obviously I’ll bring some paper and pens as well, never know when they’ll come in handy. I just find that I work best in a digital ‘notepad’ if I can

89jordanbj

Quick question about IST if you don’t mind. I start next week and just wondering if laptops/iPads are allowed in the classroom? I wrote on an iPad at uni to save me carrying around tonnes of paper but don’t want to turn up with that if it will be frowned upon!
Obviously I’ll bring some paper and pens as well, never know when they’ll come in handy. I just find that I work best in a digital ‘notepad’ if I can
One of the guys in our class used a macbook for all his notes without any issues

Gallius

We were all issued a tablet/laptop at the beginning of the course for us to use throughout. There were quite a few of us using them to take notes in class. I'm not sure if that was location specific but there shouldn't be an issue with you using your own in class if you wanted to

Kraken

We were all issued a tablet/laptop at the beginning of the course for us to use throughout. There were quite a few of us using them to take notes in class. I'm not sure if that was location specific but there shouldn't be an issue with you using your own in class if you wanted to

I want a piece of that action! We did get some Network Rail branded notepaper which is sweet an’ all, but it’s not an iPad.

Woody27

Hi guys, I was under the impression that you could re apply for a signaller position after 6 months from the previous failed application, and that any passed online assessments would be valid for 12 months, and you would be able to retake any that you had failed, is this not the case??