• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
For those thinking about the external signaller opportunities in Didcot, it looks like the local management are doing something different. There is a Facebook event with Q&A "meet the signallers"

Thurs 28/01/2020 @ 1.30pm
Join our LIVE Q&A session with Derek and Andrew, two of our Grade 9 Signallers based at our Thames Valley Signalling Centre. Find out what being a Grade 9 Signaller is like, the transferable skills you'd need to be successful and an insight into Derek and Andrew's background and why they chose Signalling! Find out more here: https://fb.me/e/3h2eWIsfL

Will be interesting to see if NR are doing recruitment differently now.

TVSC have to compete with some very hi tech / high wage jobs in the area, especially towards London. Grade 9 pay is at the low end the area, add in the sky high house prices and now the 60 minute travel rule they’ll struggle to keep and more importantly retain staff who aren’t legacy staff from Reading, Swindon or Slough panels who already live in the area.

On my course of 7 only 3 I think have stayed, the rest of us have moved in closer to home.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jholden

Does that marry up with what's on your payslip or there still a discrepancy?
Sort of, the rate seem correct but they’ve only put me down for 14 hours in total for both 12 hour shifts. It was very confusing as the Paydesk said nobody was paid 300% over Christmas and they had not heard of that rule. which turns out to be untrue.

bouff34

...and by Boxing Day do you mean Sat 26th or the official Bank Holiday of Mon 28th?? If it was Sat 26th then 300% is correct but Mon 28th is only 250%...

HDN

Good afternoon all, apologies if this has been asked and answered previously, too many pages to go through.

Quick question regarding applying for a signaller position. I applied a good few years ago, got an interview but no offer. I also applied last year and never even got the interview. With regards to the online application questions, are they looking for the STAR technique to be used when answering? I'm wondering if that is where I went wrong last time, as I know I didn't use it then.

FWIW I feel I've a lot of background experience in the RAF and Oil/Gas, now I'm wondering about the best way to get it across in these questions.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Rsteele1987

Good afternoon all, apologies if this has been asked and answered previously, too many pages to go through.

Quick question regarding applying for a signaller position. I applied a good few years ago, got an interview but no offer. I also applied last year and never even got the interview. With regards to the online application questions, are they looking for the STAR technique to be used when answering? I'm wondering if that is where I went wrong last time, as I know I didn't use it then.

FWIW I feel I've a lot of background experience in the RAF and Oil/Gas, now I'm wondering about the best way to get it across in these questions.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did. Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Hi HDN

I did not use STAR technique for the application questions, all my application questions were answered with a small paragraph, however in the interview I used star as I believe that’s what they are looking for. I have come from aviation engineering and offshore oil and gas and I managed to come up with quite a few experiences and examples to help with answering the questions. I applied to my first and only signalling role last year and I start on the 26th feb.

HDN

Hi HDN

I did not use STAR technique for the application questions, all my application questions were answered with a small paragraph, however in the interview I used star as I believe that’s what they are looking for. I have come from aviation engineering and offshore oil and gas and I managed to come up with quite a few experiences and examples to help with answering the questions. I applied to my first and only signalling role last year and I start on the 26th feb.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think STAR was the way to go for the online questions. As you say with regards your own application I have plenty examples to help with answering, probably just over analysing it.

Good luck come the 26th, with any luck I'll be back on here to ask more questions in the future.

Rover77

I know second guessing what a status update might mean is a bad idea and enough to make you lose your mind....but I'm going to ask anyway. My status had been under consideration for assessment 2 since Dec 7th. Yesterday it changed to Under Consideration. Not sure if its bad news or does it mean a hiring manager has had a look and not thrown me out yet?

Rsteele1987

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think STAR was the way to go for the online questions. As you say with regards your own application I have plenty examples to help with answering, probably just over analysing it.

Good luck come the 26th, with any luck I'll be back on here to ask more questions in the future.
Any questions at all I am happy to answer, just send them in my direction.

desrudy

On Moderation
Does anyone have informations about the Woking Grade 5 job or the panel ( Woking Signallers (103314) G1 ) .
I know there are 3 panels but i can not find their names and which one is adverted .
PS : i think it's the Woking Panel 3 but not 100%

High Dyke

Established Member
Do excuse the slightly stupid question, but is this some kind of evil thing in the railway world?
It can be, but old attitudes are slowly dying out. There's a few of us that retain 'old school' values with regards to overtime and Sunday turns, but there are also a number of colleagues that would shop their granny to grab the shift.

Defenestrate

Does anyone have informations about the Woking Grade 5 job or the panel ( Woking Signallers (103314) G1 ) .
I know there are 3 panels but i can not find their names and which one is adverted .
PS : i think it's the Woking Panel 3 but not 100%
I believe that the Woking grade 5 panel covers the Farnham area, whereas the other 2 panels make up the large main G8 Woking area panel.

SirDigby69

Morning all, hope everyone is well. Recently posted here as I was waiting on test results for a Grade 5 position and funnily enough had an email from NR 30 mins after I posted. The result wasn't the one I wanted, I didn't get an interview and my application wasn't considered any further. A bit down in the dumps I rang the recruitment service team to try to get some feedback and get my results for the three tests I undertook. Got through and the guy told me I had passed all of them and that the mark wasn’t necessarily important. I was then told I didn’t progress further as someone more suitable was found for the role. Just found this bit odd and vague?

Anyone else had an experience like this?

Cheers,

Rockhopper

They consider a lot more than the scores in the three tests, they look at your answers to the 69 questions, your CV and your covering letter.

SirDigby69

They consider a lot more than the scores in the three tests, they look at your answers to the 69 questions, your CV and your covering letter.
Thanks for the response rockhopper. I appreciate that there’s more than just the exams, just assumed they had checked over CV/covering letter and 69 questions as I went through the stages and received an invite to test. I am currently working in the construction/design industry so I'm hoping I have something to bring to the table in terms of applicable skills and experience. Would being a grade 5 role mean that the standards are much higher? End of the day I just need to take it on the chin and move on and keep an eye out for the next signaller role.

Cheers

Saracen_83

If you have a quick search of this forum you will see plenty of posts about the recruitment process and how it works, I think LOM even answered a few question this last summer..

In short, no one had looked at your cv or covering letter before your tests. It is a standard that everyone who applies for a role has to undertake those assessments.

Then those assessment scores along with the score you obtained on the 69 questions get added up. The highest of these get sent to the hiring manager who then whittles it down further (sully to the highest scoring 5 per vacancy) and these are invited to interview.

long story short, forget about the last job and apply to as many signaller jobs as you can.
Sort your cv and covering letter out so it is interesting and meets all relevant criteria in the job spec and essential criteria.
Ensure you answer as many questions as you can with a yes and an explanation for each (do not lie!!)
Apart from that good luck!

Chumba

Thanks for the response rockhopper. I appreciate that there’s more than just the exams, just assumed they had checked over CV/covering letter and 69 questions as I went through the stages and received an invite to test. I am currently working in the construction/design industry so I'm hoping I have something to bring to the table in terms of applicable skills and experience. Would being a grade 5 role mean that the standards are much higher? End of the day I just need to take it on the chin and move on and keep an eye out for the next signaller role.

Cheers

it’s just down to perseverance I’m afraid. I did over a dozen applications over a 2 year period. I used the same answers to the 69 questions, same CV every time. Some applications I got a straight knock back, some I got an interview. I was offered the reserve position on one and finally got offered the position on the last interview.

SirDigby69

If you have a quick search of this forum you will see plenty of posts about the recruitment process and how it works, I think LOM even answered a few question this last summer..

In short, no one had looked at your cv or covering letter before your tests. It is a standard that everyone who applies for a role has to undertake those assessments.

Then those assessment scores along with the score you obtained on the 69 questions get added up. The highest of these get sent to the hiring manager who then whittles it down further (sully to the highest scoring 5 per vacancy) and these are invited to interview.

long story short, forget about the last job and apply to as many signaller jobs as you can.
Sort your cv and covering letter out so it is interesting and meets all relevant criteria in the job spec and essential criteria.
Ensure you answer as many questions as you can with a yes and an explanation for each (do not lie!!)
Apart from that good luck!
it’s just down to perseverance I’m afraid. I did over a dozen applications over a 2 year period. I used the same answers to the 69 questions, same CV every time. Some applications I got a straight knock back, some I got an interview. I was offered the reserve position on one and finally got offered the position on the last interview.
Many thanks for your reposnes and guidance guys, I need read through this thread fully to try find those LOM answers, would be interesting to see. Thanks again

Scotsoup

Thanks for the replies to my post.

Application in and tests received but frustratingly it says you need to use a laptop not a tablet! I only have my work laptop.

Are there lots of female signallers? The only one I’ve ever met was female so just wondering if it’s a pretty even split.

Application in and tests received but frustratingly it says you need to use a laptop not a tablet! I only have my work laptop.

Are there lots of female signallers? The only one I’ve ever met was female so just wondering if it’s a pretty even split.
I wouldn't say it's an even split but there are plenty of female signallers out there. I think there are 6 at my box and there were 2 on my IST course out of a total of 7 learners

Rigchick

Another one here just about to start IST:D

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

The company has a commitment to a 50/50 split across all operations so the recruitment of ladies is very very much encouraged.

At may location in the last 18 months we’ve gone from 3 to 14!

Long may it continue as well, ladies tend to be more interested in the work, more engaged and less likely to spread Chinese whispers and gossip!

Sunset route

Out of the 87 signallers at my location only one is female.

Scotsoup

Brilliant. Thanks for the responses. Will get my tests done and hope for the best.

Sorry another question from me!
Has anyone successfully completed the tests on an iPad? It says quite clearly in the email it won’t work however the SHL practice tests work on it. I’m prepared to buy a laptop to sit them but concerned I wouldn’t get it before my 5 days are up. With Covid it’s not as easy as popping to the library to use a computer.

Also, is it correct I can only do the tests once on the SHL website? Had hoped to do them a few times.

Thanks in advance. I am slowly making my way through the thread. Some great info.

Last edited:
I think you can check if they’ll work - follow the link and see what happens. I seem to remember there’s a step where it confirms if the system requirements are met, and shows a practice example etc, before starting the proper test. It told me I had to use a different browser (I use a Mac).

You can’t sit them more than once, that’s the point really, testing your ability to be a signaller. There’s lots of practice materials out there though but not the actual tests. If you aren’t happy with them, or fail, you can resit them after 6 months I think.

Rubble

Brilliant. Thanks for the responses. Will get my tests done and hope for the best.

Sorry another question from me!
Has anyone successfully completed the tests on an iPad? It says quite clearly in the email it won’t work however the SHL practice tests work on it. I’m prepared to buy a laptop to sit them but concerned I wouldn’t get it before my 5 days are up. With Covid it’s not as easy as popping to the library to use a computer.

Also, is it correct I can only do the tests once on the SHL website? Had hoped to do them a few times.

Thanks in advance. I am slowly making my way through the thread. Some great info.
I did mine on an iPad