• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Highlandspring

Established Member
There’s a difference between having a professional interest in the job and being a spotter. The last thing a manager wants is to employ someone who’s more interested in looking up trains on TRUST to post information online or taking photos out of the box window than actually doing their job in a professional manner. There are quite a few railway enthusiasts in Control (they’re the ones who’ll trot over to the window when something interesting is due past) and in my experience most controllers are ‘interested’ in the job to an extent - me included - but it’s all kept pretty low key. You won’t do well at an interview for a signaller job if you come across as too much of a Nigel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tosh

As a long time lurker on this thread, I have waded through nearly every page now. Some great advice and knowledge - thank you to all of you who have taken the time to contribute. It's truly invaluable and overwhelmingly positive.

I have made a handful of applications to various signaller positions recently, having decided it's time for a career change. I've been considering signalling for some time and I'm really keen to make the move. I've made it through the tests and am reaching the next stage, but I am not getting near an interview. Like I'm sure everyone does, I feel that I have good answers and examples to all of the test questions, partly through my current work (teaching) but also from when I worked in Ops Planning in what was then Railtrack about 20 years ago. I am picking up that there are a lot of people applying for these posts at the moment. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether my previous experience on the railway is likely to help me to stand out, and if so, is there any way of flagging this up with HR when applying other than putting it on my CV and cover letter, and in my answers to the test questions?

Equally, does anyone have any tips on how to make your CV and cover letter stand out as an external applicant, apart from addressing all of the job advert criteria and the non-technical skills - is there actually anything else I can do here?

Perhaps I just need to be patient, persevere and accept that I could be in this for the long haul...

nom de guerre

There’s a difference between having a professional interest in the job and being a spotter. The last thing a manager wants is to employ someone who’s more interested in looking up trains on TRUST to post information online or taking photos out of the box window than actually doing their job in a professional manner. There are quite a few railway enthusiasts in Control (they’re the ones who’ll trot over to the window when something interesting is due past) and in my experience most controllers are ‘interested’ in the job to an extent - me included - but it’s all kept pretty low key. You won’t do well at an interview for a signaller job if you come across as too much of a Nigel.

Exactly: having/expressing an interest is no impediment to getting a job, unless you go way OTT.

Which is rather different from baldly stating that any mention of an interest will count against you...

Incidentally, I've had 'crank' controllers visit a single-manned box I worked to... take photos out of the window!

Llanigraham

Established Member
Incidentally, I've had 'crank' controllers visit a single-manned box I worked to... take photos out of the window!

Particularly in a single manned Box; your Box, your Rules!
I even refused entry to someone from the RAIB until they produced ID.
And I've told someone to leave when we had an incident and I considered they would be a distraction.

Hi all!

I’m nearing the end of my IST to be a relief signaller, and I’m just wondering when my FP will start to be paid?

Yes, I am aware this question has been asked before, and yes, I am aware of the search facility and have used it in the hope of finding the answer. Unfortunately I found a mixture of answers including people claiming to have received their full FP while at IST, half their FP while at IST, but paid after completion, no FP pay until passed out of their first box, or full FP after IST but before passing out anywhere. I also vaguely remember reading someone saying that you get your ‘full wage’ 12 weeks after employment, regardless of if you pass IST first time round sort of thing? It’s all a bit confusing and although I could ask my LOM or WDS I don’t really want to seem money hungry. Any concrete, definite answers would be hugely appreciated.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Particularly in a single manned Box; your Box, your Rules!
I even refused entry to someone from the RAIB until they produced ID.
And I've told someone to leave when we had an incident and I considered they would be a distraction.
I’ve seen it from both sides. As a signaller I’ve put up with my fair share of unwelcome and unwanted visitors in the box but equally in Control I once had to ask a signaller on a visit to leave me alone while I was managing a fatality because he just wouldn’t shut up and watch but preferred to wade in with ‘helpful’ suggestions of his own. My desk, my rules.

WL113

The same rules apply whether its a single manned box, a panel in a PSB or a workstation in a signalling centre/ROC. The Signaller is in charge. Don't be afraid to refuse entry to anyone you don't want around.

nom de guerre

Hi all!

I’m nearing the end of my IST to be a relief signaller, and I’m just wondering when my FP will start to be paid?

Yes, I am aware this question has been asked before, and yes, I am aware of the search facility and have used it in the hope of finding the answer. Unfortunately I found a mixture of answers including people claiming to have received their full FP while at IST, half their FP while at IST, but paid after completion, no FP pay until passed out of their first box, or full FP after IST but before passing out anywhere. I also vaguely remember reading someone saying that you get your ‘full wage’ 12 weeks after employment, regardless of if you pass IST first time round sort of thing? It’s all a bit confusing and although I could ask my LOM or WDS I don’t really want to seem money hungry. Any concrete, definite answers would be hugely appreciated.

Asking your LOM won't seem "money hungry", IMO. It's a perfectly reasonable request.

Assuming you're a GPR (i.e. multi-location) relief, my understanding is that you will only be eligible for FP once you've passed out at a certain number of locations (the precise number varies from job to job, depending on how many locations covered and local custom).

I've personally never heard of a relief being paid FP at school, or before passing out anywhere - but judging by some of the historic posts you found, I guess it must have happened.

... but equally in Control I once had to ask a signaller on a visit to leave me alone while I was managing a fatality because he just wouldn’t shut up and watch but preferred to wade in with ‘helpful’ suggestions of his own.

I had one and by unfortunate coincidence, the OM and various other managers were in the building for a meeting. Their pagers/whatever must've all started bleeping in unison because minutes later, they all came to stand right behind my workstation - and, you've guessed it, the OM (who'd never worked as a signaller) started offering 'helpful' advice :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Quib84

Wonder if someone might be able to give me some incite. I have recently applied for a grade 4 signaler position and have recently sat my online assessments. Today I received an email saying that my application was being considered, does anyone know if this means I have passed the online assessments or very much a generic reply.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Word of warning regarding any allowances, make 100% sure you entitled to it from the point you start getting it. Payroll audit, if youve had one penny more than you should the WILL want it back no matter how long it’s been, they give zero thought to how recovering THEIR error will effect you. Policy is 15% of salary for the shortest period to recover the debt THEY paid in error.

Multi location premiums (12%+) rapidly increase the debt each month.

High Dyke

Established Member
Would anyone recommend a secondment to Doncaster PSB for 12 months - Grade 9?
They do say that you have to be in it to win it. I've had colleagues that went to locations like that as a secondment, and secured permanent positions - equally you could be returned to your previous role at the end of a secondment. Whilst I can't share details there are changes afoot in Doncaster PSB regarding creation of new roles, but not creating vacancies. These will be dealt with under the current rules regarding promotion and transfer, which will come down to preference and seniority.

BrummiePete

Wonder if someone might be able to give me some incite. I have recently applied for a grade 4 signaler position and have recently sat my online assessments. Today I received an email saying that my application was being considered, does anyone know if this means I have passed the online assessments or very much a generic reply.
If it says "Under Consideration for Assessment 2" to does mean you reached the required benchmark in the 3 online assessments and you are now being considered for an interview.

Next update should either be an invite to interview or a thanks but no thanks.

Fingers crossed for you

Quib84

If it says "Under Consideration for Assessment 2" to does mean you reached the required benchmark in the 3 online assessments and you are now being considered for an interview.

Next update should either be an invite to interview or a thanks but no thanks.

Fingers crossed for you
Thanks, appreciate that. I went onto my application and it is still sitting at test completed, although shows this twice. Should there be three? I’ve doubled checked that all tests have been completed.

BrummiePete

Thanks, appreciate that. I went onto my application and it is still sitting at test completed, although shows this twice. Should there be three? I’ve doubled checked that all tests have been completed.
Wouldn't worry too much, your tests will have been completed and i think sometimes if HR update the application it shows as an update in your portal and might be why it says application being considered again. As i said the next stage will be interview or unsuccessful and an email will confirm which.

Quib84

Wouldn't worry too much, your tests will have been completed and i think sometimes if HR update the application it shows as an update in your portal and might be why it says application being considered again. As i said the next stage will be interview or unsuccessful and an email will confirm which.
Brilliant. Appreciate the incite.

Kraken

Hi all!

I’ve just finished IST and am going to be a GPR. I got paid my FP from the day I joined the company and contacted my LOM to double check whether I ought to be getting it. The result was I had to pay back all the FP I received in one whack which wasn’t much fun!

My LOM has told me that I will get off training pay when I pass out of my first box, then when I have passed out for 50% of the locations I’m going to be covering I will get the FP.

89jordanbj

I’ve just finished IST and am going to be a GPR. I got paid my FP from the day I joined the company and contacted my LOM to double check whether I ought to be getting it. The result was I had to pay back all the FP I received in one whack which wasn’t much fun!

My LOM has told me that I will get off training pay when I pass out of my first box, then when I have passed out for 50% of the locations I’m going to be covering I will get the FP.
Ouch, would have saved a lot of hassle if they had just done it correctly in the first place.

Did they just take the pay from your next pay packet so that tax etc gets taken into account?

I have just been given a verbal offer for a relief position so I will clarify with my new LOM re FP pay once he has sorted my release from my current LOM. I don't want to end up getting the wrong pay and hassle down the line.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ouch, would have saved a lot of hassle if they had just done it correctly in the first place.

Did they just take the pay from your next pay packet so that tax etc gets taken into account?

I have just been given a verbal offer for a relief position so I will clarify with my new LOM re FP pay once he has sorted my release from my current LOM. I don't want to end up getting the wrong pay and hassle down the line.

Y Fenni Relief ? ;)

nom de guerre

This is more or less the norm, I'd say. Receiving FP at school is a red flag. Receiving FP before passing out at half your locations is also likely to be a mistake (although there is some local variation). As Tom said upthread: if there is any doubt at all, speak to your LOM.

BrummiePete

Wondering if anyone knows the criteria for the different rates for relief flexibility premium?

I know the 4% is for relief in a single location (eg Power Box or ROC) but not sure how the other rates are done, think it is either 18% or 24% (not aware of anything in between 4% and 18%) so guessing it is either on number of boxes you cover, the mileage between boxes you cover or a combination of both

Thanks

Kraken

Yeah they took it back out in one pay packet and I consequently paid less tax so all is square in the end. The Network Rail payroll people were extremely helpful and open and had I wanted to I could have spread it over several pay periods.

I’d an inkling from a previous forum member that this might happen so as soon as I got paid the FP in my first pay packet I put it aside for when I inevitably had to pay it back!

Highlandspring

Established Member
Wondering if anyone knows the criteria for the different rates for relief flexibility premium?

I know the 4% is for relief in a single location (eg Power Box or ROC) but not sure how the other rates are done, think it is either 18% or 24% (not aware of anything in between 4% and 18%) so guessing it is either on number of boxes you cover, the mileage between boxes you cover or a combination of both

Thanks

4%, 12%, 18%, 24% and 32%. It’s done on a combination of mileage and number of boxes as you say, and for RDR how many turns in the base roster are ‘unrostered’ (i.e. how many spare days without a booked shift)

Trackboy

Talking about all this pay related queries. Makes me wonder about my position... I am currently working in grade 5 position have secured Grade 7 position. But I have not been released from my grade 5 position yet but I am claiming Grade 7 pay as it had been nearly a year now.

If now I was to apply for grade 8 or 9 job and assuming I secure the job. Would I have to pay back grade 7 pay back? Although it's not my fault I can't be released from my current grade 5.

nom de guerre

Talking about all this pay related queries. Makes me wonder about my position... I am currently working in grade 5 position have secured Grade 7 position. But I have not been released from my grade 5 position yet but I am claiming Grade 7 pay as it had been nearly a year now.

If now I was to apply for grade 8 or 9 job and assuming I secure the job. Would I have to pay back grade 7 pay back? Although it's not my fault I can't be released from my current grade 5.

I remember you mentioning this a little while ago. Have you spoken to your union rep (as we suggested then)?

Realistically, I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to keep HGD pay for the Grade 7 if you voluntarily elected to move to a G8 or G9 instead. If you choose not to pass out at the G7, I strongly suspect you'd be asked to repay that HGD pay - but your union rep should hopefully be able to confirm.

There have occasionally been situations when the company have allowed signallers to keep hefty amounts of HGD pay, but that has usually been linked to cancelled/postponed resignalling schemes and short staffing* - not a signaller choosing to leave because they got fed up of waiting to be released.

*I know three G5 + 24% reliefs that were allowed to keep 1-2 years' worth of G8/G9 + 24% HGD pay after a cancelled resignalling scheme.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

That would get messy! I’d suggest get installing in your grade 7 job then go for another job later.

Remember, pay errors are NEVER payrolls fault... it’s ALWAYS yours!