• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

SWTurbo

Only heard of one: Salisbury Relief - Grade 7 + 32% (approx 50 mile radius from base).

Some info available via the search function.
Where else do they work? Westbury? I'm local to Salisbury so fairly keen to find out more!
Didn't realise it was G7 however makes sense when you think about it!
Another (possibly rather thick) question, who (aside from Westbury PSB obviously) fringes with salisbury?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Where else do they work? Westbury? I'm local to Salisbury so fairly keen to find out more!
Didn't realise it was G7 however makes sense when you think about it!
Another (possibly rather thick) question, who (aside from Westbury PSB obviously) fringes with salisbury?

Westbury on the Western route, Basingstoke Panel going towards Yeovil, Eastleigh on the Southampton route.

Id expect now Yeovil has gone the relief job at Salisbury is a very cushy number, maybe they work the remaining manual boxes towards London perhaps?

SWTurbo

Westbury on the Western route, Basingstoke Panel going towards Yeovil, Eastleigh on the Southampton route.

Id expect now Yeovil has gone the relief job at Salisbury is a very cushy number, maybe they work the remaining manual boxes towards London perhaps?
Ooooh nice, I take it a post at Salisbury is “dead mans shoes?” It’s definitely somewhere I’d want!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ooooh nice, I take it a post at Salisbury is “dead mans shoes?” It’s definitely somewhere I’d want!

I enquired about the G7 + 32 % relief job with the LOM, but got no reply.

Id assume a job like is earmarked for someone before the recruitment process even starts, or it’s a paper job.

nom de guerre

We used to have a Grade 1 crossing keeper, now retired, on 32% FP. He earned nearly as much as some grades above him.

Sounds like a class gig!

Having spouted off about how rare 32% jobs are, I've been made aware there's one on the current internal list (although I don't think it's listed as such). 8hr roster though.

Pen Mill is still alive and well, AFAIK?

Salisbury also fringes with Basingstoke on the London side (just east of Laverstock).

The relief job is a Grade 7 because it covers Basingstoke (Salisbury itself is a 6). Last time it was advertised, the locals on here indicated the reliefs tended to spend most of their time covering the crappest shifts at Basing.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Sounds like a class gig!

Having spouted off about how rare 32% jobs are, I've been made aware there's one on the current internal list (although I don't think it's listed as such). 8hr roster though.

Pen Mill is still alive and well, AFAIK?

Salisbury also fringes with Basingstoke on the London side (just east of Laverstock).

The relief job is a Grade 7 because it covers Basingstoke (Salisbury itself is a 6). Last time it was advertised, the locals on here indicated the reliefs tended to spend most of their time covering the crappest shifts at Basing.

Yeovil Pen Mill is still very much alive and well yes, I’d assume the relief job used to cover Yeovil Junction as well as any boxes down towards Exmouth ?

The life of a relief, covering the crap unwanted turns at Basingstoke panel Love it.

I forgot about the triangle at Laverstock Junction, Eastleigh panel down towards Romsey and Basingstoke the London way as you said.

vinchase

Job security will be a huge issue in the next five years, driving isn’t the golden ticket it was only 18 months ago.

There is real talk of reducing staff numbers, okay drivers aren’t anywhere near the top of the hit list but you guys are on there especially from the green eyes monster gang.

Where there is one train or twenty trains you need a signaller to oversee the railway, even on routes with no service there is a signaller booked on duty.

There’s a box near me which has one booked train a day, it’s manned 18hrs a day 6 days a week!

Throughout the C19 issue no signaller has been furlonged or had their hours reduced.

Salary, even grade 10 signalling is comparable to the lowest driving salary at £50,000.

Obviously £60,000 is becoming the standard barer in terms of driver salary now, that’s £60,000 basic which you’ll get with doing zero RDW over overtime which is near impossible with Spare compulsory overtime added etc

Grade 6 you can do easily £80,000 with a bit of RDW obviously only your base is pensionable.

I know blokes at my place who do £110,000 + but they don’t see their families !

Grade 7 you’ll do £80,000-£90,000 without much effort and with seeing your kids.

Progression, Network Rail is flipping massive progression wise the world is your oyster you’ll also benefit from a final salary pension on RPS 40 scheme after 5 years service. Most if not all TOCs don’t offer this anymore.

Everyday is different in some shape or form as a signaller, okay driving is the same but you’ll likely have a fairly similar routine day in day out.

Shifts as a driver vary from 0317 to 1006, 1441 to 2331 you get my meaning. Signallers work 0600-1800 etc.

You can go for a pee or make a tea when you want, unlike driving.

I was offered a driving job way back in 2011 unfortunately unbeknown to me my sight wasn’t good enough in one eye, only then did signalling come into my view.

Looking back it was a godsend to be honest, after over decade as a guard my patients with passengers wouldn’t of lasted, the closest I come to them now is waving as they go by the box !

ultimately it’s only a choice you can make, personally all things considered it would be signalling.

But...signalling isn’t the next best option you need to be 100% invested in it

The only thing I miss about being a guard is the fresh air and travelling along on a summers night with the windows open and the cab heater on lol

Life as a signaller is great, if you choose that path you won’t regret it.
really insightful! thanks for this message, im in a similar position, however i start the role as a grade 4 signaller in Derby in March and really looking forward to it. i understand alot of work and effort to get where i need to be, but looking forward to the challenge! in terms of progression, how frequent are opportunities to progress through the grades, whats a realistic time scale from pass out?

ILoveLamp

. Very strange one. Just checked on the status of my application. It now says application withdrawn. I was expecting it to go to unsuccessful as I haven't been interviewed. I know others were interviews this week.So its gone from under consideration for assessment 2 to under consideration now to application withdrawn. Any ideas anyone

Just got the email. More suitable candidate identified. Ready and waiting for the next one.
What position was this for out of interest, if you don’t mind me asking?

nom de guerre

Yeovil Pen Mill is still very much alive and well yes, I’d assume the relief job used to cover Yeovil Junction as well as any boxes down towards Exmouth ?

The life of a relief, covering the crap unwanted turns at Basingstoke panel Love it.

From memory, I think Pen Mill and Dorchester were (are?) the furthest from base. But Salisbury aren't the only reliefs to cover that patch.

At least if you spent most of your time covering the crappest G7 turns at Basing, you'd be trousering 32% for the 'privilege' :E

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Dorchester South isn’t it on the Southern, with the West station on Western route or is it the other way round ?
Nice little away day to Yeovil would be nice even on 4% let alone 32!

Sammy2019

I’m due to start next week. I’ve read the joining instructions which state we have to complete an online rail industry induction. Presumably we should complete this before joining the company?

has anyone else had trouble with this induction? It all seems simple and easy to understand yet I just can’t pass the test at the end. I’ve re read every page and completed the test many many times and just cannot complete it. Feel like an idiot as I cannot work out which question it is I’ve got wrong.

I didn’t really want to bother my LOM with this question. And yes I have tried the search bar.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

SignallerJohn

really insightful! thanks for this message, im in a similar position, however i start the role as a grade 4 signaller in Derby in March and really looking forward to it. i understand alot of work and effort to get where i need to be, but looking forward to the challenge! in terms of progression, how frequent are opportunities to progress through the grades, whats a realistic time scale from pass out?
Passing out should never be rushed by the trainee or the LOM. Everyone’s time scale is different I’ve seen all kinds.

It depends if you’re new to the railway, how much stuff goes wrong while your on a shift (chances are it won’t until your first day after passing out). Generally the higher the grade the longer period to pass out but this isn’t a hard or fast rule.

Progression is always available but I would stress don’t look to the next objective until you’re finished this one, not only to avoid distraction but also not to annoy your LOM and colleagues lol.

I’m due to start next week. I’ve read the joining instructions which state we have to complete an online rail industry induction. Presumably we should complete this before joining the company?

has anyone else had trouble with this induction? It all seems simple and easy to understand yet I just can’t pass the test at the end. I’ve re read every page and completed the test many many times and just cannot complete it. Feel like an idiot as I cannot work out which question it is I’ve got wrong.

I didn’t really want to bother my LOM with this question. And yes I have tried the search bar.

thanks.
You will learn on the railway, no question is a stupid one. So asking your LOM is the best thing to do!

Amy1090

thanks.
Hey, I’m at IST at the minute and not one person in my group managed to pass it before starting so I really wouldn’t worry :) it is the wording of one of the last questions that confuses things. Can’t remember which one but it wasn’t even mentioned at IST by the trainers.

Kraken

thanks.

Mate I spent ages with that bloody thing and couldn’t get it right. The same as Amy said, none of my group managed it either and it wasn’t a problem. The main thing is you’ve had a stab but don’t worry about it at all.

Just passed my IST final observation I’m delighted to say. I’m excited to start in a proper box in a day or two and start learning all over again! Cheers as ever for all the help on this forum.

Sammy2019

Hey, I’m at IST at the minute and not one person in my group managed to pass it before starting so I really wouldn’t worry :) it is the wording of one of the last questions that confuses things. Can’t remember which one but it wasn’t even mentioned at IST by the trainers.
Thanks Amy that’s a relief, thought it was me being thick. Hope IST is all going well.

Mate I spent ages with that bloody thing and couldn’t get it right. The same as Amy said, none of my group managed it either and it wasn’t a problem. The main thing is you’ve had a stab but don’t worry about it at all.

Just passed my IST final observation I’m delighted to say. I’m excited to start in a proper box in a day or two and start learning all over again! Cheers as ever for all the help on this forum.
Yeah mate it’s so frustrating lol.

That’s Excellent news, how did you find IST?

Kraken

Thanks Amy that’s a relief, thought it was me being thick. Hope IST is all going well.

Yeah mate it’s so frustrating lol.

That’s Excellent news, how did you find IST?
It was hard work, but it was genuinely really enjoyable and to be honest there’s a part of me that’s sad it’s done. The instructors are a really class bunch who know their onions and will bend over backwards to help you through as long as you put the work in. It’s definitely not handed to you on a plate but that just means that the sense of achievement you get at the end is all the greater for having worked for it. We didn’t lose anyone off my group due to failing assessments.

You’ll have a great time - my only piece of advice would be not to panic if it doesn’t all come together for you in the first few weeks. The process eventually clicked with all of us but at a different speeds so if you feel like the only one who is not getting it, don’t worry. I’m a bit jealous of you starting afresh!

Edit: And for God’s sake don’t do what I did and neglect your revision in the first few weeks. I got to week 6 (where you first have a written assessment) and had a huge panic because I realised I was way behind on my knowledge because I frankly hadn’t done enough revision as I was going along in the first few weeks. I passed it but only after 3 or 4 stupidly long days.

BIG_AL_89

Afternoon all (sorry if this has been posted lots of times before - I couldn't find anything). I'm currently in the process of doing my signaller verbal/non verbal tests. I did a practice test on the SHL website. Whatever I do now it won't let me re-take the practice test, i'm 100% sure it wasn't the "proper" test. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks

BrummiePete

It depends, I’ve had both!

One was more or less like a pure external interview zero signalling questions asked, the second one was 100% signalling asking a lot of “what would you do if...” “if XYZ was...what would you do” etc

If it’s your home route I’d venture to say it’ll probably be the signalling format, but prepare for both I’d say
Am i correct to presume that if an interview includes both signaller and non signaller applicants (all internal) then it will be criteria based around the NTS + Safety, again presuming the panel can't have a different set of questions for different applicants?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Am i correct to presume that if an interview includes both signaller and non signaller applicants (all internal) then it will be criteria based around the NTS + Safety, again presuming the panel can't have a different set of questions for different applicants?

My example was two separate interviews across two different routes, each interview was wholly based on either “external” style NTS questions with the other based solely on qualified signaller competencies.

nom de guerre

I think your presumptions are correct.

If you search this thread, I’m fairly sure LOM posted some relevant info.

RedMum77

I am top of the world. Don't know if any of you remember, last Autumn I was put on a reserve list on the back of the Futures application. Well I've just had a call offering me a job at Egginton

Any info on the box welcomed cos my head is spinning right now with joy

T-Karmel

I am top of the world. Don't know if any of you remember, last Autumn I was put on a reserve list on the back of the Futures application. Well I've just had a call offering me a job at Egginton

Wonderful! Congrats! It was worth the wait.

RedMum77

Wonderful! Congrats! It was worth the wait.
Oh very much so! I've been buzzing all evening. Just need to know a bit about the box now. Grade 2 position but don't know what the shifts are, how busy it is, anything and the search function on here reveals little.

York signalling school from 26th April im told, just waiting for paperwork to confirm everything.

Rover77

I've applied for the future signaller opportunities in the northwest. In the advert it states that signaller training is 12 weeks in the northwest. Has anyone any idea where this may be?

Rigchick

I've applied for the future signaller opportunities in the northwest. In the advert it states that signaller training is 12 weeks in the northwest. Has anyone any idea where this may be?
There is a school currently in Preston and Manchester but they’re in the process of setting one up in Carlisle too

MMM

Congratulations!

Egginton is a lever frame fringe box between Derby and Tutbury, so Track Circuit Block towards Derby and Absolute Block towards Stoke. No nights. Approx 8½hr shifts. 1 train each way an hour. It has a manned level crossing (Hilton), 3 user worked crossings and 2 AHBCs and a crossover. Anything else?

SmokeAndJoe

Pretty sure you should be getting the FP as soon as you pass out in the second box, at that point you are flexible.

The problem is that as soon as you've passed out one box, if they start using you to cover a vacancy in that location, you may not get the chance to learn anywhere for a year potentially.

If they start rostering you in after you pass out one box, I'd ask for the FP then.

Speak to your local union rep too
I’ve just finished IST and am going to be a GPR. I got paid my FP from the day I joined the company and contacted my LOM to double check whether I ought to be getting it. The result was I had to pay back all the FP I received in one whack which wasn’t much fun!

My LOM has told me that I will get off training pay when I pass out of my first box, then when I have passed out for 50% of the locations I’m going to be covering I will get the FP.

Does anyone work at/have experience of Doncaster PSB or York ROC (specifically the King's Cross link(s))?
If so, would you be able to send me a PM, so I can ask some questions?
I've seen the jobs advertised internally only, so don't want to clog up the thread!
Thanks in advance!
Ive been known to work the KX Panels...

I don’t really do that much overtime to be honest, well it doesn’t seem it anyway.

We’ve had a steady stream of new guys arrive since October, but they’ve been populating the grade 4 & 5 link. Our link hasn’t seen a fresh bodies other than those coming across from the historic recruitment internally from about 18 months ago.

My link is 95% still from the former panel box, with I’d say a good 5-10 who are approaching the point where their looking at retiring in the next 24 months.

At the moment there’s little overtime on offer to me and others as we operate the infamous “tick list” so those who work throughout the year effectively get barred from overtime from Jan to Apr as our counts (number of overtime days worked) is high compared to those fair weather people who only do overtime when it suits.
Why aren't they getting averaged out when they make themselves available?

Last edited:

Rover77

There is a school currently in Preston and Manchester but they’re in the process of setting one up in Carlisle too
Ok. Thanks. The application was a bit different this time. Only 14 questions instead of the usual 70. Had an email today saying I will know by March 18th. I'm hoping they haven't changed too much as my SHL passes are good until end of June.