• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ArchangelA

Just an update, I completed a few of the newer AON assessments today for the G4 position, felt I did well at some and bombed others lol

I'll hear back from them by next week, so fingers crossed!
Whatever they are, they look FAAAAAARRRRRR better than those bloody SHL tests they used to use, Would anyone agree?

Thank you, I have tried that number this morning in hope that someone was working but the line was dead...typical!! I’ll give it another go in the morning, thanks again.

I will be sure to let you know how I get on.
Did you pass the online tests at all? Any tips?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C00k1e

Whatever they are, they look FAAAAAARRRRRR better than those bloody SHL tests they used to use, Would anyone agree?

Did you pass the online tests at all? Any tips?
Not sure yet!! I will find out before 25th, hopefully. There are practice examples before each test so I would advise practice those as many times as possible and have a look at the videos on the Aon website (I put a link up in an earlier post) as they are useful too.
Have you got some assessments that you are due to take?

ArchangelA

Not sure yet!! I will find out before 25th, hopefully. There are practice examples before each test so I would advise practice those as many times as possible and have a look at the videos on the Aon website (I put a link up in an earlier post) as they are useful too.
Have you got some assessments that you are due to take?
Yep applied for a post nearby, just awaiting paper-sift and call to tests. I expect that they'll be the same as it's all done virtually these days. I've watched the videos that you very kindly linked here and they don't seem too bad? Was just after any advice for completion for when I come to do them.

Buiadh

I did my scenario questions yesterday. Does receiving the invite for the scenarios mean that I 'passed' the assessments, or not necessarily?

The scenarios went better than I thought they would. I wrote quite a lot for them in the planning sections so it took me more than the 1-1.5hr it was supposed to, but they were pretty fun!

Now the wait to see how I got on.

ArchangelA

I did my scenario questions yesterday. Does receiving the invite for the scenarios mean that I 'passed' the assessments, or not necessarily?

The scenarios went better than I thought they would. I wrote quite a lot for them in the planning sections so it took me more than the 1-1.5hr it was supposed to, but they were pretty fun!

Now the wait to see how I got on.
What do the scenarios involve?

Tyke41

Yep applied for a post nearby, just awaiting paper-sift and call to tests. I expect that they'll be the same as it's all done virtually these days. I've watched the videos that you very kindly linked here and they don't seem too bad? Was just after any advice for completion for when I come to do them.
I did the SHL tests... the best advice I could give and I'm sure the same applies for the AON tests is to just practice as many tests as you can, I bought a package via jobstests prep ... (think that's what is was called) it enabled me to practice similar tests. I remember looking at the shapes type test and saying to my Mrs that I would never "get" what they are looking for.. Just practice and prep will get you through

What do the scenarios involve?
Best advice re the scanarios is "attention to detail" and think outside of the box... Listen to what is said to you and react accordingly with a sensible balanced mindset..

MylesHSG

So they got rid of the elevator beep test then, god that was a toughie at the harder levels!

ArchangelA

I hope it's ok to post this!

So, there were 5 tests total.

- "Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire": You get two statements on either side of the screen and six boxes left to right below them. You click on the boxes below to show how much you agree with the statements, clicking the box far to one side indicates you strongly agree with that statement and disagree with the one at theother side, the boxes around the middle (there's no box in the exact middle obviously) indicate you don't feel strongly one way or the other. Obviously neither statement tended to be "worse" than the other as such. I tried to go with instinct on this but some required a bit of thought.

- "Ability to Concentrate": You're looking for a letter 'E' with three dots around it. Within a box, different letters and numbers will appear with different numbers of dots and your task is to say if it is, or is not an E with three dots around it. I did ok with this, one stupid error.

- "Reaction Speed": Two boxes with various shapes in that change every second, your task is to click the button when the symbols match. Pretty simple, managed without any problems.

- "Multi-tasking Capability": You have to perform three reasonably simple tasks at once. The first task contains five or six symbols, one of these symbols will be either a '<' or a'>' and you have to click on the corresponding arrow below it before the little timer runs out. Second task is a simple maths problem with five digits to add or subtract and an answer, you have to say if it's correct or incorrect. Third task is a row of six or so numbers from zero to nine and you have to say if the row contains a duplicate number or not. I felt I did ok at this, I made a few maths errors but otherwise felt it went alright.

-"gridChallenge": Three tasks each with three levels. You are shown a lot of random dots, one will glow which you are to memorise. You are then given a challenge that will vary between checking if the pattern is symmetrical, two shapes that you have to say if they're rotation copies of the other (some are mirrored too), and one where you join lines. Between each of these challenges you are shown another dot on the grid that is glowing. On level one you have to memorise three dot locations, level two has four dots and level three has five dots and enter them in the right order that they were shown to you to complete the level. This one was by far the most challenging and I know I made a few mistakes here.
I've just completed these AON tests, and I was doing ok until the last two. I wouldn't say the SJT questions were easy either-you really do have to think long and hard about them. I'm glad they're not timed lol.
Made a couple of mistakes in relation of the multi tasking one,
made more than a couple of mistakes for the grid challenge!!
I'm not holding out any hope :(

You had any news yet?

Buiadh

I've just completed these AON tests, and I was doing ok until the last two. I wouldn't say the SJT questions were easy either-you really do have to think long and hard about them. I'm glad they're not timed lol.
Made a couple of mistakes in relation of the multi tasking one,
made more than a couple of mistakes for the grid challenge!!
I'm not holding out any hope :(

You had any news yet?
Not yet, but the date to complete was this Sunday and the email said I'd hear back by Tuesday so hopefully by the start of next week.

The grid challenge was a real pain! But I'm trying to stay hopeful.

Good luck!

ArchangelA

Not yet, but the date to complete was this Sunday and the email said I'd hear back by Tuesday so hopefully by the start of next week.

The grid challenge was a real pain! But I'm trying to stay hopeful.

Good luck!
Good luck to you too! I'm not holding my breath personally but we shall see!

Buiadh

Got an interview for next week, glad to have passed the latest hurdle but anxious/excited about the next one!

Lot's of preparation time at least.

Buiadh

Thanks folks, a fair bit of fishing through this thread and planning required!

Can anyone shed some light on how relief premiums are calculated please?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Thanks folks, a fair bit of fishing through this thread and planning required!

Can anyone shed some light on how relief premiums are calculated please?

Each signaller has a ‘home station’ or base location. Years ago under the old T&Cs relief signallers were paid ‘walking time’ for shifts away from their home station, this was a payment which literally was supposed to cover the time spent walking (not driving or using public transport but *walking*, though in practice after about 1950 no one did) to and from their home station and wherever their shift was. With the general reduction in the number of staff and signalboxes over the years the size of the relief areas grew and many reliefs made more from the walking time than they did out of the shift and should, theoretically at least, have passed themselves ‘walking’ to work while they were ‘walking’ home.

In an effort to sort this obvious nonsense walking time was replaced in the 1990s by the flexibility premium. The idea was that there would be an element of compensation for both the wear and tear/fuel use on your car travelling to different locations and the unpredictable nature of being messed around and working different shifts every week. The rates take into account the number of locations a relief is passed to work, number of unrostered turns on the base roster (that one is most relevant for Rest Day Relief staff) and the distance the furthest location is from their home station. It can vary between 4%, 8%, 12%, 18%, 24%, 36% but the calculation is not straightforward.

The minimum level, 4%, is for covering a single location, for example a large signalling centre. The highest rate, 36%, is the rarest. For a typical GPR in a mechanically signalled area who covers 4 or 5 boxes with the furthest box about 15-20 miles from the home station it would usually be 18% or 24%. The flexibility premium for each relief post is agreed between NR and the union at local level and would only go up or down if there’s a change in the locations the job is required to cover. It’s important to bear in mind that it is not calculated on the distance from your house to the furthest away box but rather from your home station to the furthest away box.

Buiadh

Each signaller has a ‘home station’ or base location. Years ago under the old T&Cs relief signallers were paid ‘walking time’ for shifts away from their home station, this was a payment which literally was supposed to cover the time spent walking (not driving or using public transport but *walking*, though in practice after about 1950 no one did) to and from their home station and wherever their shift was. With the general reduction in the number of staff and signalboxes over the years the size of the relief areas grew and many reliefs made more from the walking time than they did out of the shift and should, theoretically at least, have passed themselves ‘walking’ to work while they were ‘walking’ home.

In an effort to sort this obvious nonsense walking time was replaced in the 1990s by the flexibility premium. The idea was that there would be an element of compensation for both the wear and tear/fuel use on your car travelling to different locations and the unpredictable nature of being messed around and working different shifts every week. The rates take into account the number of locations a relief is passed to work, number of unrostered turns on the base roster (that one is most relevant for Rest Day Relief staff) and the distance the furthest location is from their home station. It can vary between 4%, 8%, 12%, 18%, 24%, 36% but the calculation is not straightforward.

The minimum level, 4%, is for covering a single location, for example a large signalling centre. The highest rate, 36%, is the rarest. For a typical GPR in a mechanically signalled area who covers 4 or 5 boxes with the furthest box about 15-20 miles from the home station it would usually be 18% or 24%. The flexibility premium for each relief post is agreed between NR and the union at local level and would only go up or down if there’s a change in the locations the job is required to cover. It’s important to bear in mind that it is not calculated on the distance from your house to the furthest away box but rather from your home station to the furthest away box.
Thank you very much for this, it's very informative! Pretty interesting to see the history behind it.

Last edited:

ROCsteadycrew

This is the best description of how relief rates work that I've read, thanks!

Exscrew

Hello
Im due to start training in August, my LOM said that the centre is in Bristol. Does anybody know where abouts this is within Bristol.
Thanks

EX-Counsel

Hello
Im due to start training in August, my LOM said that the centre is in Bristol. Does anybody know where abouts this is within Bristol.
Thanks
I had my interview for a signalling position here in Gloucester last week. IF I get good news about the position (here's hoping!) it's possible we may be training together. I've got to wait another week at least as one of the internal candidates had to take paternity leave the day he was due to take his interview!
Anyway best of luck for when you start!

Yorks1179

Hello
Thanks
There's two of us from Hereford (Pontrilas & Tram Inn) on the course at Bristol at the moment. The training centre is at Bristol Parkway, but the hotel is in the centre of town (season ticket provided to travel to and from).

Exscrew

There's two of us from Hereford (Pontrilas & Tram Inn) on the course at Bristol at the moment. The training centre is at Bristol Parkway, but the hotel is in the centre of town (season ticket provided to travel to and from).
That will be 3x herefordians then hahah

nom de guerre

Excellent explanation but the rarely-seen upper band is 32% rather than 36%, isn't it?

Highlandspring

Established Member
I think the top rate is 36% (from memory without looking at the SRI) but I did indeed overlook 32% in my list.