• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Munrowalker95

Got my rejection through with feedback that some of my interview responses weren't as good as others and that I hadn't prepared them well. I had prepared a list of around 20 prospective questions that I thought would come up taken from the NTS list but sadly there were a few questions asked that curve-balled me!

Absolutely gutted right now but I want to try again.

Anyone had an interview recently able to drop me a message as I just want to check a couple of things.

Cheers.
How long did you have to wait after your interview for the result and feedback mate?

Got my rejection through with feedback that some of my interview responses weren't as good as others and that I hadn't prepared them well. I had prepared a list of around 20 prospective questions that I thought would come up taken from the NTS list but sadly there were a few questions asked that curve-balled me!

Absolutely gutted right now but I want to try again.

Anyone had an interview recently able to drop me a message as I just want to check a couple of things.

Cheers.
Can you drop me a message mate to discuss interviews? Can't seem to send one myself

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wingnut1982

Hi, can anyone give me information on West Midlands Signalling Center. I’m wanting a job there & want to know what it is like.

What TOCS/FOCS run/frequency?
Which boxes it work to?
How many people work in one shift?
How many running lines/loops/sidings/crossings?

I assume it is 24 hours, grade 6 and westcad.

Would also be very grateful if someone could provide the answers to these questions

Sunset route

This question is far too broad for a signalling control centre that controls a huge sway of the West Midlands and beyond. With fringing to Abby Foregate SB (Shrewsbury), Penkridge (Rugby ROC), Rugeley Town (Stoke on Trent SCC), Aston exclusive Aston SCC, Tamworth HL (EMCC Derby), Arley Tunnel (Rugby ROC), Coventry Arena (Rugby ROC), Stowe Viaduct inclusive (Rugby ROC), Souldern Viaduct exclusive Marylebone IECC, Hayford (Thames Valley SC Didcot), Stratford-Upon-Avon, Redditch, Ashchurch for Tewksbury excusive Glousester SC, Norton Junction SB (Worcester), Droitwich Spa SB from Stoke Works Junction inclusive, Droitwich Spa SB from Hartbury inclusive and I can’t remember with what’s left of Birmingham New Street PSB if it has migrated or is about to migrate to WMSC.

Last edited:

Rubble

This question is far too broad for a signalling control centre that controls a huge sway of the West Midlands and beyond. With fringing to Abby Foregate SB (Shrewsbury), Penkridge (Rugby ROC), Rugeley Town (Stoke on Trent SCC), Aston exclusive Aston SCC, Tamworth HL (EMCC Derby), Arley Tunnel (Rugby ROC), Coventry Arena (Rugby ROC), Stowe Viaduct inclusive (Rugby ROC), Souldern Viaduct exclusive Marylebone IECC, Hayford (Thames Valley SC Didcot), Stratford-Upon-Avon, Redditch, Ashchurch for Tewksbury excusive Glousester SC, Norton Junction SB (Worcester), Droitwich Spa SB from Stoke Works Junction inclusive, Droitwich Spa SB from Hartbury inclusive and I can’t remember with what’s left of Birmingham New Street PSB if it has migrated or is about to migrate to WMSC.
Thanks, i appreciate the insight. I’ve not seen a grade 6 box but this helps give me some context.

Uberbowman

To all of you who are told that a Crossing Keeper has no chance of progressing to Signaller.
Not so.
I was taken on a fixed term contract for 10 months as a grade 1.
When my contract finished my LOM called me and asked if I was interested in going to York.
This was a Monday evening, when I (obviously) said yes. He told me to pack my bags, I was starting Wednesday.
Point is, he knew I would drop everything and go, because that's what I'd done every time during the preceeding 10 months. If he called, if the MOM called, if Rosters called, I said yes. I got on with my colleagues, I stayed on top of my rules, I didn't screw up and was never late.
If management, see potential, they will tap it.
It's easier to demonstrate that potential if you're already in an organisation than from the outside. So if you really want to be a signaller, don't be afraid of starting as a Crossing Keeper.
With that said, this is my experience, yours may vary, but if you have potential and your LOM is any good. I would assess you chances as good.
Good luck.

High Dyke

Established Member
To all of you who are told that a Crossing Keeper has no chance of progressing to Signaller.
Not so.
I was taken on a fixed term contract for 10 months as a grade 1.
When my contract finished my LOM called me and asked if I was interested in going to York.
This was a Monday evening, when I (obviously) said yes. He told me to pack my bags, I was starting Wednesday.
Point is, he knew I would drop everything and go, because that's what I'd done every time during the preceeding 10 months. If he called, if the MOM called, if Rosters called, I said yes. I got on with my colleagues, I stayed on top of my rules, I didn't screw up and was never late.
If management, see potential, they will tap it.
It's easier to demonstrate that potential if you're already in an organisation than from the outside. So if you really want to be a signaller, don't be afraid of starting as a Crossing Keeper.
With that said, this is my experience, yours may vary, but if you have potential and your LOM is any good. I would assess you chances as good.
Good luck.
Indeed. I began as a crossing keeper, but have progressed since. Whilst the amount of crossing boxes has diminished, certainly in my area of work, staff have had the chance to work their way up the grades.

SWTurbo

Wessex and Western both get travel of varying degrees with both South Western and Great Western operating companies yes.
Sorry to bring up an older message, I’m just wondering what the deal is with this. Is there a separate pass or just your NR staff pass? Is this for work travel or does it work for other travel as well?

Toots

Preston CCTV has been a revolving door for new Signallers in the past few years, in fact,in this area at least, up until covid I've never seen so much active recruitment. I noticed one box's entire roster allocation were either trainees or in Signalling school. There are periods when there seems to be little or no recruitment in an area and then several vacancies will appear at once Obviously with the continuing closure programme then opportunities will diminish in time and it should be noted that anyone simply wanting to be a traditional signalman, kettle on ,chasing livestock off the line that type of thing, that those days are numbered and the new Signalling centres are becoming little more than call centres where decisions are being made by Control, shift Managers or even TOC controllers. It is a completely different job to that of those working the small boxes and in many cases Signallers in an IECC or ROC never see a train.
In summary, there will still be vacancies in the future so don't get disheartened and keep applying.

Defenestrate

Sorry to bring up an older message, I’m just wondering what the deal is with this. Is there a separate pass or just your NR staff pass? Is this for work travel or does it work for other travel as well?
Unsure about Western, but Wessex is a local agreement with the TOC (SWR), in which (operational?) staff are able to apply for a free SWR staff travel pass. I *think* that these are valid for both work and leisure travel. You can also get a travel pass for partner/children.
But note, this is not a NR policy, so the local agreement can change or be withdrawn at any time, so whilst it's a nice extra perk, it should be seen as a bonus, rather than something that is expected as a long term benefit.

wingnut1982

Thanks. A complex ROC. Good thing about that is surely the interviewers for the roles at WMSC surely can’t expect newbies off the street to know the answers to those questions either.

Sunset route

Thanks. A complex ROC. Good thing about that is surely the interviewers for the roles at WMSC surely can’t expect newbies off the street to know the answers to those questions either.

I wouldn’t expect any newbie to be ask such questions especially for signalling vacancies in any large control/signalling centres. I was merely trying to demonstrate the futility of asking questions that Rubble originally asked for such a large area is simply not feasible to get a short simple and usable answer that you could take to an interview just in case you might get asked a technical question.

Hi, can anyone give me information on West Midlands Signalling Center. I’m wanting a job there & want to know what it is like.

What TOCS/FOCS run/frequency?
Which boxes it work to?
How many people work in one shift?
How many running lines/loops/sidings/crossings?

I assume it is 24 hours, grade 6 and westcad.

Dandan062

Good morning folks,
I have been fortunate to be invited to interview for upcoming vacancies at Guildford/ Woking. After reading through this thread and researching 10 life saving rules, non technical skills with examples for each and researching Network Rail company info both nationally, regionally and the Wessex route and the role of a signaller is there anything else that people would recommend I look into? I’m a bit worried that I don’t know enough about the Guildford and Woking locations so if anyone is prepared to share some knowledge in this area I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, it is fantastic to be able to access information directly from experienced people already in the industry. Cheers.
Hi new to the forum. I also completed the interview last week for the Wessex signaller have you heard anything yet ?

ArchangelA

Does anybody know how a signallers grade is determined. Common sense would tell me that it's based on the level of responsibility, but would anyone know if there was an official benchmark that a box must pass to determine a specific grade?

Unsure about Western, but Wessex is a local agreement with the TOC (SWR), in which (operational?) staff are able to apply for a free SWR staff travel pass. I *think* that these are valid for both work and leisure travel. You can also get a travel pass for partner/children.
But note, this is not a NR policy, so the local agreement can change or be withdrawn at any time, so whilst it's a nice extra perk, it should be seen as a bonus, rather than something that is expected as a long term benefit.
Western and Wales don't have "free tickets" but you have an allowance (48 tickets per year if I remember) to anywhere within the route for £6 each. They're meant for leisure so they can be purchased for family and friends to travel along.

As noted, it's also an agreement and not a NR policy.

danners430

Does anybody know how a signallers grade is determined. Common sense would tell me that it's based on the level of responsibility, but would anyone know if there was an official benchmark that a box must pass to determine a specific grade?
This was answered just a few weeks ago - it's primarily based on the complexity of the panel/workstation/frame combined with the traffic level of the line(s) in your control.

wingnut1982

Is there anyone on here who works in a ROC (WMSC would be perfect but any others would still be really useful) that would be ok with answering a few questions (either via PM or on the phone) I have about the signaller role within a ROC?

cogload

In regards to SWR the pass covers both staff and leisure travel.

Raikkonen7

For those who are of a higher grade, if you request to be N/A on your rostered Sundays, are they generally covered?
I’m currently a G3 and thinking about looking at a higher grade in the near future. At my box, the relief and residents 9/10 cover Sundays if you request me to be N/A, but I’m guessing people value their RDs more in busier locations.

Booking Boy

For those who are of a higher grade, if you request to be N/A on your rostered Sundays, are they generally covered?
I’m currently a G3 and thinking about looking at a higher grade in the near future. At my box, the relief and residents 9/10 cover Sundays if you request me to be N/A, but I’m guessing people value their RDs more in busier locations.
If you go N/A on your booked Sunday provided it can be covered you will be OK, but if there is no cover you will have to work it. There are
National Agreements for Signallers which cover this.

Raikkonen7

If you go N/A on your booked Sunday provided it can be covered you will be OK, but if there is no cover you will have to work it. There are
National Agreements for Signallers which cover this.
Thank you. Yes, I understand that. I just presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that for instance a G9 Signaller/ on really good money might be less inclined to pick up a RD Sunday and therefore N/A Sundays not included in rostered leave being hard to cover.