• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Scooby123

Hello all,

Could anyone give me a bit of an insight into how a GPR role works within a ROC? I understand you don’t know your shifts til the Thursday before but do you follow a base roster so you know what days your working just not what times?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Could anyone give me a bit of an insight into how a GPR role works within a ROC? I understand you don’t know your shifts til the Thursday before but do you follow a base roster so you know what days your working just not what times?

Yes your base roster will show your booked rest days over the roster cycle. So you’ll know that on, for example, week 3 of the cycle you’re rest day Thursday Friday and on week 11 you’re off Monday Tuesday Wednesday. The only thing that can throw a spanner in the works is if you’re rostered nightshift into a rest day (which is meant to be avoided where possible, but some roster clerks have a decidedly limited idea of what ‘possible’ means).

A GPR working at just one location typtically receives the lowest Flexibility Preumium on the scale, which is 4%. Depending on how well staffed the place is you could expect a decent number of spare turns in the non-holiday season. Anecdotally it can take a very long time to sign for all panels/workstations in your link because once you’ve signed your first couple you may end up being rostered for them all the time, again dependent on staffing.

Scooby123

Yes your base roster will show your booked rest days over the roster cycle. So you’ll know that on, for example, week 3 of the cycle you’re rest day Thursday Friday and on week 11 you’re off Monday Tuesday Wednesday. The only thing that can throw a spanner in the works is if you’re rostered nightshift into a rest day (which is meant to be avoided where possible, but some roster clerks have a decidedly limited idea of what ‘possible’ means).

A GPR working at just one location typtically receives the lowest Flexibility Preumium on the scale, which is 4%. Depending on how well staffed the place is you could expect a decent number of spare turns in the non-holiday season. Anecdotally it can take a very long time to sign for all panels/workstations in your link because once you’ve signed your first couple you may end up being rostered for them all the time, again dependent on staffing.
That’s great, thank you for that. Do you know if you start getting paid the grade and the 4% once you’ve passed one workstation or do you have to have passed all of them? And if you are spare, do you still get paid the same? Is it spent at home or do you still attend the centre? Thank you

Highlandspring

Established Member
There seems to be a bit of regional variation about that depending on the company and the regional RMT Area Council’s interpretation of the relevant agreements. Where I am they pay the full grade only once you’ve signed for the higest graded workstation/panel/box but the full flexibility immediately on passing out. I have heard some areas pay the full grade immediately but only half the flexibility until all workstations/panels/boxes are signed. It’s worth taking advice from your local rep (and joining the union if you haven’t already).

Spare turns are also down to local agreement - with Covid virtually everywhere went over to spare at home but before that some places did expect you to come in. You’re paid for the hours shown on the roster regardless of whether or not you pick up a job or are physically present. All spare turns must have a start time and an end time shown, the naughty practice of putting ‘Spare 8hrs’ or ‘Spare 12hrs’ on the published roster is against the NRP agreement with the union and should be stamped on hard whenever it appears.

Top ‘career as a signaller‘ thread poster Tom Quinne would be your man for any and all ROC related queries but I see he hasn’t posted here since March. Hopefully he’s alright.

Frothy_B

Hello!!

No issue with height limits on an institutional level. although some smaller signal boxes are in the “duck or grouse” category.

Signallers medical is fairly stringent but most people don’t have too many issues, not sure as to how it compares to drivers to be honest

Long hair is no issue whatsoever, plenty of longer haired folk of all genders in the grades (myself included) and it doesn’t present any issues, tied or untied. (We have a policy of diversity and inclusion at NR that is taken seriously, this includes hairstyles amongst other things)

There are few if any strict appearance guidelines (nothing violating the D&I policy and red and green are restricted in a few boxes in case a driver should see it and take it as an instruction) , some of the more, quite frankly, backwards managers insist on uniform but that depends on location and is rapidly disappearing (and the NR uniform is a fairly broad church anyway). Some locations require PPE which is separate from uniform but, naturally, the company will provide that. No issues in sizing with those either (I’m of similar clothing size, though an inch or two shorter)

Hope we get to welcome you to the fold soon!!
Thankyou very much for the reply, that's great to know for the future!

Scooby123

Good evening everyone,

As an internal candidate, if I am successful in a interview and accept a job offer and then a few weeks later interview for a different (preferred) location and I am successful. With me already accepting the first one, can I then instead accept the second? If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great. Thank you

cowboysfan

Good evening everyone,

As an internal candidate, if I am successful in a interview and accept a job offer and then a few weeks later interview for a different (preferred) location and I am successful. With me already accepting the first one, can I then instead accept the second? If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great. Thank you
Yes you can do this. But I would speak to the LOM of the job offer you have recieved and explain the situation most of the time they will be understanding but ofcourse may annoy them a little.

wingnut1982

Yes you can do this. But I would speak to the LOM of the job offer you have recieved and explain the situation most of the time they will be understanding but ofcourse may annoy them a little.
And what about the scenario where you accept a job offer for location A but then during your time at signal school you secure an offer for preferred location B, could you accept B and go there after signal school rather to location A?

cowboysfan

And what about the scenario where you accept a job offer for location A but then during your time at signal school you secure an offer for preferred location B, could you accept B and go there after signal school rather to location A?
Absolutely. The same applies I think it's just about being open with the LOM for location A. Yes it will annoy them since they have to find cover and a new signaller from my experience aslong as your upfront most of the time each LOM will support your decision.

Rockhopper

Your position at school will have be paid for out of LOM A’s budget so consider that as well.

LeGrimpeur

I'd appreciate any info about the Victoria role currently advertised. I know it's moving to three bridges.

Is it 8 or 12hr shifts,
How often do you work nights,
is it a nice place to work etc thanks

Also is there any info on the
1hr scenario assessment
1hr psychometric test
1hr competency interview
That are listed as the next stages?

I applied for the above role but the initial application was different to those I've done previously.

Last edited:

Sheehan97

The application for the grade 9 victoria job didn’t have any questions, was just personal information only? And like a cv? I personally filled in stuff on my profile on the dash board the morning after I put my application in. I’m bit baffled as to how i got rejected instantly the morning after I had just applied.:s It is what it is I suppose

ButtonMoon

I’m bit baffled as to how i got rejected instantly the morning after I had just applied.:s It is what it is I suppose

Were you within the commuting requirement? They may filter applications by that initially.

ArkUTD

Were you within the commuting requirement? They may filter applications by that initially.
There was a question on if you are willing to relocate if outside of the 60 mins commuting distance, I pressed Yes Happy to relocate and I'm still in the running (fingers crossed).

In other news Signaller Grade 2 jobs for round Manchester just gone up, bit strange on the wording, i'll quote it below;

You will join as a permanent employee, as a Grade 2 trainee signaller. You will not be allocated to a specific signal box until you finish signalling school, at which point you will begin to train at locations local to you where we have vacancies. When permanent signaller vacancies arise, you will be invited to apply for these to secure a permanent location.

Grade 2 salary: £29,221
Closing date: 16th September 2021

They don't state a Training wage like others have of around 26k, only this 29k, do you think that is a error or?

Link for anyone intrested

LeGrimpeur

The application for the grade 9 victoria job didn’t have any questions, was just personal information only? And like a cv? I personally filled in stuff on my profile on the dash board the morning after I put my application in. I’m bit baffled as to how i got rejected instantly the morning after I had just applied.:s It is what it is I suppose
It had 4 questions.

Sheehan97

I seriously cannot remember having any questions which is just strange, I know I would’ve put yes to a relocation one that’s for sure. Might just be my brain thinking about other recent applications where they normally ask, how you have dealt with this and that etc.

LeGrimpeur

I seriously cannot remember having any questions which is just strange, I know I would’ve put yes to a relocation one that’s for sure. Might just be my brain thinking about other recent applications where they normally ask, how you have dealt with this and that e
Maybe you answered no to one.of the initial questions?

RailNoob

There was a question on if you are willing to relocate if outside of the 60 mins commuting distance, I pressed Yes Happy to relocate and I'm still in the running (fingers crossed).

In other news Signaller Grade 2 jobs for round Manchester just gone up, bit strange on the wording, i'll quote it below;

They don't state a Training wage like others have of around 26k, only this 29k, do you think that is a error or?

Link for anyone intrested
Hi, I was took on as a training post which is what this is, the union have said that we get grade 2 basic while training I am still yet to find a permanent role but have been passed out on a box to act as cover while there are vacant posts.

SilentGrade

You could, but the normal rules of releasing you would still apply and I can almost guarantee there would be no rush to let you go. Its not looked upon favourably.