• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Kraken

I've had one too many pies personally, do you think this would go against me when I have my signaller medical as my own BMI is fairly high to?.
Nah, as long as you can do the mobility tests adequately (in my case that was kneeling down and standing up again and twisting my body round, really basic) and your blood pressure isn’t too high you’ll be fine. He didn’t even mention my BMI and it’s pretty, cough, *generous*. Blood pressure being neither too high nor low seems to be the major concern even once you are in, for some bizarre reason they don’t seem to want people who might pass out when on their own in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, unless you can barely walk you’re so fat it’s nothing to worry about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
I‘ve come home today to an unwelcome surprise in the form of a citation letter for jury service, which I’ve never done before. Obviously I‘ll need to pass it on to the roster clerk but does anyone here know how it works for payment? Do I have to take my chances claiming it back from the court or will NR pay me as usual? The first two days of it will be my booked rest days to complicate matters.

ArchangelA

I‘ve come home today to an unwelcome surprise in the form of a citation letter for jury service, which I’ve never done before. Obviously I‘ll need to pass it on to the roster clerk but does anyone here know how it works for payment? Do I have to take my chances claiming it back from the court or will NR pay me as usual? The first two days of it will be my booked rest days to complicate matters.
You should be able to claim it back from the court as expenses

Nah, as long as you can do the mobility tests adequately (in my case that was kneeling down and standing up again and twisting my body round, really basic) and your blood pressure isn’t too high you’ll be fine. He didn’t even mention my BMI and it’s pretty, cough, *generous*. Blood pressure being neither too high nor low seems to be the major concern even once you are in, for some bizarre reason they don’t seem to want people who might pass out when on their own in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, unless you can barely walk you’re so fat it’s nothing to worry about.
Noooo I didnt eat THAT many pies but Im carrying a bit of middle aged spread these days. Call it cuddly lol

bouff34

NR should pay you as normal.. comes under Special Leave:

Jury service
  • You can take paid time off work at your basic rate of pay if you're called for jury service.
    You must tell your line manager the dates you’ll be required to attend court as soon as you get the jury summons.
    If your jury service goes on for longer than planned, you must let your line manager know and keep in regular contact while you're away. (Copied from Connect)

You are unlikely to get anything back for the lost rest days and equally if you are rostered to work the weekend will be expected to work (I guess an exception would have to be made if you fall foul of the 13 day rule though?)

Last edited:

Trothy

Network Rail will pay you your basic rate of pay. Not sure what happens with Sundays // RD's though. I'd imagine you could claim payment for Mon-Fri Rest Days from the court as loss of earnings.

I don't think anyone here whose done it worked Saturdays or Sundays, but neither were they able to claim any payment for them. (Either from the court or Network Rail)

Sunset route

I lost a Sunday but they chucked in a buckshee rest day without me asking so I was happy as it was two weeks away from the panels.

For those that can claim court expenses (which I couldn’t as we are still paid by NR), travel or car parking they are not worth much and as an old safe guarded ex BR employee I still had my residential travel which covered my train journey to and from court so I couldn’t even claim travel expenses either.

Six Bells

This year it’s the fourth time I see an ad for this location… don’t know what is happening.

I am lead to believe that the last two signallers recruited for the box have quickly moved on to other boxes (See previous comments about the headaches that this causes for the LOM!)

LeGrimpeur

Apologies as I know the answer is in the thread somewhere, but could someone let me know NR HR email to save me trawling through?
Much obliged.

ArkUTD

So another week and a half for Victoria before interviews are sent out then i'd say.

Hope my assessments still hold up :D

SWTurbo

I am lead to believe that the last two signallers recruited for the box have quickly moved on to other boxes (See previous comments about the headaches that this causes for the LOM!)
I have a feeling this may be the case with Haslemere as well (and loads of others.) Annoyingly, it was the first box i applied to (and got rejected by) but then came up literally weeks after I started my current job on the internal list! Talk about fuming, would have been a very cushy little number for me! I'm keen not to piss the LOM off, (and hopefully at the end of my current course I'll have a higher grade job anyway!)

jubilee_line

I sent my first signaller application off yesterday (for the Manchester Grade 2 roles) and am happy to say that I've passed the initial paper sift and been invited to take the tests! I know that was probably the easiest stage to pass, but given that I haven't worked a safety-critical role before I'm pleased! Thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread - lots of good information :)

Demx93

I’ve heard recently that the structure of grades is changing? Can anyone share any more information on this?

Also Is anybody going through the process to become a apprentice signaller?

Last edited by a moderator:

gareth386

Sat my psychometric tests at the weekend. Just received an email saying that my application has been unsuccessful. Im gutted

Don't be gutted about it, it's the 1st of many steps towards your new career. Keep applying and you'll get through and get your chance at an interview.
Always remember very few people get through with their 1nd or 2nd application, some take 20+ applications before they get a job, so don't be disheartened, it's all part of the process, dust yourself off and go again.

Eddieo

Cheers for the support
I thought I done ok with it.
Is the unsuccessful rate high to see if you persevere with it and try multiple times?.

gareth386

Cheers for the support
I thought I done ok with it.
Is the unsuccessful rate high to see if you persevere with it and try multiple times?.
It's purely down to the amount of people who apply for the jobs.
If you take into account the salary, pension, working conditions etc, it's a highly sort after job. So you get a lot of applications for every vacancy, you could be up against lots of people from different backgrounds and jobs, so NR pretty much get the pick of a lot of good bunch.
Don't be disheartened though, it could be that you have only just missed out on this part, so keep applying, maybe tweak your CV & covering letter, then go again.

Jakirola

Anyone know how long after an interview it generally takes NR to inform you whether you are successful or not? I know it's dependant, but it's been nearly two weeks now and wondering whether it would be worth chasing.