• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeGrimpeur

Anyone know how long after an interview it generally takes NR to inform you whether you are successful or not? I know it's dependant, but it's been nearly two weeks now and wondering whether it would be worth chasing.

Sorry @Jakirola I didn't mean to reply to your post

Just found out I was unsuccessful for the Victoria role. Good luck to everyone still in the mix.

Rockhopper

The reserve list is just in case the winning candidate drops out for any reason. They’ll then go to the next person on the list.

luketp

Anyone know how long after an interview it generally takes NR to inform you whether you are successful or not? I know it's dependant, but it's been nearly two weeks now and wondering whether it would be worth chasing.
Based on your location, I am assuming you applied for the Cambridge roles, apparently they are reviewing the interviews this week.

Yorks1179

Recently there were a couple of internal jobs advertised for Horbury Junction and Batley signal boxes in West Yorkshire. With the constantly progressing resignalling and moves to the York ROC, does anyone know what the remaining lifespan for these two boxes could be?

Major1494

Recently there were a couple of internal jobs advertised for Horbury Junction and Batley signal boxes in West Yorkshire. With the constantly progressing resignalling and moves to the York ROC, does anyone know what the remaining lifespan for these two boxes could be?
I believe Batley is shutting around 2023.

TCX320

Just found out I made it through the NR signaller sift and been invited to do the online interview and Signaller Scenario assessment. I can’t find any info on it, can anyone help with any advice?

ArkUTD

There not overly hard, just follow the links and info in the emails which will send you to the assessment site, then they give instructions and practice tests before the real one.

TCX320

I did the old ones about a year ago but they seem to have changed the assessment process so was wondering if the tests were different now.

ArkUTD

I did the old ones about a year ago but they seem to have changed the assessment process so was wondering if the tests were different now.
Yea with a new supplier, AON i think, personally I find them much more easy to do, almost like mini games.

2zs

Might anybody still be waiting to hear back after interviewing for Cambridge PSB? My interview was a month ago now.

Jakirola

Might anybody still be waiting to hear back after interviewing for Cambridge PSB? My interview was a month ago now.
Yep. Was told they would be intouch within the week. Spoke to NR last week and they said they would be in contact with candidates this week. Though I am a tad doubtful that it's going to happen this week.

2zs

Yep. Was told they would be intouch within the week. Spoke to NR last week and they said they would be in contact with candidates this week. Though I am a tad doubtful that it's going to happen this week.
Well as frustrating as the wait is, I am glad that they haven't forgotten me! Let's hope that we hear something soon.

Buiadh

Anyone heard back regarding the Scottish signal roles? The one with Insch, Inverkeilor, Stonehaven etc.

I had an assessment on the 10th but no word since. My online application still says 'Status: Assessment'.

Last edited:

ArkUTD

Anyone been sent out interviews for Grade 3 (flexi) Willesden? Just seen mine in my inbox, 4th times the charm right? :lol:

If anyone has additional info on Acton Canal Wharf, Dudding Hill, Neasden Junction and Upper Holloway boxes please PM me, Cheers!

Csb362

Anyone heard back regarding the Scottish signal roles? The one with Insch, Inverkeilor, Stonehaven etc.

I had an assessment on the 10th but no word since. My online application still says 'Status: Assessment'.
No I’m in the same boat my previous assessment scores were used so I’ve been sat at assessment pretty much from day one, surely will hear before too long

To all of you who are told that a Crossing Keeper has no chance of progressing to Signaller.
Not so.
I was taken on a fixed term contract for 10 months as a grade 1.
When my contract finished my LOM called me and asked if I was interested in going to York.
This was a Monday evening, when I (obviously) said yes. He told me to pack my bags, I was starting Wednesday.
Point is, he knew I would drop everything and go, because that's what I'd done every time during the preceeding 10 months. If he called, if the MOM called, if Rosters called, I said yes. I got on with my colleagues, I stayed on top of my rules, I didn't screw up and was never late.
If management, see potential, they will tap it.
It's easier to demonstrate that potential if you're already in an organisation than from the outside. So if you really want to be a signaller, don't be afraid of starting as a Crossing Keeper.
With that said, this is my experience, yours may vary, but if you have potential and your LOM is any good. I would assess you chances as good.
Good luck.
I know this is a bit late but congratulations!

I too am starting as a Crossing Keeper starting in November. Do you have any advice to help me hit the ground running or is it best to go in blind and start learning?

My goal also is to become a Signaller and work my way through the grades.

Looking forward to it!

HamSandwich

I know this is a bit late but congratulations!

I too am starting as a Crossing Keeper starting in November. Do you have any advice to help me hit the ground running or is it best to go in blind and start learning?

My goal also is to become a Signaller and work my way through the grades.

Looking forward to it!

Turn up on time, listen, respect the box and your colleagues. Sounds easy enough but there's a few passing through I've seen that haven't done all of those and a reputation can quickly form. Don't forget to show enthusiasm :) Best of luck!