• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Can someone answer my buddies question please ?
‘If you have a hearing aid, can you be a signaller or Network Rail MOM?’

I certainly had one when I was a signaller at a single manned box, but it was NR that discovered I had a hearing loss at one of my medicals.

I know I was unable to persue a career change to Level Crossing Manager as the hearing aid precluded me getting a PTS Cert, I presume MOM rules would be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

It is possible for a Signaller in a multi manned location to wear a hearing aid but I don't know about MOMs or single manned locations

One of my colleagues at my first (single-manned) box had a hearing aid and was allowed to work unrestricted, providing he wore it. (He didn't always wear it, but that's another story... o_O.)

This is going back a few years, mind.

SignalShez

I’m in the same boat, had my medical 3 weeks tomorrow! Cutting it close if I am to start in Jan now.
New to this thread but been following a while! Just for info I had my medical on the 22nd Nov and just got confirmation & employee number yesterday (14th Dec) so all together 3 weeks, 1 day
Starting signalling school 31st Jan and going to York as far as I know

ArchangelA

New to this thread but been following a while! Just for info I had my medical on the 22nd Nov and just got confirmation & employee number yesterday (14th Dec) so all together 3 weeks, 1 day
Which box you going?

Sy_!

Perfectly timed response, just got confirmation this afternoon!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
It says Marshbrook

Nice little Box with an interesting frame to work, and the level crossing right outside.
Works UP to Dorrington, which sometimes is switched out so you work to Sutton Bridge Junct, and DOWN to Craven Arms.
Parking can be a bit tight.

SignalShez

Nice little Box with an interesting frame to work, and the level crossing right outside.
Works UP to Dorrington, which sometimes is switched out so you work to Sutton Bridge Junct, and DOWN to Craven Arms.
Parking can be a bit tight.
Thank you! Is it still in action that you know? I’ve read a few threads on here and tried to Google map and it says it closed so was a bit apprehensive

John Webb

Established Member
Thank you! Is it still in action that you know? I’ve read a few threads on here and tried to Google map and it says it closed so was a bit apprehensive
Can't imagine they'd recruit you for a closed box! Was still in action at the end of 2019, which is the latest I have info for. Sometimes it is spelt as a single word and sometimes as "Marsh Brook". It is at postcode SY6 6QE on the B4370.

SignalShez

Can't imagine they'd recruit you for a closed box! Was still in action at the end of 2019, which is the latest I have info for. Sometimes it is spelt as a single word and sometimes as "Marsh Brook". It is at postcode SY6 6QE on the B4370.
Yes did think that but there’s a thread for all the closed boxes and this one came up a lot thanks for the info will take a look now

Scooby123

Hey, I don’t know if your the same as me but when I was recruited on future oppurtunities my contract said Knottingley SB which doesn’t exist anymore. When I asked my LOM it was just down as a base for the purpose of hiring and creating a contract of employment with no intention of ever working there but another box in the area. So that may be what’s happened with you too. Hope that helps.

SignalShez

Hey, I don’t know if your the same as me but when I was recruited on future oppurtunities my contract said Knottingley SB which doesn’t exist anymore. When I asked my LOM it was just down as a base for the purpose of hiring and creating a contract of employment with no intention of ever working there but another box in the area. So that may be what’s happened with you too. Hope that helps.
Interesting! Ok thank you for the help. Will speak to mine when they contact me hopefully soon

Tyke41

Interesting! Ok thank you for the help. Will speak to mine when they contact me hopefully soon
Hi,
You tend to be given a generic area and assigned a LOM then once you start signalling school you can apply for jobs as an internal applicant. I think out of 10 on my course only 3 had actually been assigned boxes then we all went through the process of applying for specific boxes. Be prepared for knock backs which can be disheartening but essentially you are then a NR employee and will get assigned a box/area to train in. It did me good having the opportunity to go and visit a lot of boxes and spend time in them to give you a different perspective as to where you want to work. You will find each box is very different some AB boxes, some TCB boxes and some "fringe" boxes. You will soon see what suits you better. You will love the IST AB course, it's hard work but keep at it and ask plenty of stupid questions if you don't understand stuff. You can guarantee when you ask it that someone else is thinking the same.

SignalShez

Hi,
You tend to be given a generic area and assigned a LOM then once you start signalling school you can apply for jobs as an internal applicant. I think out of 10 on my course only 3 had actually been assigned boxes then we all went through the process of applying for specific boxes. Be prepared for knock backs which can be disheartening but essentially you are then a NR employee and will get assigned a box/area to train in. It did me good having the opportunity to go and visit a lot of boxes and spend time in them to give you a different perspective as to where you want to work. You will find each box is very different some AB boxes, some TCB boxes and some "fringe" boxes. You will soon see what suits you better. You will love the IST AB course, it's hard work but keep at it and ask plenty of stupid questions if you don't understand stuff. You can guarantee when you ask it that someone else is thinking the same.
Thank you for this! Such good info
Can I ask did you get to come home @ weekends on the course or did you have to stay at the hotel?

HamSandwich

Can I ask did you get to come home @ weekends on the course or did you have to stay at the hotel?
You'll go home Fridays and back either Sunday evening or Monday morning, depending on how far away you are. Originally in my group we were all supposed to be coming back Monday mornings but it was a long journey which means you're even more tired all week, so coming up on Sunday and getting more sim practice in suited us much better, in agreement with our LOM who was able to change the arrangements.

Tyke41

No problem at all, anything else you want to ask then feel free to do so.. And your weekend question has been answered!!

Last edited:

SignalShez

You'll go home Fridays and back either Sunday evening or Monday morning, depending on how far away you are. Originally in my group we were all supposed to be coming back Monday mornings but it was a long journey which means you're even more tired all week, so coming up on Sunday and getting more sim practice in suited us much better, in agreement with our LOM who was able to change the arrangements.
Great! Currently live 2 hours 30 from York or Basingstoke without traffic so wasn’t looking forward to the Monday morning rush aswell lol.
No problem at all, anything else you want to ask then feel free to do so.. And your weekend question has been answered!!
Thank you! All seems so real now
Yes, it's still in operation, and unlikely to close for a while.
Plenty on Google:
Brilliant will take a look now while I can’t sleep lol

headshot119

Established Member
Great! Currently live 2 hours 30 from York or Basingstoke without traffic so wasn’t looking forward to the Monday morning rush aswell lol.

Thank you! All seems so real now

Brilliant will take a look now while I can’t sleep lol

You'll be provided with train tickets to travel to and from the IST course, no driving involved.

Anneruon

D&A all came back successfully a couple of days ago! Judging from what other people are saying it about a 3-4 week wait atm.
Anyone else starting their course on 10th Jan in Milton Keynes?
So excited to finally start!

Anyone know about the future/present of the Marston Vale box? Found a website online that said it is closing next year, coupled with my employee start date and number email missing a location... (just has xxxxx which I assumed someone had simply forgotten to change)

headshot119

Established Member
D&A all came back successfully a couple of days ago! Judging from what other people are saying it about a 3-4 week wait atm.
Anyone else starting their course on 10th Jan in Milton Keynes?
So excited to finally start!

Anyone know about the future/present of the Marston Vale box? Found a website online that said it is closing next year, coupled with my employee start date and number email missing a location... (just has xxxxx which I assumed someone had simply forgotten to change)

I can't comment specifically on Marston Vale, however a lot of the closure lists you'll find online are massively out of date, and don't factor in the general change to the ROC plan, or things having been put back due to Covid etc.

Anneruon

I can't comment specifically on Marston Vale, however a lot of the closure lists you'll find online are massively out of date, and don't factor in the general change to the ROC plan, or things having been put back due to Covid etc.
Oooo, thank you for your reply! That's fair, I'll just have to find out when I find out.

High Dyke

Established Member
Can someone answer my buddies question please ?

‘If you have a hearing aid, can you be a signaller or Network Rail MOM?’
Unless the criteria has changed again, then yes you can. I'm aware of a relief signaller working single-manned locations. As a MOM they may be a bit more concerned or place restrictions on your competencies.

Kraken

You'll be provided with train tickets to travel to and from the IST course, no driving involved.

Although the petrol rate for Network Rail is comparatively generous so you could drive up Sunday and back Friday and still end up making money. Every little helps!

Frothy_B

Hello all. This is definitely a counting chickens before they hatch type question but I feel it's better to ask now rather than run into issues further down the road.

Am I correct in thinking whilst at Signalling School you have to attend every day and can't take any holiday during that time. What is the situation if you already have a holiday booked and paid for before applying, you get the job and the school dates will overlap? Would you be held back to a later course, or is it a case of "tough"?

Along the same lines, what happens with illness or family emergencies? If a person were to test positive for Covid on week 5, they would loose both week 5 and 6 isolating. Would they be able to make that time back up, or would they have to start the course again when the next one begins?

bouff34

Hello all. This is definitely a counting chickens before they hatch type question but I feel it's better to ask now rather than run into issues further down the road.

Am I correct in thinking whilst at Signalling School you have to attend every day and can't take any holiday during that time. What is the situation if you already have a holiday booked and paid for before applying, you get the job and the school dates will overlap? Would you be held back to a later course, or is it a case of "tough"?

Along the same lines, what happens with illness or family emergencies? If a person were to test positive for Covid on week 5, they would loose both week 5 and 6 isolating. Would they be able to make that time back up, or would they have to start the course again when the next one begins?
They won't book you on signal school if you can't attend all the weeks - the course isn't doable by dipping in and out. You should declare the pre-booked holiday at the interview stage. Down to the LOM then whether they can work round things with either a delayed school start date and they find you something to do in the interim or a delayed employment start date. It might make the difference between you getting the job and someone else getting it...

Family emergencies and other what if scenarios would be dealt with at the time but if you missed two weeks you might have to be back coursed...