• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Hi everyone,
I’ve noticed there are adverts on the NR website for Grade 7 positions in Feltham and Guildford.
There’s no mention of moving to Basingstoke ROC.
Does anyone know if these locations are planned to move to Basingstoke still, and if so what the timings are of this move?
Many thanks in advance

I don't know about Guildford moving to Basingstoke any time soon, but the final 2 panels at Feltham are due to move there in the middle of next year

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IST - Initial Signaller Training - is a 10 week course, followed by a final exam (one at a time, and takes half a day each plus practise the night before) the following week, so effectively it’s an 11 week period - though the final week isn’t a proper week.

There’s then, if you’ve done an AB course and need TCB, a TCB conversion course which may or may not be the following week (I.e week 12) depending purely on the course dates available.

Railwayer

IST - Initial Signaller Training - is a 10 week course, followed by a final exam (one at a time, and takes half a day each plus practise the night before) the following week, so effectively it’s an 11 week period - though the final week isn’t a proper week.

There’s then, if you’ve done an AB course and need TCB, a TCB conversion course which may or may not be the following week (I.e week 12) depending purely on the course dates available.
Thank you that’s so helpful :)

Open_G

I’m waiting for a date for my medical. I was told that it was likely to be winter time ready for a Jan 23 start.

How flexible are NR known to be regarding medical dates? There’s a chance I will be out of the country for 3 weeks in December.

They are flexible, they have to be - try fitting a medical around a shift pattern but within the rostering principles!

The medical provider (Optima health) normally call directly to arrange a date and pick the best location. If you just get an appointment out of the blue, NR don’t especially care or even find out if you change the location or date to better suit you, your LOM just gets the results when they’re back.

Take this with a pinch of salt of course - don’t just keep amending dates or being difficult because obviously it can filter back to NR, and they are lagging behind with available dates I think at the moment too. Plus until you’re through the medical there’s still no contract to guarantee they’ll employ you so it’s in your interest to get it done!

Devonish

Couple of questions for some external jobs out there at the moment :

1.) Anyone know what shifts the grade 4 desks at Derby ROC (EMCC) work? I know EMCC used to be a mix of 12s or 8s depending on desk.

2.) There is a job out for South Wales signallers (https://careers.networkrail.co.uk/j...-Park-Junction-Pembrey-Ferryside-Kidwelly/630) oddly the jobs at places like ferryside are permanent (hence I presume the re-signalling of west wales has been postponed?) but the jobs in "Cardiff" with the post code given as the WROC are only 12 month FTCs - I presume these would be used to fill roles at the WROC as they come up over the year post sig school?

Thanks for any info!

Open_G

They are flexible, they have to be - try fitting a medical around a shift pattern but within the rostering principles!

The medical provider (Optima health) normally call directly to arrange a date and pick the best location. If you just get an appointment out of the blue, NR don’t especially care or even find out if you change the location or date to better suit you, your LOM just gets the results when they’re back.

Take this with a pinch of salt of course - don’t just keep amending dates or being difficult because obviously it can filter back to NR, and they are lagging behind with available dates I think at the moment too. Plus until you’re through the medical there’s still no contract to guarantee they’ll employ you so it’s in your interest to get it done!
Thanks

PTGRail

Hey ,

I also did the interview yesterday for Willesden, Neasden, Dudding Hill, Acton Canal Wharf, or Upper Holloway boxes and now the wait begins *sigh*

I don’t know how to dm you but would love to stay in contact , so we can let eachother know when we get an update.
I’m not sure how to DM you either, but just wanted to say good luck with your application!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hey ,

I also did the interview yesterday for Willesden, Neasden, Dudding Hill, Acton Canal Wharf, or Upper Holloway boxes and now the wait begins *sigh*

I don’t know how to dm you but would love to stay in contact , so we can let eachother know when we get an update.

I’m not sure how to DM you either, but just wanted to say good luck with your application!

You need 5+ posts on the forum before PM function is available.

This is often over complicated because of acronyms and confusion. Some of this you’ll know but to just explain it all for completeness…

Logically it is simpler -
Bank holidays should be an extra day off.

1) if you can just be booked off for the day rather than working (e.g. you are on training duties), you have had this extra day off, nothing is due.
2) If you are rostered Rest Day - you do not get the extra day off (as you are already off work). Therefore ou can choose either LROP = the extra day off to make up for it, or HROP = an extra day basic pay to make up for it
3) if you are rostered to work - you are owed time and a half for working a day the rest of the country is at home, plus either the extra day off (LROP) or an extra basic days pay (HROP)
4) if you are rest day working, you get the same as 3) above, plus the usual 25% uplift for RDW on top of either LROP or HROP.

Hope that helps someone!

Kinny999

Long time lurker, soon to be in IST; posting again with a couple of questions that I'd be super appreciative of any info/advice regarding.

Optimahealth ; Has their website been a bit temperamental for anybody else over the last few weeks? I've got my in-person medical a week today on the 8th in Manchester and I've still been unable to complete the pre-medical questionnaire - to begin with, I could get right to the finish/save button where it would time out; but this last week the links I've been emailed immediately error out and suggest an IT issue at their end - I've spoken to their support and they've essentially said, don't worry, just keep trying and if it doesn't work you can fill it out on the day when you get there. I've asked them to respond to me by email just confirming this advice just to be on the safe side but ideally, I'd like to get it done ASAP even if NR is only bothered about the outcome.

On a bit of a side note is there anything likely to occur at the medical that's specific to NR - I've had regular stringent medical/ vetting checks over the last 5 years in my current role so I've no specific concerns regarding the medical but just a little twitchy as its ultimately the deciding factor and final hurdle as far as NR is concerned.

Many thanks for any advice/info anybody can provide.

KlichBate

Long time lurker, soon to be in IST; posting again with a couple of questions that I'd be super appreciative of any info/advice regarding.

Optimahealth ; Has their website been a bit temperamental for anybody else over the last few weeks? I've got my in-person medical a week today on the 8th in Manchester and I've still been unable to complete the pre-medical questionnaire - to begin with, I could get right to the finish/save button where it would time out; but this last week the links I've been emailed immediately error out and suggest an IT issue at their end - I've spoken to their support and they've essentially said, don't worry, just keep trying and if it doesn't work you can fill it out on the day when you get there. I've asked them to respond to me by email just confirming this advice just to be on the safe side but ideally, I'd like to get it done ASAP even if NR is only bothered about the outcome.

On a bit of a side note is there anything likely to occur at the medical that's specific to NR - I've had regular stringent medical/ vetting checks over the last 5 years in my current role so I've no specific concerns regarding the medical but just a little twitchy as its ultimately the deciding factor and final hurdle as far as NR is concerned.

Many thanks for any advice/info anybody can provide.
I had my medical a few months ago and it was a vision test, colour blindness test, hearing test, height and weight, drug and alcohol test. Was told there was little to worry about other than failing the drug and alcohol test. Can't help with the website I'm afraid. If you are having regular stringent medicals this will be nothing out of the ordinary for you.

Don’t let the website problems crank up your blood pressure! Normally the questions are looked over together (to see what you’ve said) at the start of the medical anyway, so having to answer them at the same time is no issue really, it might just take a little longer but certainly nothing to lose any sleep over.

High Dyke

Established Member
I had my medical a few months ago and it was a vision test, colour blindness test, hearing test, height and weight, drug and alcohol test. Was told there was little to worry about other than failing the drug and alcohol test. Can't help with the website I'm afraid. If you are having regular stringent medicals this will be nothing out of the ordinary for you.
At my last medical I also had to kneel down on the floor and then stand up without using my hands/arms. Not sure if that is a standard test though. I guess it's to assess a person's mobility.

ShebQ

At my last medical I also had to kneel down on the floor and then stand up without using my hands/arms. Not sure if that is a standard test though. I guess it's to assess a person's mobility.
Had my medical in Birmingham today
Didn’t have to do any physical test - just standard

Sight , hearing, weight , height , medical history and drug alcohol test

Kinny999

Had my medical in Birmingham today
Didn’t have to do any physical test - just standard

Sight , hearing, weight , height , medical history and drug alcohol test
@High Dyke @ShebQ , many thanks folks :) , think I perhaps panicked at it being 2 hours but I suppose that's time to go through everything at a less than break neck speed.

KieranG110

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know if you skip any of the application process if you've previously applied and made it through the application process but were unsuccessful?
I was put on a shortlist for my last application but another position has been advertised and I've applied. Will they later down the process notice that I have completed tests and interviews previously?

thanks in advance.

The Don

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know if you skip any of the application process if you've previously applied and made it through the application process but were unsuccessful?
I was put on a shortlist for my last application but another position has been advertised and I've applied. Will they later down the process notice that I have completed tests and interviews previously?

thanks in advance.
I know that others have been contacted by NR asking is they are happy with the other location and will do a motivational interview view only.

MaisDxx

@High Dyke @ShebQ , many thanks folks :) , think I perhaps panicked at it being 2 hours but I suppose that's time to go through everything at a less than break neck speed.
hi! had my medical yesterday in liverpool, only took just under an hour, I think they say 2 hours because they offer optional questionnaires/help which would go within the 2 hours. It's completely fine and my clinician was fab with me and spoke positively of NR. now I just can't wait for August to start signalling school

High Dyke

Established Member
hi! had my medical yesterday in liverpool, only took just under an hour, I think they say 2 hours because they offer optional questionnaires/help which would go within the 2 hours. It's completely fine and my clinician was fab with me and spoke positively of NR. now I just can't wait for August to start signalling school
:D Jolly good.

Lock31243

Hi all!

Been offered the G6 role in WM yesterday! Anyone else had any updates from their applications??
Hello all

New to this forum but found it really useful whilst going through the recruitment process.

ShebQ , I start in the G6 position at West Mids on July 4th , just wandered if you start on the same day ?

Signaller2be

Hello all

New to this forum but found it really useful whilst going through the recruitment process.

ShebQ , I start in the G6 position at West Mids on July 4th , just wandered if you start on the same day ?
Congrats on your job offer !

Out of curiosity, do they email you or call you to let you know you’ve got the job ?

Lock31243

Congrats on your job offer !

Out of curiosity, do they email you or call you to let you know you’ve got the job ?
They initially called me to verbally offer me the job pending medical , security checks etc etc.

Once all the checks were done I got an email saying congratulations , confirming start date and saying my line manager will call me before my first day and giving me my employee number.

I hope this helps :)

blake123

As everyone is aware of the upcoming strike action for signallers. What payrise % do you think would be accepted i’m hearing people say nothing below 7%?