• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

Hi all,

I've recently applied for the signalling job at Derby and Birmingham. The Birmingham advert only closed recently so not expecting to hear back from that yet. The derby one closed mid last month and I've heard nothing back as of yet. I emailed a day after it closing to say how interested I was and when I could expect to hear back, they said in a few weeks but if unsuccessful it'll be sooner rather than later. I emailed again last week and they've said the team are currently going through all applications and shortlisting. I was just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back in people's recent experience?

Many thanks
Nothing moves quickly on the railways (apart from some of the trains...)

You could hear from them tomorrow, it could be months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

illberries

I had a virtual interview for the grade 7,8 & 9 positions at TVSC a couple of months ago and was unsuccessful, but got some really positive feedback. I got an email a few weeks ago direct from Network Rail recruitment offering me an interview for a grade 6 position at Westbury. It was completely out of the blue, because I hadn't applied for any other positions and havent seen it advertised?! So fingers crossed I can take some of what I've learned in to this next interview coming up next week!

Good luck to anyone else interviewing for their positions.

CoachB

Had my interview for Dumfries yesterday and have just had an email saying my interview and my overall application has been great. I thought I might of messed it up a bit so it's nice to know.

I would really like the job but I'm keeping myself realistic for my first attempt.

Supercoss

Current vacancy for signaller at Cricklewood Depot Box in North London, 12 hour shifts predominantley dealing with empty units coming off mainline for washing, cleaning and fuelling then morning run out of empty trains into passenger use , good starting locations as 'feeds' the neignbouring West Hampstead Power Signal Box progression wise.(WH psb converts to Signalling Control Centre SCC in 2024)
A good location to understand the basics of signalling and application or rules
Located just off bottom of M1 Motorway within ULEZ , Cricklewood station on Thameslink route and opposite new 'Brent Cross West' station that opens in March next year
Interested ??
details - https://iebsprodnwrl.opc.oracleouts...DISPLAY&p_svid=2236412&p_spid=7266229&refsh=0South Screen.jpgNorth Screen.jpg

Last edited:

illberries

Does anybody know what shifts/ rota is worked at Westbury PSB? Had a search through the forum, but can't find anything. Thank you all!

Evening,

Hoping someone may have some info! Starting with NR as a MOM. I've just got my terms of employment through and it mentions about Flexibility Premiums.

Do MOMs received Flexibility Premiums? I was under the impression this was just for signalling positions?

Cheers in advance

High Dyke

Established Member
Evening,

Hoping someone may have some info! Starting with NR as a MOM. I've just got my terms of employment through and it mentions about Flexibility Premiums.

Do MOMs received Flexibility Premiums? I was under the impression this was just for signalling positions?

Cheers in advance
If you are taking a relief MOM role then you will be paid Flexi Premium (FP), as part of that role. If, however, the role is a 'resident' MOM role, then no FP is payable. This still works in the same way as signallers.

Norfolklad

Hi all, just been asked to attend IST at York on the 8th August instead of the 19th September at Ipswich, anyone on here attending then?

Has anyone been at sig school on a strike day, and what happened on the day? Cheers

Last edited:

y0rkie287

I didn't find the scenario based assessment natural at all and took me until the 2/3rd question to start to get use to the formality. I have my interview Wednesday, my second one so I'm even more nervous this time round. Best of luck to your interview.
That's exactly how I found it, did ok though as only 2 days after the online interview I got the call offering me a position, just waiting on the medical and DBS checks then I'm in, start date 19th December with York training at the start of the new year, buzzing doesn't come close to the euphoria, really hope medical goes well

How did your interview go Kieran?

Mirri

Does anyone know if you can still train to be a signaller if you're diagnosed with autism and/or ADHD? Would ADHD meds be a problem due to them being stimulants and the strict drug policy?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Does anyone know if you can still train to be a signaller if you're diagnosed with autism and/or ADHD? Would ADHD meds be a problem due to them being stimulants and the strict drug policy?
You can certainly train and work with a diagnosis, no restrictions on that

As for ADHD meds it would depend on which ones they are. As they are prescribed medication so long as they’re declared in the proper manner they wouldn’t come under D&A

Rockhopper

The biggest problem is that the medical comes right at the end of the recruitment process - so you could potentially fail at the last hurdle. I'm not sure if there is any way around this.

B_Stoneman97

Hi everyone - I have recently secured a job as a grade 2 signaller for Wateringbury. I have done all my checks and passed medical, just sent the urine off to to lab which doc said most likely will be fine ( never done drugs etc ).

Start date is supposed to be 23rd August and i shall be starting signalling school on the 30th August. My Hiring manager has said the school is in London instead of york/coventry.

I am completely new to the railway so this is a big challenge and i am looking forward to a fresh start and a rewarding career.

Does anyone have any advice, tips or guidance about the role, signalling school or anything else that could help me in my journey.

Many thanks

Leeward

Well I just completed the Signaller Scenario Test... which was not fun at all. I can see what they are after... they just want you to relay the given information back to them in a concise manner and emphasise the safety aspect of everything (which I think I achieved, despite being somewhat stilted in my delivery).

Emz86

Well I just completed the Signaller Scenario Test... which was not fun at all. I can see what they are after... they just want you to relay the given information back to them in a concise manner and emphasise the safety aspect of everything (which I think I achieved, despite being somewhat stilted in my delivery).
Im sure you did well. Its a strange way of doing it. I thought id messed it right up but passed.
Good luck x

y0rkie287

by the sounds of it we were all terrified of this particular part, they must expect that though as so many of us that think it was bad actually passed it

otter11

I’ve got a slightly random question for current signallers, but was curious and thought it could get some interesting answers! :lol:

What do you keep in your box/bring with you to work each day? Obviously things like lunch/drinks, but are there other things which it’s useful to have with you at work? Essential box items/things to make the job more enjoyable?

emtm21

I’ve got a slightly random question for current signallers, but was curious and thought it could get some interesting answers! :lol:

What do you keep in your box/bring with you to work each day? Obviously things like lunch/drinks, but are there other things which it’s useful to have with you at work? Essential box items/things to make the job more enjoyable?
Fluffy knee blanket for night shifts :D And a stash of emergency food in case I forget to bring my lunch lol

High Dyke

Established Member

The joys of being a relief. Rule books, Orange PPE, safety footwear, food for the day. Tea/coffee supplies in my bag. Cutlery, and a plate, spare pen, scissors, tape/bluetack. A spare loo roll, in case the box has run out and nobody has done a stores order. Some items are permanently stored in the car, but need to be accessible when on duty.

ChrisRS

USB phone charger is always kept in my locker now. Have forgotten a few times on a nightshift.

Nothing worse than your phone dying (when reading the rule books in PDF format on the RSSB website of course)

Exscrew

USB phone charger is always kept in my locker now. Have forgotten a few times on a nightshift.

Nothing worse than your phone dying (when reading the rule books in PDF format on the RSSB website of course)
Also never leave to drive home with no battery, did that once ... broke down at 6am in middle of nowhere... had to flag down another motorist

Dunnideer

Not a current signaller but back in my days in the grade I always had Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and a couple of plasters (there will be some in the first aid box but it’s not worth the hassle cracking it open for a little cut on your finger, trust me) in my locker. There’s nothing worse than working a signalbox with a headache.

Exscrew

Not a current signaller but back in my days in the grade I always had Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and a couple of plasters (there will be some in the first aid box but it’s not worth the hassle cracking it open for a little cut on your finger, trust me) in my locker. There’s nothing worse than working a signalbox with a headache.
And rennies if you're like me with the old heartburn