• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Lee70

Pleased to say that I passed the paper and the computer tests! Thanks to those who made the tool and forum members for their help!

Unfortunately at this TOC they do DMI first then the MMI. DMI is said to be harder to pass and will be a structured interview.
I genuinely found the MMI harder than the DMI

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan2610

I found the MMI harder too. There's a lot of "how did that make you feel?" And it felt more interrogating as they would go back to points of your answer and delve deeper.

For example in one of the answers I used an example when I had to drive a long distance (in a car). The interviewer let me answer then asked about where I stopped, then moved on a bit then asked me where I stopped again and how long for. It feels like they're trying to catch you out more to see if you are being truthful with your answers.

MatthewLdn

Happy to say that I passed the computer tests today. Potentially being invited to a dmi next Wednesday, so will have a look on the forum for any tips or advice. Fingers crossed I can get to the next stage!

Kae

Hi everyone. Can someone give me a couple of examples of what sort of questions they will ask at a DMI please? Much appreciated

Gemski

I have my 2nd assessment centre next week and was wondering if the MMI will just be the 6 questions below/variation of.....

Describe a time when you followed rules and procedures:

Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem

Describe a time when you have been on a training course over 2weeks or greatest achievement:

Describe a time when you have handled an emergency situation:

Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone:

Describe a role you do similar to a train drive

Will I be asked questions like why do you want to be a train driver?, what skills do you think you would bring to the role?, what do you know about the TOC and why do you want to work for them? or are these questions from the DMI. I'm worried I'm over thinking the whole process.

paully617

I have my 2nd assessment centre next week and was wondering if the MMI will just be the 6 questions below/variation of.....

Describe a time when you have been on a training course over 2weeks or greatest achievement:

Will I be asked questions like why do you want to be a train driver?, what skills do you think you would bring to the role?, what do you know about the TOC and why do you want to work for them? or are these questions from the DMI. I'm worried I'm over thinking the whole process.
when did you sit your stage 1?

stevem39

can anyone give me advice, I'm having my interview next week and have been researching like mad for the last couple of months regards to all I may possibly be asked, I've applied to GTR and am unsure weather I'm having the MMI or the DMI, has any body on here recently passed the assessment then moved onto the next stage the same as me?

Gemski

how was it?
im struggling with getting more than 8 lines per page of the GBT but with poss 3 or 4 errors over the whole test.

I found it ok. I'm not sure how many lines I got it's a bit of blare. I felt the first page was really clear but the dots got smaller/more blared the further you went.

Applepie356

Anyone had a DMI with Southeastern recently? I just want to know what to expect.

I applied for a Shunter role (safety critical) so will they use the same questions as they do for a trainee train driver or will it be different?

All I got told is that it’s a structured interview and I will have to do research about the company.

chrisharman1

This how2become 1 day course on what to expect at an interview for trainee train driver is it worth doing?? Has anyone done this 1 day course? Or is it complete waste of time and money?
Sorry if this is slightly off subject first time I'm using this website

Stigy

Established Member
This how2become 1 day course on what to expect at an interview for trainee train driver is it worth doing?? Has anyone done this 1 day course? Or is it complete waste of time and money?
Sorry if this is slightly off subject first time I'm using this website
More than likely a complete waste of time and money. If you must, get the book, as it has some valid parts to it (at a push). My advice would be to utilise this forum for all the sound info you need, and any practice material for the assessments as and when the need arises. Psychometric assessments don’t require practice largely, just an awareness.

S-Car-Go

The book & dvd provided general help on tests and interview techniques. How2become also posted some videos on youtube which mirrored what's in the book.
When I was prepping for interview, I had a look for rail safety videos on youtube. Some of them have been played to us in driver training. It's all about safety, communication, knowing your rules & carrying out procedures correctly. Here's a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCK407AlvXH2WZsfDdBN2IvWsTrVwFw7k

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKOLwF_i197fwdBRzuUb_EjBiDpXPzBSU

Coolseed

Hi Gemski
Am hoping your MMI went very well. Kindly share your experience/advice as I have one coming up shortly.

Many thanks

Applepie356

MMI: Role you have done similar to train driver.

How would I structure this in STAR format. I can think of lots of examples but I’m struggling to put it into a STAR format.

As a bus driver I perform safety checks on my bus before using it in service. Work alone for long periods of time, have to concentrate when driving to watch out for potential hazards, I have to follow driver domestic hours to ensure I don’t exceed them, follow H&S rules when driving and walking in the bus garage (hi vis, speed limit etc)

keep customers informed of delays and diversions via PA. working as a team with my controller to ensure I provide a service to passengers and the list goes on.

I can structure these into a paragraph but I’m struggling as to how I can use the STAR format to answer this question.

@Applepie356 I used something similar in mine, although not a bus driver but a long commute to work. I used the safety checks etc. I was told by the interviewer give me a specific time not a general overview. How did you check the vehicle, what tools did you use, speed limits - how fast were you going exactly. How did you remain focused and maintain concentration.

That sort of thing. Basically, I was told to give a specific example of this. Hope this helps formatting in the star principle

dan2610

@Applepie356 as above, if you talk about one specific day as a bus driver, you’ll get much higher marks, rather than saying these are things you do all time which may well be the case.

Applepie356

@Applepie356 as above, if you talk about one specific day as a bus driver, you’ll get much higher marks, rather than saying these are things you do all time which may well be the case.
@Applepie356 I used something similar in mine, although not a bus driver but a long commute to work. I used the safety checks etc. I was told by the interviewer give me a specific time not a general overview. How did you check the vehicle, what tools did you use, speed limits - how fast were you going exactly. How did you remain focused and maintain concentration.

That sort of thing. Basically, I was told to give a specific example of this. Hope this helps formatting in the star principle

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys

dan2610

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys

I’d probably say something like:

Situation: what the particular day or individual journey involved. You could say for example “I’m going to talk about the example from my most recent shift as a bus driver, from the time I left the bus depot until the time I returned.”

Task: what your job involved during that time frame. Safety considerations, time management, customer service, communication etc...

Actions: what exactly did YOU do to ensure you completed all these tasks to a high standard. Use “I” as much as possible.

Result: how your actions resulted in a successful journey, on time, customers happy, everybody safe, vehicle safe etc etc.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much. I like how you've put in a previous post about keeping passengers informed of delays, diversions etc. As well as the part about getting information from your controller to handle the situation more efficiently.

You will be getting the usual, how did that make you feel, why did you do it this way and not another way, did you consider this or that when you made this decision.

Once you've got that specific situation in mind, the star principle will flow nicely. The follow up questions are there to assess how you react to being badged during your example, how you recover with your example after being questioned half way through this. It's a psychometrics test at the end of the day. Sounds like you know what you're doing though

Lankywhale

These are the questions I was asked in my MMI with GWR:

Mmi
1. A time you had to do something in the face of difficulty

2. A time you had to do something where it was important not to make a mistake

3. A time you had to deal with Rules and procedures

She then also asked: If you saw a colleague not following rules and procedures, what would you do.

4. A time I dealt with an emergency situation

5. A time you had to persevere to learn or achieve something

6. A time you completed a task similar to a task a train driver does

At one point during the interview she also asked a hypothetical question, which was: if a colleague was falling behind with work, what would you do?

Followed by: What else could you do to assist them.

Hipe this helps someone

387star

On Moderation
Advice for anyone is to prepare for two years training

At Thameslink trainees were sometimes training up to two years or longer due to these factors:
Driver Instructor (DI) shortage
Having a DI but unable to drive a train as they hadn't been on the traction course during new traction rollout thus achieving single figure hours per week and delaying other trainees from gaining a DI
Having to sign all routes and diversions. Other companies it's core routes.
Traction dragged out over a month. More organised TOCS do it in a fortnight.
Paired with a DI from a depot which isn't there own so losing more hours.
Waiting for management to pass them out
Waiting for managers to do rides
Delays in getting trainees on risk awareness courses
DI on holiday or sick.
Booked leave
Not enough turns on certain core routes requiring trainees needing to book tine off
Depot visits and walkarounds...time needs to be booked off for this

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonVoorhees¥

How do I pay to do the train drivers psychometric tests?? I had all the info people to contact but have lost it any help. No vacancies anywhere currently and if I pay to do them and pass might be a bonus (no guarantees I know)

Pepperami

its a fool hardy thing to try and search for ways to pay for the tests and to be fair, what if you paid and failed?

You then cannot apply again for a set period of time and you have wasted your money

I would wait until you have found a vacancy and applied, the tests are part of it, but you have a bit to do before those :)

Bas66

Hello all

Does anyone have any recommendations for the computer tests you can download?
I’ve got my friend’s books with the DOTs tests but he didn’t use the computer test prep for GWR.

Any ideas would be welcome and apologies if this has been asked but maybe not recently. Thanks

S-Car-Go

Hello all

Does anyone have any recommendations for the computer tests you can download?
I’ve got my friend’s books with the DOTs tests but he didn’t use the computer test prep for GWR.

Any ideas would be welcome and apologies if this has been asked but maybe not recently. Thanks
https://www.how2become.com/guides/train-driver-tests/ It's less than 10 quid.
I used How2Become but bought the book and DVD years ago. It doesn't cover absolutely everything, the tests aren't quite the same as the real thing but they are testing the same skills. I passed all the psychometrics on my 2nd attempt, and now in training on the mainline. Good luck with your application!

Bas66

Last edited:

Bas66

Thank you very much S Car. I did reply but didn’t show up for some reason. I’ve ordered the books from eBay.
The computer tests look similar to my airline assessment computer tests. But the train ones look more complicated so wanted to have a go first :o Thanks again.