• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Lee0901

Does anyone that's recently been through the assessment process know roughly how long the reading comprehension extract usually is please? I.e., 4, 5,6 paragraphs.

Any idea of likely pass marks required?

Thanks
Its not that long and it's a lot easier than the practice stuff they send you. If you search for the glop test on here you'll get some of the answers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Catweasel

Agreed, I never wore a suit for the assessment days. Only wore it for DMI.

Wore shirt, trousers and shoes. You have to be comfortable to perform at your best.
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum 5 mins ago, as I am mid-assessment. Jay.hgv, I had to go to work after, so had work polo shirt, work cargo trousers and trainers on, and they didnt have a problem with it. I explained I was going to work after. I've done my paper assessment, got computer tests on Thursday morning, with MMI after. Wish me luck!

PickleTree

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum 5 mins ago, as I am mid-assessment. Jay.hgv, I had to go to work after, so had work polo shirt, work cargo trousers and trainers on, and they didnt have a problem with it. I explained I was going to work after. I've done my paper assessment, got computer tests on Thursday morning, with MMI after. Wish me luck!
Good luck, make sure you prepare for the MMI think of plenty of competency based examples and answer using the STAR method.

Wings

Morning everyone.
I'd like to start the journey to become a driver for GWR so I've been checking the First jobs page most days for 6 months but have yet to see any trainee openings. Or any other roles for that matter! Am I missing something or is it down to good ol' Covid?

Can someone briefly summarise the initial steps for a complete beginner or point me in the right direction? When was the last GWR trainee opening?

Best wishes to all,

DunfordBridge

Most certainly down to Covid. I am down for Paddington, advertised in February 2020 roughly. Covid has impacted their ability to do assessments and they cannot give a timescale when recruitment for trainee drivers begins again.

dan2610

@Wings it entirely depends on where you’d look to be based as different areas open up at different times.

Which depot(s) would you look to apply for?

Wings

Thanks for your replies. @dan2610 I'd be looking for Penzance or Par but realise I might have to relocate for a few years before getting back home. As I say, hoping to get foot in the door with any position and work my way up from the inside.. But so far very little movement.
This thread has useful up to date info the more i read through it. Page 50 or so onwards for anyone in the same boat..

dan2610

Thanks for your replies. @dan2610 I'd be looking for Penzance or Par but realise I might have to relocate for a few years before getting back home. As I say, hoping to get foot in the door with any position and work my way up from the inside.. But so far very little movement.
This thread has useful up to date info the more i read through it. Page 50 or so onwards for anyone in the same boat..

I’m currently in the talent pool for Penzance, which was advertised in November/December 2018. As far as I’m aware, that was the last external recruitment drive for both Pnz & Par. That was advertised as the 2020/21 talent pool.

I have no idea if there are any future drives planned to populate any further pools, but Covid has quite possibly delayed that as it’s caused a backlog in training everywhere it seems.

Going elsewhere then transferring back might be an option, but it’s worth considering you could still be in for a very long wait. I don’t know how easy it is to transfer from one GWR depot to another, so you might need to see if anyone on here has experience for that.

They’ve continuously advertised for a qualified talent pool at Penzance and Par for the whole of this year at least. But you’d probably be looking at 5 years or more from now if you applied for a different TOC and then transferred back.

Wings

OK great info, thanks again @dan2610. Hope there is movement for you soon.

I'll get on and wait my turn. Is your talent pool for all jobs or driver specific?

Coldupnorth

Hi all,

I’ve just been invited for interview at Northern for a trainee driver role.

Has anyone had an interview recently and able to offer me some insight as to the sort of questions to expect? It says competency based but I’m not sure what competencies they’re marking it against!

Many thanks

ILoveLamp

Hi all,

Has anyone had an interview recently and able to offer me some insight as to the sort of questions to expect? It says competency based but I’m not sure what competencies they’re marking it against!

Many thanks

All the info you need is on the forum, take some time to peruse this and the other relative threads as well as the search function, which I have found helpful. It will take time, but doing the research and making notes will make you well prepared.

Driver2B

Hi all,

Many thanks

Look back at the job advertisement. They will have listed the competencies which they expect you to have. They are likely to include things such as a high regard for safety, an excellent communicator, able to follow rules and procedures, being able to make decisions, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

SVDW995

Hi everyone,

I've been invited to interview for a trainee Driver role at Northern and I am wondering if I should be asking the managers questions? If so, can you advise what kind of questions so I don't come across as a total dope!

Also, this forum is amazing - I've been reading and lurking for a long time. I am just amazed I have gotten through a paper sift, and I have found some great advice to help me prepare for the interview (or the DMI as I now know!).

Thank you,

SVDW

Driver2B

Hi everyone,

I've been invited to interview for a trainee Driver role at Northern and I am wondering if I should be asking the managers questions? If so, can you advise what kind of questions so I don't come across as a total dope!

Also, this forum is amazing - I've been reading and lurking for a long time. I am just amazed I have gotten through a paper sift, and I have found some great advice to help me prepare for the interview (or the DMI as I now know!).

Thank you,

SVDW

This is a difficult one. When I did my DMI, they initially talked in great detail about the role and the salary for about 20 minutes, leaving nothing unanswered. Also, you are expected to do your research way before DMI, so asking objective questions could make it seem like you simply haven't done your research (ie, aren't proactive enough).

What I did was I asked a couple of subjective questions. That way it doesn't show lack of research and could possibly make you look more insightful.
Examples could include:
* What do you think is the most rewarding aspect of being a train driver?
* What do you think are the biggest challenges a train driver faces?
* If I were accepted onto your training course, what piece of advice would you give me to help me in my training?

I hope that this is helpful.

SVDW995

That was exactly my thought process, and I couldn't even think of a informational/fact based question to ask as all of the information is readily accessible.

Your questions are perfect, and have given me a brilliant springboard to formulate some more - asking about their opinion and experience is not something I can research!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mohka89

This is a difficult one. When I did my DMI, they initially talked in great detail about the role and the salary for about 20 minutes, leaving nothing unanswered. Also, you are expected to do your research way before DMI, so asking objective questions could make it seem like you simply haven't done your research (ie, aren't proactive enough).

What I did was I asked a couple of subjective questions. That way it doesn't show lack of research and could possibly make you look more insightful.
Examples could include:
* What do you think is the most rewarding aspect of being a train driver?
* What do you think are the biggest challenges a train driver faces?
* If I were accepted onto your training course, what piece of advice would you give me to help me in my training?

I hope that this is helpful.
Thank you for providing these useful questions to ask at the DMI. Appreciate it.

Catweasel

Good luck, make sure you prepare for the MMI think of plenty of competency based examples and answer using the STAR method.
Thanks, PickleTree! Im pleased to say I passed computer assessments and mmi, and I'm due to have my interview with managers W/C 02/11/20, but with this blydi covid lockdown malarky going on again in Wales, who knows when it will be! I'll let you know how it goes!

Welsh lady

Thanks, PickleTree! Im pleased to say I passed computer assessments and mmi, and I'm due to have my interview with managers W/C 02/11/20, but with this blydi covid lockdown malarky going on again in Wales, who knows when it will be! I'll let you know how it goes!
Good luck with your DMI!! Mines also due next week!

Kittman10

Hey all

What tests do prospective train drivers have to pass before being accepted as trainees? Colour blindness? Eyesight?

Advice appreciated.
After you pass all the tests to get a job you will be offered a position subject to a medical which will include eyesight test and colour blindness test

Welsh lady

After you pass all the tests to get a job you will be offered a position subject to a medical which will include eyesight test and colour blindness test
Do you do the medical only when given a start date or once confirmed you're in the pool?

Driver2B

That was exactly my thought process, and I couldn't even think of a informational/fact based question to ask as all of the information is readily accessible.

Your questions are perfect, and have given me a brilliant springboard to formulate some more - asking about their opinion and experience is not something I can research!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

@SVDW995

Glad they were useful!

You're very welcome!

Good luck!

Thank you for providing these useful questions to ask at the DMI. Appreciate it.

@Mohka89

You're welcome! Thanks for the thanks!

Kittman10

Do you do the medical only when given a start date or once confirmed you're in the pool?
No when you start.
im not sure how much you know about talent pools but they are basically a cruel beast the companies have you on standby for when they might need you.
you will only get a medical when you are offered a position