• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A circular rail trip around Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Starting from King's Cross, proceeding north on the ECML and returning south by the WCML.
I assume that the Southbound leg would involve transferring from main line to local line at Watford Junction and then returning to King's Cross via Camden Junction and the NLL.
What is the northernmost point where a train can come off the ECML to join the WCML?
If, hypothetically this was a forum outing, where would brief stops - for refreshment and photographic purposes - be made.
Which would be the preferred rolling stock - something current, or something like a 55? Perhaps the unusual route would limit the options.
How many "Hertford loop" type opportunities exist on the network - with the train leaving the main line at one point and rejoining it further on with no reversing involved?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Well, a reversal would need to be made as I believe the junction from NLL to ECML is north facing.
Also, Hertford loop, Hitchin-Cambridge-Peterborough, Peterborough-Lincoln-Doncaster, Doncaster-Leeds-York, Northallerton-Sunderland-Newcastle (I think you can use Newcastles bridges to negotiate no reversal) Preston-Bolton-Manchester-Crewe/Manchester-Stockport-Stoke, Stafford-Birmingham-Rugby and Northampton loop would all qualify I think :)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
What is the northernmost point where a train can come off the ECML to join the WCML?

Depends how you define the ECML and WCML I guess. Ultimately I suppose you could take ECML, then Aberdeen, Elgin, Inverness, Glasgow and south on the WCML.

Established Member
Easiest one to do is a King's Cross - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Euston run. As IanXC has said, it depends on what lines you include in the definition of ECML and WCML.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I started working out an itinery for a round Britain circular trip.

Started at Blackpool Tower, then:
Tram to Fleetwood
Ferry to Knott End
Bus to Lancaster
Train to Heysham, Morecambe (lunch), Carnforth, Barrow, Carlisle (sleep).

From memory, day 2 included a bus Dumfries to Stranraer, eventually ending up at Largs.

Great fun to work out, even if I never do it in real life!

Schnellzug

Established Member
If it was a trip right round Britain, surely you'd turn right at Crewe and head for Holyhead, then back to Llandudno jct., Blaenau Ffestionogog*, Porthmadog, down the Cambrian & then along to Shrewsbury, via the Central Wales line to Swansea, then on to Fishguard if you liked, then back to Bristol & down to Penzance, back via Exeter & Yeovil to Weymouth, then Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton, Hastings, Ashford, Dover, then back to London via KX T'Link.

* I know I have

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just checked the website, which shows it as running. Is there something Fylde Council and/or Wyre Marine aren't saying on line??

Wyre Marine Services (Mobile : 07793 270934) have Fleetwood to Knott-End-on-Sea monthly ferry timetables to the end of 2012 on the Wyre Council website. Their address is shown as:-
The Slipway
Esplanade
Fleetwood

Status
Not open for further replies.