• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Couple of cancelled tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does anyone know why the Waverly on 19 Aug & North Wales Steam Train on 26 Aug have been cancelled. ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

There are few RYTC cancellations over the next two months - there's an article on p.16 of the latest Railway Herald but no reason given.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Could well be lack of bookings, as I hear this year's Scarborough Flyer hasn't been so full. I do wonder if RTC have gone too far with their programme this year - they advertised no less than 27 steam tours in August, including 3 on some days. Is there really a market for so many such trips? I notice Pathfinder has also cancelled its 'Carmarthen Coast Express' later this month "due to the very low number of bookings received".

The Northern Lights 'Gas' Guzzler Railtour, Monday 27th August, be in doubt - or so rumour has it - a lack of bookings.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Greetings from an isolated sideroad in sunny Ulster where I'm enjoying my first proper signal for an extended period since Saturday!

Anyway, I think the problem with Mr Hill's Northern Lights is that it's a looooooooong day. If you're doing the BLS's Derbyshire outing the 'day' of the tour I don't really think it's worthwhile doing both - you'd be exhausted by the time you reach Motherwell. I do think there's a limit to how long a tour can be - usually 16 hours is the most I can muster up the interest for, on a 7am start I usually have reached the point by 9pm or so where I begin to tire of the day. I think the 24hrs plus on 27 August is taking it well beyond the limit for many people - for a few I just think it'll turn out to be quite an expensive sleep!

Chester025

Anyway, I think the problem with Mr Hill's Northern Lights is that it's a looooooooong day. If you're doing the BLS's Derbyshire outing the 'day' of the tour I don't really think it's worthwhile doing both - you'd be exhausted by the time you reach Motherwell. I do think there's a limit to how long a tour can be - usually 16 hours is the most I can muster up the interest for, on a 7am start I usually have reached the point by 9pm or so where I begin to tire of the day. I think the 24hrs plus on 27 August is taking it well beyond the limit for many people - for a few I just think it'll turn out to be quite an expensive sleep!

But this matters not surely if you're a needy track cripple...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am certainly, and I'm sure some won't be bothered by it. However, that 'some' alone won't sell out a railtour, and obviously won't cover the costs as a result. What helps a lot of tours is general interest, unfortunately I think that may be somewhat lacking here!

table38

Established Member
Technically it's only a ~15 hour tour starting and finishing at Motherwell, it's only a long day if you chose to take advantage of the positioning moves from Crewe, for most of which I plan to be asleep :)

In fact I was considering bailing at Cumbernauld on the way back and staying in Glasgow somewhere!

garnon

Well now Mr Hill is a member of the BLS perhaps the Society will do the decent thing and assist (at arm's length) in its promotion rather than ignoring its existence...?

I guess though if Gas is going to 'pull' the tour, he needs to do that pretty much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.