• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A couple of short terminates involving Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I cannot understand why there are no trains on the Blackpool South Branch in most of November, December to February. Pleasure Beach is open Saturdays & Sundays in February & November, as well as Feb half term events.(Showzam) Poor show Northern Rail :(

driver9000

Established Member
Out of curiosity why would the Colne service start from Kirkham?

It has often been said there should be a 'shopping hours' Sunday service on the Blackpool South line but I can't remember the last time there was a winter Sundays service down there. I can find reference to the last weekend in February 2000 having a Sunday service though. I think the only way it would gain a Sunday service was if someone (councils etc) were prepared to provide a case for one but there doesn't seem to be much interest to do so on the surface. It is viewed as a light traffic route on Sundays off season and is probably the reason it was withdrawn in the first place (possibly in Regional Railways days). A business case would need to be provided showing that there is potential traffic on the line for a Sunday to warrant cost of a unit, crews, track access etc.

In regard to trains terminating short, you will often see the last Colne service terminate at Blackburn or Rose Grove and the last Liverpool sometimes terminates at St Helens Central or Huyton.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To show it is possible that Sunday services can be added to a normal timetabled Monday to Saturday only service, an hourly Sunday Manchester Victoria-Atherton-Wigan Wallgate service was added to that timetable to evaluate matters some time ago. I am unsure who was the prime mover in instigating this.

driver9000

Established Member
To show it is possible that Sunday services can be added to a normal timetabled Monday to Saturday only service, an hourly Sunday Manchester Victoria-Atherton-Wigan Wallgate service was added to that timetable to evaluate matters some time ago. I am unsure who was the prime mover in instigating this.

As I recall GMPTE were behind it.

VTPreston_Tez

Out of curiosity why would the Colne service start from Kirkham?

It's as far as a train can go if the South branch is closed. Or even better, merge it with the Lancaster-Heysham, if Northern can get the stock. Diversions to North may be viable, or possibly up to Barrow, but I'm not sure about viability.

Wath Yard

Merge what with the Lancaster - Heysham service? There isn't a Lancaster - Heysham service. There is 1 train per day, which doesn't run on Sundays, and even if there was such a service why would you extend the Colne service to Heysham?

VTPreston_Tez

It's more of a diversion than anything. Maybe one a day extended to Heysham and one extra to Morecambe, rest terminate Preston/Lancaster?

Wath Yard

Or maybe terminate at Preston as they do now rather than some wacky scheme to run an empty Pacer half way round Lancashire.

driver9000

Established Member
Merging with services at Lancaster wouldn't be viable because you'd have to find crews who sign Preston-Lancaster, paths along the 20 mile void and ensure the stock workings balance.

Terminating at Kirkham doesn't matter in the winter when there is no service to Blackpool South. Even if it did, you'd need to consider the effect on other services with the train standing in the platform because they can't always access the branch to reverse behind the ground signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.