• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Day in the Life of a TTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
I've just written about what my day involves been a TTI at the Great Central Railway. Posted on my Blog: It's a bit of long read but you may find it interesting and you may not. Maybe a useful read for those who might want to do something similar at their local Preserved Line. :)

Before I begin a little background information. I'm currently a Trainee TTI (Travelling Ticket Inspector) on the Great Central Railway in Loughborough, Leicestershire. This Weekend GCR held a Weekend dedicated to the Class 33 Locomotive and the 4-CIG Slam door Train, a type of train heavily used in the Southern Area for the past 40 years until about 2 years ago when all but 2 were withdrawn. Picture: http://gcrailway.fpic.co.uk/p28843532.html

My Journey to GCR involves me getting up at 6am, Bus at 7am and eventually arriving at Loughborough at 10:15, so I live quite a fair bit away.

I'm told to work the 11:15 Service formed of a Set of Carriages (In this case the RKB Set. RKB stands for Restaurant Kitchen Buffet) and a Steam Locomotive to Leicester North and back. Ticket Inspecting can be uneventful at times and this service wasn't any different with only the odd couple of families missing a ticket or two. It seems unfair to charge them for an another ticket as 99% of people don't want to fare evade. In these cases the tickets turned up later on in the day . After a chat with the Station Staff at Leicester about there recent Vandalism, sadly Leicester North Station is vandalised occasionally. In this instance the Benches were broken or dumped nearby.

Arriving Back at Loughborough with a quick cross-platform interchange, that's an advantage of the GCR is the Common Island Platform Design meaning no crossing Footbridges just a quick 5 second walk to the opposite Platform. The 12:30 CIG was there waiting to depart and off we went. A quick introduction to Phil the Guard and off I wondered to the rear cab to prepare the almighty round of inspecting. As I had anticipated there were a large number of "Diesel Bashers" as I like to call them. Most are quite friendly folk but others can be people you would want to avoid due there rudeness. The ones who you wish you didn't want on your train are the people who think that they can do whatever they like on the train. In this case it was a normal dose of Hogging Every Window, Feet on Seats, Sat in First Compartments (I normally don't mind) and the flow of alcohol. One however said "WHY SHOULD I SHOW YOU MY TICKET?!?" and I kindly pointed out to him the fact that I was a Ticket Inspector. Friendly bunch of folks, aren't they?

For the rest of the day I was on the CIG back and forth to Rothley. Having a Friendly Chat with a South West Trains Driver (Where our 4-CIG was previously operated by) and with other GCR Workers. General Chatting like this makes the GCR worth volunteering for as it is a friendly atmosphere among Staff sort of like a 'Family' and you can gain some useful knowledge at the same time. One last Trip on the 3:30 Trip with about 45 People on board with a final ticket check of the day. An enjoyable day out on the 4-CIG although I expected a slightly bigger turnout.

I then took a trip to my favourite signalman of the railway (You know who you are!!) and just chatted in the box with other people for 45 minutes or so.

That's it really. A Day in the Life of a Ticket Inspector. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
An interesting read.
Does it always take just over 3 hours to get to the GCR, or does it / would it differ if you were to go on a weekday or Sunday?
Attitudes like "Why should i show you my ticket?" are pathetic on a preserved railway, it's not like anybody is forcing them to ride
Certainly everybody i spoke to appreciated the GCR, a line that had no history with Southern EMU's, putting on a special weekend for the unit.
The Wimbledon drivers came as they arranged to do some driving of 1393, they missed the simplicistic operation i expect :!: :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ticket Inspecting can be uneventful at times and this service wasn't any different with only the odd couple of families missing a ticket or two. It seems unfair to charge them for an another ticket
Do they not get family tickets? Yep, it can be difficult if you have a large number of tickets to look after ensuring none get lost, so group tickets are a big help in that area (plus better value).

Guinness

Established Member
TheSlash said:
An interesting read.
Does it always take just over 3 hours to get to the GCR, or does it / would it differ if you were to go on a weekday or Sunday?
Attitudes like "Why should i show you my ticket?" are pathetic on a preserved railway, it's not like anybody is forcing them to ride
Certainly everybody i spoke to appreciated the GCR, a line that had no history with Southern EMU's, putting on a special weekend for the unit.
The Wimbledon drivers came as they arranged to do some driving of 1393, they missed the simplicistic operation i expect :!: :D

Takes about 2 hours getting there and 1:45 back because of quick connections at Derby and Stoke.

None of that German computerised Desiro stuff on a CIG. ;)

Craig

Established Member
Are you a desperate TTI? :p

Used to take me about the same amount of time to get to the NYMR when I volunteered there. Sadly I don't have time for it these days.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Chaz said:
None of that German computerised Desiro stuff on a CIG. ;)
Just relays that keep the Guard entertained by playing "What the **** was that sound?". ;)

Craig said:
Are you a desperate TTI?
I am after I've eaten Jammie Dodgers. :D

yorkie said:
Do they not get family tickets? Yep, it can be difficult if you have a large number of tickets to look after ensuring none get lost, so group tickets are a big help in that area (plus better value).
Calm down dear, it's only a ticket.

Guinness

Established Member
Craig said:
You're an incontinent TTI then :p

I'm still a trainee. I only recently got out of nappies.
[EDIT]
yorkie said:

They had 2 Tickets. 2 Adults with 2 Children (3 Years and 4 Years). Children go free. 1 Adult ticket was missing but later was found.

metrocammel

Craig said:
Are you a desperate TTI? :p

Used to take me about the same amount of time to get to the NYMR when I volunteered there. Sadly I don't have time for it these days.

I'm extremely keen whenever I'm checking tickets, this weekend on a railtour I was stewarding, I made sure a bunch of "Spoon Goons" paid their fares, some of whom were obviously trying to avoid paying. Also, whenever I'm volunteering at the Elsecar Railway on Daisy, I make sure all the tickets / rovers are in order- (I even grip rovers! ;) )

I should also be getting a morning (before college) job soon at Salford Central checking tickets on the barriers, so anyone on dubious tickets, beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.