• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day to the North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Today I traveled more then 8 hours by train, just for a handfull nice photo's.
The SM90 trainsets, wich are 12 years old, are being withdrawn from service, and I still wanted a nice photo of them. Here we see 2 SM90 sets on their way to Zwolle near Dalfsen.

*NOTE: Imige resized*
img388715ic.jpg

And A DH2 just outside Leeuwarden.... I was there for the first time and a good friend showed me the location. ;)
img392611mm.jpg

I will come back to that location earlyer on the day, and when there is sunlight. And not (like this photo) with the last sunbeems. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Why are the SM90 trainsets being withdrawn after only 12 years of service? Unreliable or something?

Nice pics as always

Jordy

Bastiaan

Jordy said:
Why are the SM90 trainsets being withdrawn after only 12 years of service? Unreliable or something?
In the begin years they were indeed unreliable. Now the Dutch railways want to get rid of them, only because the maintenance is too expensive, because it's a small series of nine trainsets of which only four to six are in service.
After this weekend they will be replaced by the "normal" local trainsets of the Dutch railways built in the late sixties/early seventies. These trains actually should have been replaced by SM'90.

Bastiaan

T

Tom

Great photos as always!

TC

[modnotice]1288gaje's first post has been removed due to double posting.

Bastiaan

Two of my pics of the SM'90 "Railhopper" trainsets.

2005_1204_0011.jpg

Two sets departing at the station of Coevorden towards Zwolle.

2005_1209_0012.jpg

Two sets at night in Zwolle station are ready for departure to Emmen.

Bastiaan

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bastiaan said:
Jordy said:
In the begin years they were indeed unreliable. Now the Dutch railways want to get rid of them, only because the maintenance is too expensive, because it's a small series of nine trainsets of which only four to six are in service.
After this weekend they will be replaced by the "normal" local trainsets of the Dutch railways built in the late sixties/early seventies. These trains actually should have been replaced by SM'90.

Bastiaan
But then it is nice to see that some train operators admit they got it wrong, and re-introduce the trusty older trains. (Virgin take note! ;)). This is better than being constantly in denial and giving passengers a poor deal. Got any photos of them?

Out of interest, do your train companies replace comfortable old trains with uncomfy new trains and then put the prices up and say "we have to pay for new trains" or does it only happen to us?

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Well, we have only 1 large railway company for Passenger services, wich is NS. Their old fleet is currently being modernised with new interior (ICR became ICRm). The ICM trainsets, better known as "Koploper" (Cab. above frontdoors). Will be modernised from spring 2006. This program will take 5 years to complete. Further NS ordered 32 net "Sprinter" trainsets based on the German Br 425. With 5 more options (32 trains each) of buying more sets. These sets will replace the Mat. 1964 trains wich are used by NS for Local services.
* can you still follow me ;) ?

NS increases the fares every year by around 4%. The 2 other smaller TOC's in holland for Passenger travel use the NS pricing system. Syntus is using Lint 41H trainsets, while Arriva-Noordned ordered 43 GTW trainsets by a Swiss company.

Further we have Prignizer Eisenbahn and DBregio operating between Enschede and Gronau using the DB ticket system.

And what ConneXXion will do in 2006 is still unknown. But I think they will use the NS fare system.

One thing is true, railway trainsport in Holland is Cheap.

Bastiaan

yorkie said:
But then it is nice to see that some train operators admit they got it wrong, and re-introduce the trusty older trains. (Virgin take note! ;)). This is better than being constantly in denial and giving passengers a poor deal. Got any photos of them?
Well, most Dutch trainspotters seem to like the SM'90s more than the old Materieel'64/Plan V trainsets. There are just too many of them now. And in the far future, when the last one is out of service, all Dutch trainspotters will be crying that we miss that good old Mat'64. Just believe me... :roll:
Pictures of them? Who hasn't... ;)

2005_0808_0012.jpg

Two Plan Vs from Emmen arrive at Zwolle.

2004_1017_0002.JPG

The only interesting Plan V is the one that's painted in its original green livery. Here it's arriving at Zwolle.

Bastiaan

Jordy

Established Member
I really need to go and see some of these trains for myself - they all look very interesting!

Nice pics

Jordy

Bastiaan

Nice. I really need to go and see some of those Brittish trains because they all look very interesting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.