• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day trip to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwolf

There's many a day I spend lineside with Grandad at Copmanthorpe (between Colton Junction and York) and only see class 66s, sometimes going a couple of hours before seeing anything.

But today, I had a day out shopping in York, catching the train from Cross Gates. On the trip I saw four class 66s, a 31, and a 37! Bloody amazing... Just goes to show you needn't spend hours waiting on a platform, or by the lineside; just have a thirty-minute train journey instead haha

Sent from my U20i

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Way it works sometimes. Yesterday just on a simple shopping trip to sheffield from chapeltown with the girlfriend i saw 3 66s. 1 FL 1 DBS and one DRS.

Now 66s dont sound great but for sheffield midland that is quite impressive for 10 minutes on a weekday afternoon!

Whereas ive been to church fenton for 2 hours before and seen no freight at all!

silverwolf

Yorkhire is pretty pants for railfreight now-a-days. I mean if you have a love affair for 66s then maybe it's alright at times, but I prefer the West Coast and the Midlands... But then again it's getting there!

Sent from my U20i

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yorkhire is pretty pants for railfreight now-a-days. I mean if you have a love affair for 66s then maybe it's alright at times, but I prefer the West Coast and the Midlands... But then again it's getting there!

Sent from my U20i

Yep exactly. i try make it down to tamworth every now and again but it doesnt get much better than that for me. I do like Doncaster though. And the midlands doesnt have the settle to carlisle!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was changing trains at Derby recently, and saw a DRS 37 shunting Network Rail stock around the yard. There's normally an interesting amount of stuff around there, another recent journey in saw us head through a cloud of 31 clag.

Happened to see a 73 the other day too, when down south. It was heading north towards Horsham while I was on a 377 towards Bognor. Shame I wasn't on a platform really, would have liked a better look!

silverwolf

I've just checked the 37(612) in my book and it says that it's from RTC at Derby and was on pool code XHSS (DRS Stored Locomotives). So it looks like I fell lucky ha

Sent from my U20i

Status
Not open for further replies.