• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Few photos I was suprised at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Hey all.

As you might know, when im in a station with a long connection, i take photos of trains on my iphone usually they are pretty poor though (advice for cameras in appreciated)

HST
269109_2082211008643_1046117897_2391850_284628_n.jpg

Meridian
261426_2082209648609_1046117897_2391849_3970265_n.jpg

TWO MERIDIANS JOINED TOGETHER
263717_2082432694185_1046117897_2392097_7088546_n.jpg

Two meridians joined together [HDR]
262311_2082431254149_1046117897_2392096_4830047_n.jpg

Thoughts on the pics? and the HDR compared to normal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
There's nothing wrong with the Iphone/Ipod Touch camera, not at least on the new models.

I would love to have a proper camera. But I'll be honest, I get low income as a TNT Dispatcher and I've got better things to spend my money on. I'm sure you can get amateur cameras at low prices, but I'm not going to do it.

Why?

Because the camera on my Ipod is easily good enough. Its got a HD Camera and an advanced backside illumination sensor that delivers brilliant video in both bright and low-light settings. And once I've finished photographing, I can tap a few buttons and my railway photos can be on the internet, without having to go through the laborious process of the PC and the USB cable.

If you gave me a proper Cannon, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. The buttons, the settings, the options, it truly would be a waste. I doubt I could get the best out of it, I'm completely useless at working out how to function technology properly.

The Ipod/Iphone is easy. Just tap to start, tap to end. If you're a beginner, you don't need anything else. The Ipod suffices perfectly well.

Finally, photographing at stations is tricky anyway. Even if you can set up your equipment away from the commuters, the chances are that within three seconds of even looking at a HST you'll be lynched by the staff. You should ask for permission, but even so, there are some funny regulations and very funny people out there (not the ha ha kind either).

Getting onto what you want to hear :) the photos are very nice. I like the Class 222, I think it's a popular one as well. I may have missed this, but where were they taken?

Yew

Established Member
They where taken at nottingham. the HST was a few months ago, however i only just realised its not too bad :)

HST Power

Established Member
They where taken at nottingham. the HST was a few months ago, however i only just realised its not too bad :)

Indeed, it's a good one. The only difficult part is getting the steady hand, but once you've mastered that you can get some really good shots.

chrismid259

Nice photos! You can get good photographs from using any camera - it's the way you use the camera to get the final image that counts. Some people will take photos and post-process them to get the results they want. Infact, that's exactly what most DSLR users do. You could also take many images and merge them together to create a HDR image, although this can be done with one image as you've shown us here.

There's no point in spending lots of money on equipment that you don't need! If you're happy with the photographs you're taking, then stick with what you've got until you feel the need to upgrade.

Obviously, if you're really into taking photographs, then you might invest in a camera then. But what type of camera would depend on how much you would use it and what you'd be using it for.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I must say that the HDR image of the paired-up 222s looks a lot better than the standard one. Goodness knows how your iPhone does it, but fair dos to it. Far superior to the camera on a BlackBerry 8520 Curve that's for sure...

As for advice on cameras, I'm definitely not the person to ask on that. As others have said, it depends what level of photography you're at, what you want to achieve and all of that sort of thing. If your iPhone can do the job you want, then why bother paying out shed loads of cash for some fancy thing that's too complicated and impossible to master? Professional photographers, yes I can understand their wanting a DSLR, but for us normal photographers who desire to capture the current railway scene, then usually we're not going to need such a device.

Comments on the photos in general, starting with the HST shot. Nowt wrong with it as it is, however that opinion changes depending on what you're trying to convey with the shot. As it is, it's a clean three-quarter profile shot of the power car. If that's all you need from the shot, then good stuff. Perhaps, however, you'd like to convey a sense of busyness at Nottingham at this time. In which case, this shot doesn't work. A shot of the HST in general at Nottingham perhaps? If so, I'd have gone for platform 3 and gone as far west down that platform as you can, as that would much more clearly show the whole train and, should it have been of mixed liveries, given the photo something extra. I hope you see what I'm getting at and that's it's merely constructive criticism.

As for the 222 shot, that one I'd have liked more if it had been shot from further on up the platform and showed more of the 158 as well, a staggered effect if you will. The paired 222s, the HDR shot is the better of the two for showing off the vibrant colours more, what I'd have changed is the angle. Lower down and facing the couplers at a 90 degree angle (that is, 90 degrees from the side of the 222), offering both a view of the coupled-up 222s and also that of anything else that would have otherwise been blocked out of view. Looks like nothing else would have been viewable, certainly if there was I can't see it. Hope you see what I mean by that.

I'd show you exactly what I mean with my own photos, alas I'm busy uploading to Photobucket at the moment thus cannot access my albums. Should I remember to do so next time I'm online, which may not be for a few days, I'll show you then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Finally got around to having a look for what I meant with regards to the HST shot, hopefully I've got this right

43046, Nottingham, 18th July 2009 by 43002, on Flickr

Also this one

A closer view of 43046, 18th July 2009 by 43002, on Flickr

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's nothing wrong with the Iphone/Ipod Touch camera, not at least on the new models.

The iPhone 4 camera is 5-megapixels, the iPod touch 4G is 0.7-megapixels. I have an iPod touch and for stills, it's really not very good - but it can record HD at 720p (well almost!) at a reasonable frame rate.

To be fair, it's okay for what it is - a tiny device that can play music, video and apps, plus surf the net (with Wi-Fi) and being able to capture video that can be edited on the device is a nice touch - especially the easy YouTube uploading.

However, if you want a phone with a really good camera then you're probably better off looking at a high-end Android phone, such as the Sony Ericsson Xperia arc or neo, both with 8.1-MP cameras with Sony's Exmor R sensor - or some of the dual-core devices that will capture at 1080p/30fps and a very impressive bitrate that will get you some incredible videos - and pretty good stills to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.