• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A few trips: Orrell-Leytonstone-Dover-Leytonstone-Bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Hi My mum is 60 without any railcards or bus passes etc but she has an Oyster card and is travelling on a few journies soon and i was hoping for some fare advice.

She is starting in Orrell but can easily get to Wigan Manchester or Liverpool and Heading to Leytonstone So Presumabley cheapest tickets are a Orrell-Liverpool Lime St and a London Midland only single Liverpool-London and she has an Oyster card for the tube section. She is travelling on the 31st March and can leave and arrive at any time on the 31st.

Secondly on the 3rd April she is travelling From Leytonstone-Dover how best is she to do this route and how much is a ticket she would prefer a lunchtime departure for this.

Thirdly on the 5th April she is travlling back to London and is heading back to Leytonstone presume same route/fare for above or as part of a open return?

on the 7th April she is travelling to bath is there any good split points for cheaper tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi My mum is 60 without any railcards or bus passes etc but she has an Oyster card and is travelling on a few journies soon and i was hoping for some fare advice.
A Senior Railcard will save her money in just these trips alone and she then has the discount card for the next year.
She is starting in Orrell but can easily get to Wigan Manchester or Liverpool and Heading to Leytonstone So Presumabley cheapest tickets are a Orrell-Liverpool Lime St and a London Midland only single Liverpool-London and she has an Oyster card for the tube section. She is travelling on the 31st March and can leave and arrive at any time on the 31st.
That sounds a good plan to me, it is likely to be the cheapest walk-up option.

Bear in mind a Liverpool-London Super Off Peak Return is only 10p more than a Liverpool-London Super Off Peak Single, if she will be returning at all? Though I see she will end up at Bath, so perhaps a return won't be of much use.
Secondly on the 3rd April she is travelling From Leytonstone-Dover how best is she to do this route and how much is a ticket she would prefer a lunchtime departure for this.
The "best" method will depend on the following requirements:

• Frequency;
  • Speed;
  • Price;
  • Whether step-free access is desirable; and
  • Whether fewer changes is desirable
The fastest method will surely be to change at Stratford & Stratford International (the DLR links the two, or if she prefers she can walk through Westfield shopping centre).

Thirdly on the 5th April she is travlling back to London and is heading back to Leytonstone presume same route/fare for above or as part of a open return?
An Off Peak Return from Stratford Int to Dover Priory costs £37.00 (or £24.40 if a Senior Railcard is held). This has restriction 4A which means that travel is permitted by any train except those timed to depart M-F before 0930. There is no evening restriction.

Oyster PAYG can be used between Leytonstone and Stratford Int.

The Single Fare Finder shows the fare from Leytonstone to Stratford International DLR using Oyster PAYG to be £1.50 peak (M-F 0630-0900 & from 1600-1900) or £1.40 off peak(at all other times including public holidays)

on the 7th April she is travelling to bath is there any good split points for cheaper tickets?
From Leytonstone?

Either an Advance from Stratford to Bath (with Oyster PAYG from Leytonstone to Stratford) or an Advance from Zone U123* London to Bath will cover the journey from Leytonstone. The latter will be less hassle if she wishes to travel from Leytonstone.

I advise against using Oyster PAYG from Leytonstone to Paddington, followed by a London Terminals to Bath Advance (see Advance FAQs and various debates about starting your journey on LU for my reasoning).

Splitting is unlikely to be cheaper if you can get a reasonable advance, however there are some threads regarding London - Bristol / Bath split ticket options that give some tips, if a through Advance ticket is not available, however in this case there are loads of £21.10 Advance fares from Zone U123* London, or £19.50 from Stratford London to Bath Spa at various times throughout the day on Saturday 7 April (this fare will be cheaper with a Senior Railcard though!) 1st Class isn't much extra, and may be worth it as it is a much nicer environment on FGW HSTs.

She can also get discounts on off-peak Oyster PAYG fares if she obtains a Senior Railcard and gets the discount loaded onto the Oyster card.

Last edited:

ji459

An Off Peak Return from Stratford Int to Dover Priory costs £37.00 (or £24.40 if a Senior Railcard is held).

Booking through the Southeastern website the fare would be £27.40 (or £18.05 with Senior Railcard) thanks to their 25% off sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.