• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A first time for everything: train misses booked call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't think you've got the point there, dk1 hasn't suggested it doesn't have an impact or isn't a bad thing, merely that natural human error is blown beyond proportion.
I can't see anyone in this thread getting angry, suggesting incompetence, or complaining about it happening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Don't know what your job is but it sounds like you need to start thinking more about the impact this sort of thing has on passengers rather than it being an inconvenience in your paid employment.

Are you a manager who's always right or an office bod?

Office bods can always hide their mistakes by hitting the backspace or delete keys or put the document in the pc's recycle bin on their computers or even put a document through a shredder should it have been printed.

Train drivers can't & don't have that sort of luxury, any mistake is usually very visible or obvious.

And I have missed out several stations in my time as a driver, some by misreading the stopping pattern, once when they altered the stopping pattern en route during service disruption and never told us.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Office bods can always hide their mistakes by hitting the backspace or delete keys or put the document in the pc's recycle bin on their computers or even put a document through a shredder should it have been printed.

Train drivers can't & don't have that sort of luxury, any mistake is usually very visible or obvious.

And I have missed out several stations in my time as a driver, some by misreading the stopping pattern, once when they altered the stopping pattern en route during service disruption and never told us.
Just imagine if it were several stations at once! Hehe

Have you ever called at stations you were meant to skip?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

najaB

Veteran Member
Out of interest, would drivers normally have some kind of paperwork with them that says what their schedule on that particular service is - including where they are expected to stop? I'm assuming they aren't expected to have memorized the precise timetable?
Yes, they would have the service pattern in writing. As would the guard.

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't think you've got the point there, dk1 hasn't suggested it doesn't have an impact or isn't a bad thing, merely that natural human error is blown beyond proportion.

Thank you :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I travel on the trains regularly but don't remember it happening to a train I was on, so it can't be too common. More common was for late trains to skip Harrow and Wealdstone station but the staff at said station not informed, so passengers not informed.

It doesn't happen that often but as I've stated before, train driving can be very boring & repetitive. Often we are just paying attention to signals & those extra stops or if you're on a service with an unusual stopping pattern it's so easy to drift off. That's why I check my diagram every few minutes.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Happened twice on the tube One on the Metropolitan line at Wembley park it was a fast train but on the timetable board. And another one where a picadilly at 6:30 announced it was going to stop at Turnham Green and Didn't

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Just imagine if it were several stations at once! Hehe

Have you ever called at stations you were meant to skip?

I do know someone who did miss out 2 consecutive stops in both directions on a weekend. Oh the mickey taking for that guy was remorseless. :lol:

Established Member
Lockerbie, already mentioned upthread, used to be a favourite for this in BR days, the situation here made all the more dramatic by the speeds and distances involved. A friend of mine was returning back to the area from Edinburgh and, for some reason, was in charge of a large houseplant on the journey. Her Dad went to Lockerbie to collect her and was slightly surprised to see a rubber plant fly across his field of vision in the doorway of a mk2 at 100mph. All she could do was go to Carlisle and wait for him to catch up in the car.

Staff at Carlisle would sometimes argue about sending you back ASAP. In another incident a different friend asked when the next train back from Carlisle would be. The reply was something along the lines of two hours. So the question was asked again slightly more forcibly, and the answer became ten minutes, and a Euston to Glasgow train found itself stopping out of turn at Lockerbie...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Dieseldriver

Worth pointing out that in the train driving role, a fail to call is the safest, least serious mistake we can make. It is very easy to misread a diagram, particularly when the role demands concentration in other areas too (How many coaches? Double yellow stepping up? Does that Pway bloke know I'm approaching? Braking for TSRs/PSRs etc etc.) No train drivers wants to make these errors, apart from anything else they are treated seriously and go on your Safety of the Line record which can even affect your application to another TOC. Anyone who wants to come down hard on drivers for having a fail to call remember, when was the last time you misread a piece of writing? Just remember, we don't have the luxury of rectifying a mistake that happened in the past and any mistake we make is very public.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Have any drivers called at a station because they were having a brain fart moment? Presume it's just a case of the guard buzzing the driver and not releasing the doors? Has it happened on DOO areas? What would the process be there?

Altnabreac

Established Member
The most annoying missed call I witnessed was at Chester-le-Street where the final service of the day failed to stop as I was waiting to get back to York after a Test Match.

The chap running the independent ticket office there had to get in touch with the TOC control to request a call in a later service. They then tried to deny they were even meant to be stopping initially so it took a while to resolve.

I seem to remember it was a bit of a complex situation with it being an extra call in a Virgin Cross Country service which obviously never usually stop at Chester-le-Street so you could see why the driver forgot.

Still frustrating as a passenger to see your train fly by and have no way to get home that night!

broadgage

Some years ago, services from London Victoria that were due to stop at Nunhead fairly regularly failed to stop.
It was a particularly easy mistake to make, since at the time roughly alternate services on that line stopped at Nunhead.

Also if a service that was due to stop at Nunhead was cancelled, then it was the usual (but not invariable) practice for the next service to stop even if otherwise not booked to so do.

Sometimes if the Nunhead stop had been missed, then the FOLLOWING service made an extra stop there. I never saw the point of that since it was of no assistance to the passengers overcarried. I suspect that someone in control failed to understand the difference between a cancelled service and one that had run but missed a booked stop.

From the following year, IIRC, all services on the line in question stopped at Nunhead.

rebmcr

Established Member

Don't make assumptions about working practices you clearly don't have knowledge of. It doesn't go down too well on these forums!

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
Some years ago, services from London Victoria that were due to stop at Nunhead fairly regularly failed to stop.
It was a particularly easy mistake to make, since at the time roughly alternate services on that line stopped at Nunhead.

Also if a service that was due to stop at Nunhead was cancelled, then it was the usual (but not invariable) practice for the next service to stop even if otherwise not booked to so do.

Sometimes if the Nunhead stop had been missed, then the FOLLOWING service made an extra stop there. I never saw the point of that since it was of no assistance to the passengers overcarried. I suspect that someone in control failed to understand the difference between a cancelled service and one that had run but missed a booked stop.

It may not help the passengers overcarried but it would help any passengers waiting at Nunhead who wanted to board the original train.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Don't make assumptions about working practices you clearly don't have knowledge of. It doesn't go down too well on these forums!

Well... They're acting as they're a 100% perfect manager or office bod, who does no wrong, when they don't know anything. :roll:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
A few questions:

- if a train misses a station altogether, are passengers entitled to any form of delay repay or similar?.
Pass, but possibly.

- could ETRMS be used to eliminate this from happening? As I assume that it could be programmed with the stops so as to display suitable max speeds to allow a station call.
Only if the station has a block marker.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thank you :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It doesn't happen that often but as I've stated before, train driving can be very boring & repetitive. Often we are just paying attention to signals & those extra stops or if you're on a service with an unusual stopping pattern it's so easy to drift off. That's why I check my diagram every few minutes.
I'd only want to be a train driver in the days of steam when there was someone else to talk to.

Have to have a certain mindset to drive a train these days. It sounds aoneky existence.

At least a guard can interact with the passengers.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
At the opposite extreme, my driver stopped at Northallerton, I released the doors, no one got on, no one got off. Looked at departure boards and they said "Stand Back, Fast Train Approaching" so shut doors, buzz, buzz and off we went.....

Werent booked to call.....

ashworth

Established Member
A number of years ago I was travelling from Milton Keynes to Derby on a Saturday evening changing at Tamworth. The train was delayed at Nuneaton for some time due to problems with the overhead wires north of Nuneaton. The train eventually set off but them came to a halt just south of Tamworth where it stood again for quite some time. It then set off and went full speed straight through Tamworth on the centre fast lines as apparently there was a broken down train in the platform. There were a number of us wanting to get off at Tamworth and imagine our amazement when without any apology for what had just happened there was an announcement saying that the next stop on this service will be Stafford. I was quite alarmed by the prospect of having to get back to Derby from Stafford by now getting on for 10pm on a Saturday evening.

We managed to get in touch with the guard and the train stopped to let us get off at Lichfield Trent Valley. Not too bad for the rest of passengers who were only wanting to get back to Tamworth. However, for me the staff at Lichfield were quite concerned when they realised that I needed to get to Derby and it was a good hour before they were able to arrange a taxi for me. I think that was in the days before anyone thought about claiming for a delay. It was well after midnight when I finally arrived back in Derby.

Steveman

I'd only want to be a train driver in the days of steam when there was someone else to talk to.

Have to have a certain mindset to drive a train these days. It sounds aoneky existence.

At least a guard can interact with the passengers.

When steam finally went in 1968 diesels locomotives more often than not still had what was called a "second man" who was the old steam fireman now without a job.

It was the Unions who insisted on it as those were the days when Unions had far more power than now, it took some years before the engines went single manned.

rebmcr

Established Member
When steam finally went in 1968 diesels locomotives more often than not still had what was called a "second man" who was the old steam fireman now without a job.

It was the Unions who insisted on it as those were the days when Unions had far more power than now, it took some years before the engines went single manned.

And it was still mentioned in the GWML HST accident reports from the 2000s that double-manning would likely have prevented one or both of them!

455driver

Veteran Member

If you got rid of the second man who would look after the steam heat boiler?

Taunton

Established Member
Once I was on a TPE Edinburgh [EDB] - Manchester Airport [MIA] service where the driver overshot the platform at Oxenholme.
Curiously I was on a Liverpool-Edinburgh back in the 1970s which also failed to call at Oxenholme. It was pulled up by the guard about a mile beyond, where after much apparent discussion it went on to a special stop at Penrith, from where the passengers had to come back.

It was interesting to see the antics of those who had moved down towards the doors as we went through at speed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sounds like you have no idea either.

All missed call would be logged, and passengers sufficiently delayed will be entitled to compensation as appropriate.

Before anyone asks, it is not worth anyone's job not to report it, and later get found out, so the guard/driver would report such occurrences themselves asap.

gsnedders

Established Member
What would happen if someone called the passcom due to a missed stop? I realise it would just cause more delay, but I do wonder how people (i.e., on-board staff) would react to it!

Chew Chew

Never been on a train that has missed a stop but have been left waiting at a station by one that has flown through in error.

Ended up dumped for it as the then missus, this was back in the days before mobiles, thought I'd stood her up and didn't believe me when I turned up in the pub an hour late. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.