• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A first time for everything: train misses booked call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipness

In over 60 years of rail travel I have never experienced this before, but today travelling on the Penzance to Plymouth train (GWR) the driver forgot to stop at Devonport. Cue a conversation between guard and driver over the P.A. system audible to all passengers.
At least on arrival in Plymouth platform 8 we stopped well short of the Cross Country (Voyager) service to Gloucester!! Just hope that Dawlish is clear today.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
Once I was on a TPE Edinburgh [EDB] - Manchester Airport [MIA] service where the driver overshot the platform at Oxenholme. Then he had to get a line block, and do the walk of shame through the train to the rear cabin to reverse. :D

Then we had to be looped to allow the Virgin train behind us to overtake. <(

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
As already mentioned, not hugely uncommon.

I was on a Summer Saturday Paignton to somewhere that roared through Tiverton Parkway at high speed, to the discomfiture of the family who had made their way to the door to alight!

Change at Taunton; next train back (hope it stopped!).

Traveller54

I remember being on an overnight train fro London in the 70s, when the seating accommodation was compartmented. The train overshot the platform at gleneagles by a few carriages and the sight of a large party of Germans charging down the corridor with their copious luggage really made my morning!

ld0595

I've had this before. I was on the slow train from Glasgow to Dundee which was supposed to stop at Invergowrie. I thought we were going pretty fast until the driver hit the brakes and we stopped about 200m past the station. The driver had to do his walk of shame through the train to reverse back - luckily for him the train wasn't too full but it was certainly an experience!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Happened to me last year when I was down in Southern land, where the driver of the Eastbourne - Brighton service which was meant to call at Glynde shot straight through.

(Would have normally been the Ashford - Brighton service but due to engineering works, the 171 was replaced by 377s doing something like a Victoria - Eastbourne - Brighton - Eastbourne - Victoria diagram, so the driver probably forgot he was on a Brighton stopper rather than a Victoria fast)

Steveman

Not really news as it's not that uncommon, I have seen it about 5 times.

najaB

Veteran Member
I've had this before. I was on the slow train from Glasgow to Dundee which was supposed to stop at Invergowrie.
Given the amount of usage it gets, I'm surprised they bothered - it would have been easier to put any over-carried passengers in taxi.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The only time that this has happened to me was back at some point in 1997 when I was still residing in the West Midlands.

The Stourbridge line (my local line at the time) had services to and from Birmingham Snow Hill every 15 minutes along the common section between Stourbridge Junction and Birmingham SH. There was also an additional Birmingham New Street - Great Malvern service every 60 minutes via SBJ too.

The timetable at that time saw the limited stop Stratford upon Avon - Stourbridge Junction service calling at the regular stops except Tyseley and Small Heath to Birmingham Moor Street, then Snow Hill, Jewellery Quarter, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Cradley Heath, and SBJ. The SBJ - Stratford upon Avon return workings saw it call at Cradley Heath, Rowley Regis, Smethwick GB, Jewellery Quarter, Snow Hill and Moor Street, then as above in reverse.

The Birmingham NS - Great Malvern via SBJ called at Rowley Regis, SBJ, then stations to Great Malvern. The return workings called at stations to SBJ, then it was non-stop to New Street.

I was once on the SBJ - Stratford upon Avon service having boarded at Cradley Heath (my local station at the time) to go to Snow Hill or Moor Street. The driver forgot to call at Rowley Regis, as that was omitted in the SBJ direction. Fortunately at that time, there was only one passenger who wanted to alight there, with zero boarding.

marks87

Established Member
In 2007 I was on a Virgin Trains service where the driver forgot he was due to call at Lockerbie. He must have remembered just before the station, however, because we came to a stop not far past the platform.

After a (relatively) brief delay - presumably to obtain permission from the signaller - we reversed back.

LewFinnis

When I worked in Sutton Coldfield, I regularly saw the reverse of this. There was one am peak train (through from Wolverhampton as it happens) that ran fast from New Street to Sutton Coldfield. It was amazing how often we had passengers trying to get off at Aston; particularly frustrating for them when (as commonly happen) we were held in the platform by the junction signals.
On the other side of the coin (and back to the original issue), there was the morning the driver forgot to stop at Sutton and took us through to Four Oaks!

Llanigraham

Established Member
Once I was on a TPE Edinburgh [EDB] - Manchester Airport [MIA] service where the driver overshot the platform at Oxenholme. Then he had to get a line block, and do the walk of shame through the train to the rear cabin to reverse. :D

Then we had to be looped to allow the Virgin train behind us to overtake. <(

No Line Blockage required, just permission from the signaller to "set back", as long as he was within the required distance. If he was beyond he would have had to work forward to the next station.

howittpie

Happened twice on trains I have been on the first time happened on Virgin service that forgot to stop at Lichfield Trent Valley it was in the days before the regular London Midland service when Virgin ran a Euston to Manchester service that went via Northampton and called at the Trent Valley stations passengers had to travel onto Stafford where they were transferred on to a southbound service that was going to make an additional stop.
The other time was just after East Midlands Parkway opened and a Nottingham to London host failed to stop passengers went onto Leicester to return.

387star

On Moderation
Many years ago the wales and west train I was on forgot to stop at causeland on the liskeard to looe branch line understandable as it is a request stop

The guard must have remembered and buzzed to the driver to stop .... Only overan slightly and driver changed ends and drove back

Sandplace wouod have been a bit of a walk!

dk1

Veteran Member
It happened all the bloody time. Just now it becomes a national disgrace. One of the main reasons I no longer enjoy my job :(

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Would the DAS system that GWR use on some routes prevent trains from missing a booked call?

It happened all the bloody time. Just now it becomes a national disgrace. One of the main reasons I no longer enjoy my job :(

Don't know what your job is but it sounds like you need to start thinking more about the impact this sort of thing has on passengers rather than it being an inconvenience in your paid employment.

Requeststop

Mid 70's Overshot Bristol Parkway om a journey from Temple Meads on a Sunday when there was very few services between the two. The intention was to meet a friend to have a couple of ciders and then catch the train back to Temple Meads. We carried onto Gloucester and on arrival, told to get back on the train to Cheltenham and pic up a service back to Bristol Parkway. At Cheltenham I crossed the platform and waited nearly an hour for the connection. This train was the one I had intended to travel back to Temple Meads. So no drinks with my pal and a journey that cost less than one pound return to Parkway but in fact a return to Cheltenham. Best bargain journey ever for a student. (then)

Don't know what your job is but it sounds like you need to start thinking more about the impact this sort of thing has on passengers rather than it being an inconvenience in your paid employment.

Don't think you've got the point there, dk1 hasn't suggested it doesn't have an impact or isn't a bad thing, merely that natural human error is blown beyond proportion.

Llanigraham

Established Member

Are you perfect and do you never make a mistake?
These "incidents" aren't done on purpose; they are an error, and as has been said they happen all the time.
It strikes me you do not understand a driver's job, and totally misunderstood the point that dk1 was making.

Last edited:

satisnek

I'm pleased to say that I haven't experienced anything like this for a very long time but I can recall a couple of incidents in the late 1980s which were clearly not a case of misjudged braking but more like "Sh**, I'm supposed to stop here" and ending up having to set back.

Clansman

Established Member
Happened to me once just after the first Perth to Edinburgh shuttles came about in 2009 ish, which stopped at North Queensferry infrerquently. The driver completely skipped North Queensferry without a thought until he made an improvised call at Dalmeny to let the passengers off. At least he didn't have to do his walk of shame...

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Happened to me. Driver threw the brake in attempting to stop at Garforth, train had other ideas and wanted to keep going. Driver elected to keep going rather than attempt to stop as he felt it was safer.

Still a fail to call, and still a ****ty feeling to the staff concerned. We had conferred stops and he simply forgot, when he tried to do something about it railhead conditions werent great and the train wasnt going to stop in time. So its not always down to the driver forgetting.

The Ham

Established Member
A few questions:

- if a train misses a station altogether, are passengers entitled to any form of delay repay or similar?

- could ETRMS be used to eliminate this from happening? As I assume that it could be programmed with the stops so as to display suitable max speeds to allow a station call.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I travel on the trains regularly but don't remember it happening to a train I was on, so it can't be too common. More common was for late trains to skip Harrow and Wealdstone station but the staff at said station not informed, so passengers not informed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Are you perfect and do you never make a mistake?
These "incidents" aren't done on purpose; they are an error, and as has been said they happen all the time.
It strikes me you do not understand a driver's job, and totally misunderstood the point that dk1 was making.

Just like lorries aren't driven into railway bridges on purpose:oops:

Dk1 wasn't very clear in what point he was making.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Out of interest, would drivers normally have some kind of paperwork with them that says what their schedule on that particular service is - including where they are expected to stop? I'm assuming they aren't expected to have memorized the precise timetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.