• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A-Levels/GCSEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All the best to those collecting their A/AS-Level results tomorrow and GCSE results the week after!

Can't believe I was collecting mine so long ago now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aussie_Rail

So how do they determine how well you did?

In Victoria in the final year of high school which is Year 12, when you complete your VCE '(Victorian Certificate of Education), the other states have their own name for it. but when you have completed your exams your assessment is given an ENTER score, which then the universities use to determine which course you get in.

So if you get an ENTER of say 65% then you can apply for courses that are under that grade etc.

The best you can do in the State is a 99.9% which only a had full get, usually 99.8% etc.

So I guess after finding out how well you did you will then ask what's next now? So what course at what uni do you plan to apply for?

I am doing Archaeology at Melbourne's La Trobe University, but next September I am planning to commence 2nd year at a UK university, one that I have in mind is UCL in London. Anyone familiar with that one?

Best of luck people.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Best of luck to all concerned. My youngest is awaiting her AS results, and the pressure for results has been relentless now for well over 18 months. How we propose to handle the young nervous wrecks we seem intent on producing is beyond me.
To all parents out there: stay cool!
To all the students: well, stay cool as well!

Established Member
yeah getting mine next thursday, im bricking it but I think I did well :)
ill let you know how I got on

krus_aragon

Established Member
So how do they determine how well you did?

In England and Wales:
For GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education) employers or colleges usually look for grades at C or above, (they range from G-A*) often asking specifically for English and Maths.

With A Levels (grades E-A) universities are 'encouraged' to use a points scheme, that allows the A Level to be compared with various vocational and alternative qualifications. Those studying A Levels will usually study at least 3, thus some universities still ask for "two As and a B", or "480 points, with at least a B in Chemistry".

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How are they for everyone then? I managed to get 3 As! :D Off to Sheffield for me!

Daimler

Established Member
I got my A2 results today - logged on to the Edexcel website to find out at 6 o'clock sharp this morning - and woke up to good news! I'll be off to my first choice university in a few weeks - I'm still in a state of stunned disbelief, to be honest!

Congratulations to everyone else who got the grades they needed, and good luck to anyone waiting for GCSE results next week! :D

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
I got BBCC

To say I got 4 A Levels, I think thats pretty good =)

And to say the C was down at an E before June...

Stuff getting A's when I can get into uni with those!!

=D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I got BBCC

To say I got 4 A Levels, I think thats pretty good =)

And to say the C was down at an E before June...

Stuff getting A's when I can get into uni with those!!

=D

Are they A-Levels or Btec (or similar)?

devon_metro

Established Member
Quite pleased, got ABBB in my AS results, and hopefully I might be able to get A*AB for A level if I work hard.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
How are they for everyone then? I managed to get 3 As! :D Off to Sheffield for me!

Congratulations - I liked Sheffield so much I went back and did a second degree there. Cracking city, although you will find me ranting about how much better the university was in my day for providing cheap accommodation etc etc etc.

Lesjordans

I got 2 Bs and 2 Cs in my highers this year, but can't remember in which subject I got what :|

But it's off to Stirling next year (Woo, gap year :D).

Nice one what you going to do??
Needed those grades to reapply for Dentistry 2010, so dreading UCAS all over again!

Established Member
Nice one what you going to do??
Needed those grades to reapply for Dentistry 2010, so dreading UCAS all over again!

Going to do Environmental Science :D
Can't wait to move into the halls there for the first year.

I really needed 2 Bs and a C this year to be able to get into Stirling, cos i screwed up my Highers last year and got a C, a D and a U, and a C in Int 2 English, but it turned out at the start of this year that I have a proplem with processing information and a crap memory (which explains why, after 10 years of trying, I found it impossible to learn French, and just scraped through it a couple of years ago, before giving up :lol:). Thankfully, with some extra tuition and loads of work, I managed to get what I need, but I'm glad I won't have to do Highers again.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Only in the first year of my GCSEs (Going into Final year now), So only had some results! A Phy, B Bio, C Chem and B Maths...

mbonwick

Established Member
Thought I'd posted my results...obviously not!

(This is GCSEs)
6 A*s
4 As
1 C
1 D (FSMQ Maths - 1/2 an AS level, worth 40 UCAS points for grade A)

thefab444

Established Member
I got a D in FSMQ Maths as well, Graphical something or other.

For proper GCSEs:

1 A*
13 A

(and 1 C from 2007)

Nice and simple.

but it turned out at the start of this year that I have a proplem with processing information and a crap memory (which explains why, after 10 years of trying, I found it impossible to learn French, and just scraped through it a couple of years ago, before giving up :lol:)

Right, that's it, your turn for a memory and CPU upgrade, I want to see you sharp 9 AM tomorrow morning, might as well give you a new motherboard and full refurbishment while we're at it...

Status
Not open for further replies.