• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A little rant about everyday life on rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

People, I'm going to leave a rant here, which may be somewhat inappropriate to the theme, but it's something very particular that I hate about trains.

You know when you're on the platform waiting for the train, minding your own business, when a girl shows up and chooses to wait for the train in the same small space of the platform where you are standing. She even gets to the same car you got in, though you made a random pick.

Here begins the true nuisance! That young girl stands there alone, very silent. While you're randomly looking around in the carriage, when you glance past the place where that girl is, you notice how she has her eyes set on you. She keeps looking at you frequently, crossing her eyes with yours more often than a Circle Line train crosses with other stock during their journey. You start to get nervous and unconfortable.

Oddly enough, she gets up and prepares to leave the train in the same station you're getting to. She even goes to the SAME door you're going.

And, to finish, the first thing this girl does when leaving the train is going straight to a guy on the platform and give him a kiss, right in the face.

For these women I have a sincere suggestion: If you already have a boyfriend, for God's sake , STOP LOOKING CONSTANTLY TO OTHER LADS ON THE TRAIN.

Thank you for your attention.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Have you checked to see if she writes about you in the Rush Hour Crush section of the Metro? ;)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The OP is from Portugal - maybe it is normal there!?

Stare at a girl on the train here and you'll get knifed...

Clip

Established Member
And, to finish, the first thing this girl does when leaving the train is going straight to a guy on the platform and give him a kiss, right in the face.

For these women I have a sincere suggestion: If you already have a boyfriend, for God's sake , STOP LOOKING CONSTANTLY TO OTHER LADS ON THE TRAIN.

Thank you for your attention.

I dont think thats right at all. Are we not allowed to look at the other sex now even if we have partners? That would be odd indeed.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Have you ever considered that it may be a reassurance thing? A person travelling on their own sub-consciously attaches themselves to a stranger for the duration of their travel who looks nice and looks to them not the sort to cause trouble & grief?

I've had it before, doesn't mean they want anything other than maybe a chat or brief companionship for the duration of their journey.

talltim

Established Member
did someone draw some glasses on your face while you were asleep?

Emyr

she has her eyes set on you. She keeps looking at you frequently, crossing her eyes with yours more often than a Circle Line train crosses with other stock during their journey. You start to get nervous and unconfortable.

At a subconscious level, once a differentiation is recognised between an entity and the rest of the scenario, the mind will generate a need to check whether that entity
  • Has consistent state
  • Is becoming more notable
  • Is becoming less notable

If you were driving and you noticed a car somewhere in the string behind you was positioning itself further to the right than the others, you'd recognise the correlation between the positioning and a future attempt to overtake or turn. After noticing that vehicle, you'd be checking your mirrors more often to see if the driver was consistently "driving wide" (monitoring for an overtake, or just exploiting the better forward view) or repeatedly "nudging wide" (inexperienced or erratic driver who will potentially misread the situation and attempt a high-risk or dangerous overtake). You'll notice if the driver "calms down" and falls back in line with the stream of if the behaviour intensifies and culminates in a manouver.

It's possible she was absent-mindedly gazing at you and letting her mind wander, but once your eyes had met you would both have become a significant entity in each other's perception of the surroundings.

My speculation:
  • She's previously felt vulnerable travelling alone
  • She's noticed you before, and you've always seemed to be a normal trustworthy passenger
  • You probably come across as a shy but amiable person
  • If you initiate a conversation when you next share a platform, you'll probably become "train-buddies"
  • We don't know the state of her relationship.
  • If they're very happy together, you probably wouldn't become the victim of a paranoid boyfriend
  • If it's on the rocks, some positive social interaction will help her maintain a good baseline of what decent human beings are like

You should do this more often.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I dont think thats right at all. Are we not allowed to look at the other sex now even if we have partners? That would be odd indeed.

Agreed. That having been said I work with someone whos a bit of a flirt when it comes to men and will chat up and sleap with almost anything, regardless of current relationship so can see why it may be an issue.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you ever considered that it may be a reassurance thing? A person travelling on their own sub-consciously attaches themselves to a stranger for the duration of their travel who looks nice and looks to them not the sort to cause trouble & grief?

I've had it before, doesn't mean they want anything other than maybe a chat or brief companionship for the duration of their journey.

This has happened to me, both with younger girls and seniors and once even when my Wife has been with me. Most recent instance was on the S and C working that leavs Leeds after 18:00 and is wedged full till Skipton but oearly empty after Settle and 2 young lasses whod been visiting Leeds Uni and were traveling back to Carlisle joined my table in the nearly empty front coach for the loanly run in the dark through the hills as they were genuinely a bit scared.↲

hassaanhc

Established Member
Agreed. That having been said I work with someone whos a bit of a flirt when it comes to men and will chat up and sleap with almost anything, regardless of current relationship so can see why it may be an issue.

You've described my mate there, he's been in a relationship for 2 years yet he tries it on with every other girl he sees, plus he can't go 2 minutes without commenting on the appearance of a girl. I've banned him from doing it so often when I'm with him :P. He even does this in front of his girlfriend and then wonders why she doesn't trust him :roll:. Textbook definition of a "player" :lol:
A sexually frustrated trainspotter, who would have thought it? :D

No comment :( :P (no I'm not a proper "trainspotter" at all :) ;))

Kenni

What really annoys me is when people are travelling on the train and get up and stand at the door 3 weeks before the train is due to stop at their stop. Just ******* wait!

Jones

1st World problems eh.

Is your wallet too small for your money and your diamond shoes are too tight?
:D

jon0844

Veteran Member
What really annoys me is when people are travelling on the train and get up and stand at the door 3 weeks before the train is due to stop at their stop. Just ******* wait!

They're probably the same people that pull out and drive in lane two of a dual carriageway because they want to turn right in about 20 miles, and then decide that they better take it slow and drive well below the speed limit.

Nym

Established Member
I must get on the wrong trains...... (either that or I'm ugly)

Perhaps, I seem to keep getting on 'the wrong trains' and 'the wrong buses' too, only ever once had a cute guy look nicely at me on the bus, and this was so long ago it was on Oxford Road in Manchester(!).

A sexually frustrated trainspotter, who would have thought it? :D

Never would have thought that...

Oh, I'm definitely allowed to look. But I have a partner with a much more pragmatic approach to certain aspects of relationships than many others I am aware of, especially so for males involved with the opposite sex.

With relation to the actual topic, I'll echo others in that it would likely be that she gravitates to a point of 'feeling safe' or not wanting to be lonely. Even if no direct human contact is involved, the old pack mentality still continues that in order to survive one should be in higher numbers, or close to the pack alpha, perhaps the OP should see this as a compliment to his masculinity?

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
I actually met one of my good friends on my daily commute once, in a similar situation. She got on one day and we sort of sat on opposite sides of the carriage but kept catching each other's eyes and giving wry smiles. It was genuinely like something from a cheesy movie. We eventually realised what days, times and where we commuted to or from and the looks and smiles have turned into a great friendship.

My friends all cringe when they hear the story, but I find it quite amusing.

12CSVT

Established Member

I don't see why is this should be a problem. Some people might need to make a sharp exit when they reach their destination.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)

On trains from Nottingham arriving into New Street, most people seem to get up and head to the doors around Proof House Junction, sometimes a little earlier. They then just all stand around for ages whilst we progress past each signal slowly.

Doesn't annoy me though, just amuses me. I stay sat down for a further few minutes and stand up as the platform comes into sight :)

miss_stoat

This thread has made me laugh :D

I am terrified of the Tube, particularly the Central Line, and I will take whatever route I can to avoid it. However, on the occasions I do use it I will step on the carriage, look around for someone I think looks like they'll be strong and capable in an emergency and gravitate towards them - its usually a man.

It's also the reason I will be in the first carriage any Tube train - as the person MOST capable will be the driver :) (All other trains I'll usually head for wherever is the quietest, particularly on the commute)

So I agree that the OP should take this as a sign of his 'manliness'

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't see why is this should be a problem. Some people might need to make a sharp exit when they reach their destination.
I usually stay seated for as long as I possibly can, but occasionally I'm keen to be off quickly - when travelling back from signalling school in Leeds every Friday afternoon, I could save a good twenty minutes by going for a +2 connection at Nottingham rather than a 'legal' connection at Sheffield (and not lose too much if it went wrong). I made it on all but two occasions - but only by standing from around Radford Jn (when other passengers started stirring) to be first off and straight across the island platform. Judging by the amount of faffing that usually took place behind me, I'd have had no chance if I'd stayed in my seat for any longer!

Giugiaro

I don't know if this is targeted towards local trains or all in general, but here in my place things tend to be the other way around.

People, usually those who travel occasionaly by train, have a tendency to wait until the train is in the station or just after it came to an halt.

This is highly dangerous specially on Intercity trains, where boarding and getting off the train is not easy on low platforms and the train can depart without warning, as I've witnessed in this situation:

CP 5600 by Giacomo Giugiaro, on Flickr

When I took a photo of this train in particular, a women was dragged along with the train through a couple of meters, before she finally fell off the car. The group she was in only stood up when the train stopped at the station and, when she started unloading her luggage from the car, the station master had already given permission for the train to depart.

When the train had passed the station and I could cross the railway back to the platform, I started hearing people yelling loudly and what was the surprise when I saw the women, laying down unconscious on the platform, covered on blood... :shock:

t o m

Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the rest of the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.