• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

a little trip From Wigan Wallgate to Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

we get to WGW at 16:20 in perfect time for the 16:44 service to Alderly Edge at this time we are the only ones on the platform (me and mum) about 2 minutes later this man comes onto the platform he was walking right on the edge which worried my mum who said she was going to see a member of staff but i persuade her not too as he has sat down on a bench
then more people start arriving for the only East bound train of the hour

The Train that arrives 1 minute late is a 150 (reigional railways livery) and we board and leave the train is now running 2 minutes down we call at Hindley And at West Houghton a Man with a bike gets on an decides to block A1 and A2 doors until Salford Cresent which he has to move his bike so he blocks B1 and B2 Doors He Gets off at Deansgate Where i Think Have People got no comman sense? obviously not We then depart and carry onto oxford road where a few people get off and on then we depart to piccadilly where we arrive on platform 13 and my mum ask when the next train to Huddersfield is - the 17:38 to Newcastle departing from platform 3 so we go up the esculators and over the bride where i notice a Pendolino departing from platform 5 and when we get to platform 3 i see 158814 is our train and a 142 and 158800 on platform 4 we board then train which i must add was very busy for a sunday evening we depart on time

we pass through Guide Bridge very slowly and then at the sidings near there i see the network rail stoneblowing train which ive never heard of thats it until Huddersfield where i see two 158s coupled together at the sidings by platform 8

end of report

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

TPE said:
yorkie said:
TPE said:
we pass through Guide Bridge very slowly
At the line speed of 15mph by any chance? ;)

oh i didnt know that was the line speed :oops:

Its the curve isn't it, the reason for the 15mph limit. Its very tight, around 90 degrees I guess, complete with checkrail. Obviously since it wasn't designed to be part of the main intercity route across the Pennines just a link between the L&Y and MS&LR (forerunner of the GCR). Just shows they took the wrong route ;)

tramboy

Yup, it's the curve round the yard..don't knock the TPEX route though, IMO it's one of the most scenic mainlines!

Dave

Nick

But its not really a mainline its bits and bobs of trunk routes connected via junctions.

Nick

Simming said:
Its one of the Mainlines

Theres MML, ECML, WCML, GWML, XC, Anglia, And TP

No, XC is neither a mainline. TPE route is the 'only' route across the pennines and as such is marketed as an intercity service (though before First it was never referred to as an IC main route). As I have said it used part of the LNWR mainline from Piccadilly to Ardwick Jcn, then Ardwick Jcn to Guide Bridge Jcn is part of the GCR main line, From then to I can't remember where is L&Y link metals.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly TransPennine has been neglected for decades. That continues to this day.

We do not need the expensive route-specific heavy track-damaging Disastros that have been ordered, with their slightly higher line speed that is only useable north of Church Fenton and only really of any use for trains that go to Newcastle and don't get routed on the slow lines. :roll:

No, instead we need the money that's being wasted on those trains to be spent on improving junctions like Guide Bridge!

Why have a brand new 100mph train when you're limited to 15mph? :roll: :cry:

I can get to London quicker than Warrington! Newcastle quicker than Manchester, and so on!

Nick

To be fair, with the growing congestion on the routes set to get worse with the unDesirables. Perhaps its time to asses re-opening the line to Penistone (perhaps here it could coennect up to Huddersfield) or the Woodhead route could continue toward Sheffield where it could surely be linked into the Midland lines at a fairly cheap cost. Oh no, its not on the West Coast, can't do it :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are various reasons why Woodhead would be extremely difficult to make workable, including the fact that via Penistone takes ages! It's only useable if you re-open Penistone-Sheffield direct, but you have the problem of routeing trains into the current Sheffield (ex- Sheffield Midland) station rather than the now demolished Sheffield Victoria.

Plus Guide-bridge to Manchester is only double track and to make it quad track would cost a fortune as the lines were slewed, OHLE gantries in the way etc.

Ben

i dont see the point of spending moey on crap trains when you could upgrade the line and still use the 158s

AlexS

Established Member
Not to mention all the various pipes and ables routed through the Woodhead tunnel, plus some of the demolished infrastructure, where a pair of 76s took half a station out in the last week of service, so it was never replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.