• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A loft based N Gauge layout that never leaves home (some photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy R. A.

Thanks. You seem to have worked very fast to get to this in 2/3 years.
Out of interest, how do you access the fiddle yards?

The layout was 2 -3 years in the planning stage, it took about seven more years to get it (almost) finished.

The Fiddle Yards were made first, wired and fully tested using all new track and points. Each track section has at least two pairs of track feeds in case of a possible loose wire. The backscene boards are all removeable, being fitted with flatpack furniture brackets so they just slot into place. The front scenery has been engineered with strategic lift out sections so you can remove them and lean on the bare baseboard if you need to. Fortunately, apart from one or two minor derailments the careful tracklaying and testing at the beginning has proved to be well worth the effort.
0022.JPG
To avoid having to work under the lowest part of the loft roof I made the Fiddle Yard boards at the front of the layout, being able to turn them over to do the initial wiring into poly block terminals for final wiring. The completed boards were 'rolled' into place for fixing, just leaving some small sections of track with sliding rail joiners to connect the lines. Point motors can be accessed from underneath if needed. So far no problems.

SC2.JPG
SC5.JPG
SC6.JPG
0082 Depot Board south 2.JPG

This shows some of the backscene support brackets. The Peco point motors at this end of the Yards are more easily accessed as the boards are narrower at the loft hatch end, and are fixed into the points as the points can be removed more easily from above.

BUSY1.JPG
BDSY1.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
View attachment 73815
trainspotting-cat-39-jpg.73815

The Assistant !

"Apologies for the delay to services - we have a trespasser on the tracks!"

I can only echo the other comments - a very good layout, which I assume provides hours of entertainment, particularly in these difficult times.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Peter Kelford

Great photos with the steam stock. Amazingly, the steam makeover has worked without looking 'wrong' or out of place.

Andy R. A.

Some more pictures, plus some of the extra time on hand has given me a chance to test out a £13.98 Mini-cam to survey the layout from ground level

Early liveried 86 races south through Harrow.
3265.JPG

Looking south through Harrow.
3275.JPG

Super diesel power on a northbound Van train as it exits Linslade Tunnel.
3332.JPG

A lone 24 heads a northbound freight at Watford.
3333.JPG

The Widnes to North Wembley BOC Tankers pass Headstone Lane.
3343.JPG

The Kings Cross to Tring Cement Empties approaches Harrow, as a pair of 105 DMUs arrive from Stanmore Village.
3352.JPG

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent photo's and modelling. Those full-length trains do look impressive. Are they helix's in the tunnels, where the film goes dark? Any chance you could take a pic of it further out so we can see how it all fits together a bit better please? *Edit; ignore that last comment, I've just seen some pics like that on the first page of this thread :)

Andy R. A.

Are they helix's in the tunnels, where the film goes dark?

The dark sections are in the un-converted sections of the loft, and the tracks cross on three levels. The Watford DC Lines dive under all the others on a 1 in 30 gradient down and up. The Main Lines cross each other where a gradient of 1 in 70 has been used.

Where the tracks cross each other. Although the decking is removed from the upper level for photographic purposes I forgot to replace it, and the trains ran across it for several days with no ill effects, and I never did replace the deck. The Flexi-track is on an 'S' curve, which seems to add strength. Had a look at the trains passing over it and the track hardly moves when stuff runs over it !
0062.JPG

The tracks in this part of the loft have now been enclosed in a fully insulated 'box' to protect it from the temperature extremes, mostly the cold in winter. The tops are designed to lift off in sections should the need arise. They do produce the blackness on the video very well being totally enclosed.

Loft Tunnels 1.JPG

Iskra

Established Member
Wow, you've clearly put a lot of thought and work into the infrastructure of the layout! Thanks for the explanation.

MotCO

Established Member

That's an impressive layout. The only criticism is that the bus station is too close to the railway - it doesn't happen like that in real life :) :)

Andy R. A.

A few photos taken during the last month or so

3951.JPG
An 84 hauled class 3 Parcels swings round the curve at Linslade heading south.

3945.JPG
A '501 moment' outside the Box at Watford.

3936.JPG
1L10 the Bullion Special heads north at Linslade.

3926.JPG
A green class 40 passes the Depot at Watford on a southbound freight.

3908.JPG
A 25 slogs north at Harrow on a freight working.3895.JPG

A northbound Express exits the Tunnels at Linslade.

Deepgreen

Established Member
This is simply a work of art - very fine work. I haven't modelled in N gauge, but I've always thought the unavoidable coarseness of the track and pointwork might be visually disguised by spraying it darker overall. It's surprising how dark real track and ballast actually is unless it's freshly-laid. It also helps to have the track and the points in a uniform colour/tone to make the whole track flow seamlessly. I would also 'dirty' the grass and other surfaces - basically make everything more drab! This is just my take on it and may seem picky in the face of such a fine piece of work. I can only marvel at the detail and the variety/quantity of stock, as well as the great achievement of such a selection of scratch-built items - including the Hastings unit?

Well done, sir (and I admire your bravery in having your cat among a load of delicate moving targets!).

nlogax

Established Member
Can't believe I didn't notice this thread before. Genuinely amazed by this layout. The 1970s atmosphere coming from those pictures is intoxicating, and all in N-gauge too! The red tube stock adds even more to this.. and as for the control desk, it's a thing of sci-fi beauty. Incredible work, @Andy R. A !!

Fyldeboy

Just getting the formative thoughts about putting together a West of England N gauge dated around privatisation "Bristol Victoria" or "Bristol Brunel". Due to the space I have, we are only talking about 8' x 4'. Then I look at this - meh, how can my puny efforts ever compare :'(

I'm absolutely amazed at the realism you have created.

deltic

Established Member
An amazing layout - love the Manchester Pullman - are the services based on an actual working timetable or your own creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.