• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Long Weekend With 37s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drimnagh Road

The IMF wouldn't be happy to hear the amount of money that I will probably end up spending on the weekend of Feb 11-Feb 14, and I will probably be taxed out of it in December's budget, but to hell with it I am making plans for this starting tonight...

I'm doing Chingfinders Golloway Galloper tour with DRS 37s on Saturday 12th,
http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/tour-calendar-reader/events/the-galloway-galloper.html

I was looking at an interesting way to get over, and was thinking of getting to London and then travelling overnight on the sleepers. But, a chance check onto Spitfire Tours revealed a much better way North on Friday....

Well, how about all the way from Carmarthen-Edinburgh with West Coast 37s....
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Six Nations Special.htm

Northbound on Friday with 37s, Saturday a jolly around South West Scotland with 37s, a day of rest and pub scratching in Edinburgh on Sunday, and back South with 37s on Monday.

Yes please!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

The IMF wouldn't be happy to hear the amount of money that I will probably end up spending on the weekend of Feb 11-Feb 14, and I will probably be taxed out of it in December's budget, but to hell with it I am making plans for this starting tonight...

I'm doing Chingfinders Golloway Galloper tour with DRS 37s on Saturday 12th,
http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/tour-calendar-reader/events/the-galloway-galloper.html

I was looking at an interesting way to get over, and was thinking of getting to London and then travelling overnight on the sleepers. But, a chance check onto Spitfire Tours revealed a much better way North on Friday....

Well, how about all the way from Carmarthen-Edinburgh with West Coast 37s....
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Six Nations Special.htm

Northbound on Friday with 37s, Saturday a jolly around South West Scotland with 37s, a day of rest and pub scratching in Edinburgh on Sunday, and back South with 37s on Monday.

Yes please!

Looks like I'll be doing the Spitfire Charter from Bridgend - Scotland, should be nice seeing you once again sir ;P and may have to look into the Pathfinder one as I'm up there anyway :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Don't forget that Spitfire also have provisional trips using DRS traction on February 12th and 13th - your Sunday may not end up being a day of rest!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have fun :)

The Pathfinder tour looks a bit like a Buffer Puffer but with an emphasis on more rural, than suburban, routes.

I'd like to know more about this license Spitfire have for a buffet. I'm not sure where they got the license from or how much they paid, but I was under the impression a license wasn't required for buffet cars on trains!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The Pathfinder tour looks a bit like a Buffer Puffer but with an emphasis on more rural, than suburban, routes.

I'd like to know more about this license Spitfire have for a buffet. I'm not sure where they got the license from or how much they paid, but I was under the impression a license wasn't required for buffet cars on trains!

I think anywhere selling alcohol will have a license to.

theblackwatch

Established Member

The same place as all the TOC's who announce having 'a fully licensed buffet car' on board? :idea:

Drimnagh Road

Don't forget that Spitfire also have provisional trips using DRS traction on February 12th and 13th - your Sunday may not end up being a day of rest!

Interesting! As an aside, I note that the "Rug-ex" is down for 4x 37s. I assume this means two will work up and perhaps a different two back, or is there a change en-route. A silly question but what is the range of a 37 before needing re-fueling?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Interesting! As an aside, I note that the "Rug-ex" is down for 4x 37s. I assume this means two will work up and perhaps a different two back, or is there a change en-route. A silly question but what is the range of a 37 before needing re-fueling?

A pair of 37/5s, which have extended fuel tanks, used to be able to just manage the Burngullow-Irvine "silver bullet" china clay tanks on a single tank of fuel, so about whatever that mileage is! That'll be about 800 miles or so? The Wales to Edinburgh run should be fine on a single tank of fuel.

A very thoughtfully laid out programme of 37 tours for Valentine's weekend it seems. How many disgruntled female partners will that be causing then?

Considering the Wales-Edinburgh trip is principally a "Rug-ex", I'd be slightly concerned about the combining together of a train of rowdy, possibly drunk, rugby fans and rowdy, possibly drunk, gricers...

Last edited:

Drimnagh Road

Considering the Wales-Edinburgh trip is principally a "Rug-ex", I'd be slightly concerned about the combining together of a train of rowdy, possibly drunk, rugby fans and rowdy, possibly drunk, gricers...

Not sure how Rugby is viewed in the UK, but in Ireland it is seen as an elite sport, associated with the upper class. Certainly you wouldn't see the hooligasm at events that is associated with domestic football. Wine Bars and top restaurants are the order of the day before and after rugby events rather than rioting with rival fans and throwing cans at police.

If it is the same with Rugby in the UK, I wouldn't be worried about fans getting boozed up on a ten hour train trip, it would just be interesting to see what the elites think of the West Coast mk1s.

"Oh my God like, these trains are like...so old, I must get Daddy to drive me in future like, let me put my towel on the seat to sit on top off" would be the attitude from Irish Rubgy supporters.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
A very thoughtfully laid out programme of 37 tours for Valentine's weekend it seems. How many disgruntled female partners will that be causing then?

Given that the tours centre around the rugby match, I don't think the finger of blame with regard to choice of dates can be pointed at either Spitfire or Pathfinder! Perhaps the answer is take the Mrs along, leave her in Edinburgh to go shopping (although that could be fatal...) whilst Mr goes out on the tour. Romantic Burger King together when you get back! :lol:

Drimnagh Road

This could work out to one's advantage if planned properly. Hey love, fancy a weekend in Edinburgh shopping?

37s up on the Friday, two normal days doing the romantic stuff in Edinburgh, and 37s back home on Monday.

Perfect compromise!

As an aside, I imagine accommodation will be ching that weekend.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Given that the tours centre around the rugby match, I don't think the finger of blame with regard to choice of dates can be pointed at either Spitfire or Pathfinder! Perhaps the answer is take the Mrs along, leave her in Edinburgh to go shopping (although that could be fatal...) whilst Mr goes out on the tour. Romantic Burger King together when you get back! :lol:

Ah, clever plan to keep the other half entertained as well!
Not sure how Rugby is viewed in the UK, but in Ireland it is seen as an elite sport, associated with the upper class. Certainly you wouldn't see the hooligasm at events that is associated with domestic football. Wine Bars and top restaurants are the order of the day before and after rugby events rather than rioting with rival fans and throwing cans at police.
It is true that I tend to follow the rule that "Football is a gentleman's game played (and followed) by thugs, and rugby is a thug's game played (and followed) by gentlemen". I've never known rugby fans in the UK to be as well heeled as the Irish ones apparently are though!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think anywhere selling alcohol will have a license to.
I'm informed that there is no license required to sell alcohol on board trains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Probably nothing to worry about (there would need to be far more concern if it was rowdy students moaning at one day if they earn over £21k pa they may have to repay us some money!;)) I caught several of the trains to Cardiff operated by 47s (and, in one case, a 37) for rugby/football events and didn't encounter any problems.

metrocammel

I'm informed that there is no license required to sell alcohol on board trains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Correct. However, as the layman doesn't know a license isn't required for trains, it's easier to say 'licensed bar' than 'a bar serving alcoholic beverages...'

From what I've ascertained, the lack of licensing is due the fact most train serving alcohol (ie, long distance trains) are never under one authorities' jurisdiction for a prolonged period - and as there's no system for a 'national' license, no to mention varying rules in Scotland, it'd be practically impossible to introduce.

Regarding sports events, like most franchised TOCs, tour organisers adopt a dry-policy (as do most supporters clubs). If, however, a risk assessment is carried out, and one is confident that any problems can be mitigated immediately, there's nothing to stop alcohol being served - other than the train supplier stating there's to be no intoxicating beverages sold. A degree of common sense is required here. Some might argue that alcohol shouldn't be served on a train full of bashers- but every tour I've operated (plus dozen with other operators), I have never seen any out of hand behaviour- just merely merry banter.

Last edited:

Drimnagh Road

The situation in Ireland is the same, no licence required. A train is the only place one can buy alcohol on Good Friday.

The RPSI used to run a good Friday special and it was a serious money maker from drink sales but that got cancelled a few years ago - nothing whatsoever to do with trouble on the train - but more local people at the destination coming down during the layover and trying to get to the bar. One year at Mullingar, about 200 people were waiting for the train to arrive and all sort of trouble ensured.

With regards to normal Irish Rail trains, well with cans been sold for €6 each on-board, nobody in their right mind goes off on the train on Good Friday for a booze up. If you do want to go off on a train on Good Friday for a spin, pop into Lidls the night before and buy 6 cans for 6 euro.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you were spot on.

Saturday: Glasgow-Edinburgh-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Glasgow
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future%20tours2.htm#The%20Clansman

Sunday: Glasgow Central-Queen Street-Fort William and return.
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future%20tours2.htm#The%20West%20Highlander%20III

PS Does anybody else think the double post prevention system makes things look a bit sloppy? Just a comment.

Last edited:

TGVDUDE

The situation in Ireland is the same, no licence required. A train is the only place one can buy alcohol on Good Friday.

The RPSI used to run a good Friday special and it was a serious money maker from drink sales but that got cancelled a few years ago - nothing whatsoever to do with trouble on the train - but more local people at the destination coming down during the layover and trying to get to the bar. One year at Mullingar, about 200 people were waiting for the train to arrive and all sort of trouble ensured.

With regards to normal Irish Rail trains, well with cans been sold for €6 each on-board, nobody in their right mind goes off on the train on Good Friday for a booze up. If you do want to go off on a train on Good Friday for a spin, pop into Lidls the night before and buy 6 cans for 6 euro.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you were spot on.

Saturday: Glasgow-Edinburgh-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Glasgow
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future%20tours2.htm#The%20Clansman

Sunday: Glasgow Central-Queen Street-Fort William and return.
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future%20tours2.htm#The%20West%20Highlander%20III

PS Does anybody else think the double post prevention system makes things look a bit sloppy? Just a comment.

quite fancy the Fort William tour, shame you have to book the Inverness trip to get a discount though :/

scotsman

Established Member

If it is the same with Rugby in the UK, I wouldn't be worried about fans getting boozed up on a ten hour train trip, it would just be interesting to see what the elites think of the West Coast mk1s.

"Oh my God like, these trains are like...so old, I must get Daddy to drive me in future like, let me put my towel on the seat to sit on top off" would be the attitude from Irish Rubgy supporters.

Rugby is played by mainly upper class ex-private school lads. The fans are from all over, although they all sit together, and disturbances are unheard of. Trains to rugby matches in Scotland often feature plenty of signing 'Flower of Scotland' and bagpipe playing!

TGVDUDE

planning on doing Spitfire's six nations special - Edinburgh, really fancy the Fort William Trip, but they provide a discount for all 3 day's, really fancy the Saturday for a look around Edinburgh or something, or maybe phot the 37 tours if the city centre is busy :L

sprinterguy

Established Member
Spitfire aren't having much luck with their tractor tours at the moment are they?

I've got my fingers crossed that their Birmingham-Carlisle DRS traction tour (with a bit of tractor haulage) goes ahead on February 19th!

theblackwatch

Established Member
A decent looking 37 tour from Pathfinder coming up on May 28th doing some rare branches in the south west.

I T S

I can see chingfinders tour on the Saturday filling with the trade off the spitroast tour..... time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.