• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Nation in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

No not Luxembourg or Lichtenstein - much too easy!

Just had to do a quick visa run from Bangkok to Singapore. 2 nights in the City state and wondering what to do other than shop for things I don't know but a visit to the local MRT close to my hotel gave me the idea of covering the entire Island MRT and LRT and see how I'd get on. Bought my ticket at 9:00am at Orchard Station for $20 Singapore. About 10.31 Pounds UK. Got myself a handy map and rather than plan the journey I just got on a train and rode from one end of a line to the other and then back track to cover another line. Also covered are the 3 newish LRT lines but one is presently incomplete. Trains are driverless and it is possible to get a seat at the front of the trains and have a good view of the lines and when above ground to have a look at the topography of the island. I completed all available lines by 7:00pm not bad I think as I didn't plan the journey. All stations are fully accessible to all, platforms level with trains so wheelchairs can roll on or off and elevators at all stations. There are plans to expand the system. The trains on the Downtown line already include maps for the expansion to Expo.

It was fun travelling from Redhill to Dover in 7 minutes. At a couple of Interchanges there is a need to walk, but nothing like you have to walk in some London Underground stations. The extra bonus is that you can hand back your ticket at the end of the day and get $10 Singapore in return. There are options for 1 day, 2 day, and 3 day tickets. Each type of ticket will give you a $10 refund. You can also use the tickets on buses, and Fast Forward, Night Rider and Nite Owl services.

OK not as large as the London Underground but worth while and the cost. There are plans to expand the system too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very different! Any photos, for those of us very much aware of what it all looks like?

So they give you money back if you return your ticket, even if used? That sounds a bit of a weird idea!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They sound a bit like the DLR stuff then!

Tech: Maybe it's so they can reuse the tickets (if they have a way of wiping what's already on them) but it does seem strange, especially for $10!

Requeststop

They sound a bit like the DLR stuff then!

Tech: Maybe it's so they can reuse the tickets (if they have a way of wiping what's already on them) but it does seem strange, especially for $10!

The LRT are definitely just like the DLR "stuff". Single or Double cars. The MRT are much longer with at least six cars.

The Singapore system of handing back tickets is a good one. I think that you get 10c back if you return the plastic single ride tickets. For the tourist tickets you get the $10 Singapore if you return the daily, 2 day and 3 day tickets within a week. It is a wonderful bargain, including all the bus services as well as MTR and LRT. I understand that nearly 6.5 million journeys are made on the nations bus and rail system daily.

By the way, no one seems to have any complaints that the trains are driverless - the trains are spotlessly clean as are the stations and indeed the nation. They are almost all to time. Automated messages are broadcast if the trains should come to a stop outside a station.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Driverless metro, sounds a bit like the Vancouver Metro system.

Singapore is one of the areas I want to visit in the next 10 years

Kite159

Veteran Member
Shoot! How could I say DLR and forget about the Canada line (and Millennium and Expo). Have you been on the Vancouver metro?

Yep, I made sure I did the metro when I had an overnight stay in Vancouver when I had a holiday in Canada a few years ago

DJ737

G'day

I going do Singapore as well in October, got flights on Scoot for A$169 (about £91) each way from Melbourne, not bad for a seven and a half hours each way on a 787, arrive SIN Saturday arvo, dep SIN 0040 Mon morning, giving me all day Sunday in Singapore. :D

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Requeststop

G'day

I going do Singapore as well in October, got flights on Scoot for A$169 (about £91) each way from Melbourne, not bad for a seven and a half hours each way on a 787, arrive SIN Saturday arvo, dep SIN 0040 Mon morning, giving me all day Sunday in Singapore. :D

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Enjoy. At least you can start your tour at the end of one line at the airport, and you'll have time to plan your tour ahead of time. I decided to do my tour off the cuff as it were. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.