• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A New Station Called !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpus63

Standing on the platform at Welshpool on occasions over the past couple of weeks I have heard the following announcement for the Aberystwyth train... "..calling at Newtown, Caersws, Machynlleth, Dovey Junction, Borth, Exclamation Mark Bow and Aberystwyth." There is a recently opened station at Bow Street next to which a disgruntled householder has painted, on the gable end, "Welcome to Hell". Perhaps he has found a way to sabotage the automatic announcements now too. I wanted to post a clip of this but the computer said no.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
There was a thread about the new station a while ago. The disgruntled resident already had a busy road and some sort of factory nearby. Perhaps he dislikes the noise made by trains stopping and starting instead of just gliding by.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can understand someone being upset about a development near their home that they dislike, but "Hell" is a ridiculous hyperbole.
What does the householder think will have a bigger negative impact on property values... A nearby railway station or a lunatic neighbour who graffitis their own house? I bet they're a "Sovereign Citizen" type... :rolleyes:

Gloster

Established Member
The report says that he lives alone, but he claims that the station ‘impinges on his family’s privacy‘. (The Mirror’s report includes a picture of a Eurostar crossing the Medway.)

pdeaves

Established Member
Standing on the platform at Welshpool on occasions over the past couple of weeks I have heard the following announcement for the Aberystwyth train... "..calling at Newtown, Caersws, Machynlleth, Dovey Junction, Borth, Exclamation Mark Bow and Aberystwyth." There is a recently opened station at Bow Street next to which a disgruntled householder has painted, on the gable end, "Welcome to Hell". Perhaps he has found a way to sabotage the automatic announcements now too. I wanted to post a clip of this but the computer said no.
For clarity and my interest, did the announcement use the words 'exclamation mark'?

Ediswan

Established Member
There was a thread about the new station a while ago. The disgruntled resident already had a busy road and some sort of factory nearby. Perhaps he dislikes the noise made by trains stopping and starting instead of just gliding by.
That does appear to be a substantial part of the complaint.
Some detail here: https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/19126902.bow-street-station-neighbour-paints-welcome-hell-wall/
He said: “It is hell. At 5.15am the first train comes in and wakes me up with the beep beep of the doors and the engines.
“I may as well be sleeping on the platform. I have to deal with the PA announcements and all the noise.

Grumpus63

I can understand someone being upset about a development near their home that they dislike, but "Hell" is a ridiculous hyperbole.
What does the householder think will have a bigger negative impact on property values... A nearby railway station or a lunatic neighbour who graffitis their own house? I bet they're a "Sovereign Citizen" type... :rolleyes:

The report says that he lives alone, but he claims that the station ‘impinges on his family’s privacy‘. (The Mirror’s report includes a picture of a Eurostar crossing the Medway.)
For clarity and my interest, did the announcement use the words 'exclamation mark'?
pdeaves - yes, the announcement does use the two words "exclamation mark"...so, verbatim, "Newtown, Caersws, Machynlleth, Dovey Junction, Borth, Exclamation Mark (followed by something that sounds like Bow) and Aberystwyth."

Gareth

Established Member

Yes. "Not a very good place" would've got the point across just as effectively.

Gloster

Established Member
in the comments to one of the newspaper reports it is pointed out that the owner bought the house in December 2011, but the report into its reopening appeared the previous May. Additionally, that the station might reopen had been a serious possibility for some years.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It may be creating a personal "hell" for the person concerned. Just because you like trains doesn't mean everyone likes trains. it may destroying his or her enjoyment of thier own home or impacting on thier life in an adverse manner that they find intolerable.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
It may be creating a person "hell" for the person concerned. Just because you like trains doesn't mean everyone likes trains. it may destroying his or her enjoyment of thier own home or impacting on thier life in an adverse manner that they find intolerable.
Clearly it's the doors beeping and the PA announcements which annoy him, rather than the trains themselves, but of course they all go together.

BayPaul

Established Member
pdeaves - yes, the announcement does use the two words "exclamation mark"...so, verbatim, "Newtown, Caersws, Machynlleth, Dovey Junction, Borth, Exclamation Mark (followed by something that sounds like Bow) and Aberystwyth."
You have to wonder about the software logic that came up with that! Why on earth would it be programmed like that (i.e. what circumstances could ever be needed for it to say 'exclamation mark', rather than just leaving a pause, like it would at a comma...)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Clearly it's the doors beeping and the PA announcements which annoy him, rather than the trains themselves, but of course they all go together.
Indeed, and for which there are 2 solutions: either fit better sound insulation (which it appears from the article TfW have at least attempted to do), although of course this won't help outside. Or to buy his house off him then sell it on, as the new owners won't be able to complain about a railway station having moved in next door to them! He could, of course, sell up himself if it was truly unbearable. I suspect there's a good market now looking for a place in lovely countryside where they can work remotely but still with decent links to the outside world for the odd occasions they need to visit anybody.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It may be creating a personal "hell" for the person concerned. Just because you like trains doesn't mean everyone likes trains. it may destroying his or her enjoyment of thier own home or impacting on thier life in an adverse manner that they find intolerable.
The station was already proposed when they bought the house. If it bothers them that much they should go and live in a cave. It isn't about liking or not liking trains, it's about understanding that you can't always have things your own way because the world doesn't revolve around you. If his constitution is so weak that a bit of intermittent noise completely ruins their enjoyment of their home then frankly they've got bigger problems to address.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The station was already proposed when they bought the house. If it bothers them that much they should go and live in a cave. It isn't about liking or not liking trains, it's about understanding that you can't always have things your own way because the world doesn't revolve around you. If his constitution is so weak that a bit of intermittent noise completely ruins their enjoyment of their home then frankly they've got bigger problems to address.

You are clearly unable to deal with the point. It is their opinion that thier life is being adversely impacted just as you would be entitled to express such an opinion if a bus garage were opened outside of your house. Is this person allowed to say they know your opinion better than you do?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You are clearly unable to deal with the point. It is their opinion that thier life is being adversely impacted just as you would be entitled to express such an opinion if a bus garage were opened outside of your house. Is this person allowed to say they know your opinion better than you do?
They are entitled to their opinion and they're entitled to complain, just as I'm allowed to express an opinion on that. If a bus depot opened next door to me, and my way of complaining was to paint a slogan on my wall, then I couldn't in good conscience grumble that people weren't taking me seriously. Particularly if there were already plans for the bus depot when I bought the house.

I'm sure the noise is annoying to this person, and I do have a bit of sympathy with them for the annoyance. I just have no sympathy with how they're choosing to address the issue. Sorry.

bramling

Veteran Member

Oh dear, not another station with a disgruntled resident living on top of it!

To some extent I can see where he's coming from - his house is now a bit of a goldfish bowl, and stuff like the announcements and door open tones I would probably myself find irritating. However, it does seem to be another case of choosing to buy a house in a location where there was always the possibility of these sorts of issues occurring.

pdeaves

Established Member
At one train stopping for a minute every two hours each way, I think the resident's reaction is a bit over the top. Maybe that's why the public announcements have ! in them :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
When I visited Bow Street a few weeks ago the road was pretty much nonstop with traffic, ranging from bikes to large lorries. With the house closer to the road he probably gets more noise from the road side & the builders place next door

bramling

Veteran Member
At one train stopping for a minute every two hours each way, I think the resident's reaction is a bit over the top. Maybe that's why the public announcements have ! in them :)

Not sure what he's actually trying to achieve. The station isn't going to go anywhere, and I can't see the announcements being turned off for the benefit of one house. Drawing attention to things was probably a very silly thing to do, as who is going to want to buy a house which by the owner's own admission is "hell"?

It isn't quite clear if this is a former railway house or not, but it's was hardly in the most pleasant location even before the station rematerialised.

Perhaps a little more could have been done on the privacy front to be fair to him.

MAV39

Perhaps some modification to the station's loudspeakers could alleviate the disturbance?

I used to catch London bound trains at Billingshurst from 1995 to 2008 and remember being impressed by the directional loudspeakers which resulted in announcements for platform 1 being inaudible from platform 2 and vice versa.

Announcements were perfectly clear on the platform they were intended for.

TheSel

Not sure what he's actually trying to achieve. The station isn't going to go anywhere, and I can't see the announcements being turned off for the benefit of one house. Drawing attention to things was probably a very silly thing to do, as who is going to want to buy a house which by the owner's own admission is "hell"?
To be fair, his house is now worth a lot more than those belonging to his neighbours.

If only because his [own] house hasn't got a d*ckhead of a neighbour living next door.

uvarvu

Wonder whether he's related to the owner of one of the houses that backs onto Acton Bridge...

L401CJF

Established Member
I lived opposite Neston Station for quite a few years ( probably 300meters away) and had ATW/TfW 150s stopping twice an hour. Never really noticed as such, until they started the PRM mods. You could then hear the door opening/closing chimes which I think are far too loud. Particularly noticeable in the early morning/late night. I didnt mind (or notice) the sound of the train itself as just like the main road outside its something I got used to, but the high pitched door tones were very annoying and that was from 300meters away!

Status
Not open for further replies.