• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A particular bogie/track sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAX

Established Member
Hi there, a little technical question here ... I hope I can make it clear enough.

When a bogie runs over a rail gap or over points, one can often hear a clinging sound, sort of like little chains shaking around.
This is common on numerous types of rolling stock around the world, but it is very audible on London Underground stock.
What is this metallic ringing sound, then ? As I said, the best image I have of it is shaking chains.

Thanks to anyone who can help curious me !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
juice pots on third rail are often shimmed up with "H" shaped metal to fill the gap between pot an juice rail
if the track drops slightly and the gap increases the metal plate can "jingle " with the vibration

TRAX

Established Member
Do you have pictures of what you are referring to ? I am interested.

big all

On Moderation
have a look at a pot supporting the 3rd rail you will notice the two fingers in a "U" formation one each side to support the juice rail
the plate is perhaps 15mm bigger all round than the pot top and perhaps 15mm thick with a cut out at each end to locate between the finger
they wont be readily obvious as all that's visible is a perhaps 15x15mm square under the juice rail and to each side off the finger

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
No, it’s heard on most railways, including non-electrified and OHL-electrified.
To me it always seemed like it comes from the bogie but I’m not sure. I’ll try and find a video where it’s audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.