• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question about a ticket loophole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I'd like to find out if a loophole still exists but for obvious reasons I don't want to mention the fare in public! Can anyone help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Start a Private Conversation with a moderator or fates adviser.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I've asked Yorkie so hopefully I'll report back when I have an answer!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And the answer is no. A negative "easement" was introduced to prevent it.

Samuel88

On Moderation
And the answer is no. A negative "easement" was introduced to prevent it.
Being as the loophole has been closed I might as well mention I was asking whether a Season ticket from St Albans Abbey to London terminals was still valid from St Albans City

RJ

Established Member
I'd like to find out if a loophole still exists but for obvious reasons I don't want to mention the fare in public! Can anyone help?

Are you able to check the relevant tools? If you can't determine or find out how it's valid yourself then it's probably a better idea to leave alone anyway.

RJ

Established Member
Being as the loophole has been closed I might as well mention I was asking whether a Season ticket from St Albans Abbey to London terminals was still valid from St Albans City

That is linked to a high profile case which was covered in the media and saw the loophole promptly shut and the "favourable" public version of the Routeing Guide consigned to history. But not before generating many refunds and changeovers when word got out, says the grapevine.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it was ever valid from At Albans Abbey. It was fine from Park Street though.

There is still scope for some savings from St Albans to other locations, but not to London Terminals specifically.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We might be able to advise a suitable alternative if we know exactly where the OP needs to travel to.

Samuel88

On Moderation
We might be able to advise a suitable alternative if we know exactly where the OP needs to travel to.
I'll be traveling from St Pancras to St Albans for Six days starting on Monday. I have a Freedom Pass but because I need to be in St Albans by 8:30 AM it'll be of no use!

I was thinking of going via Watford Junction. I live in Uxbridge so I was planning of taking the Tube to Harrow on the Hill, then bus to Harrow & Wealdstone, Overground to Watford Junction and then LNWR to St Albans Abbey, at least I would then only have to pay for the Watford-St Albans portion of my journey but at the moment I'm on crutches and it's a long walk from Abbey station!

RJ

Established Member

For season tickets, I know of a few fares that undercut the St Albans to London Thameslink price but the savings vs hassle potential for a one week period doesn't really make it worth it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'll be traveling from St Pancras to St Albans for Six days starting on Monday. I have a Freedom Pass but because I need to be in St Albans by 8:30 AM it'll be of no use!

I was thinking of going via Watford Junction. I live in Uxbridge so I was planning of taking the Tube to Harrow on the Hill, then bus to Harrow & Wealdstone, Overground to Watford Junction and then LNWR to St Albans Abbey, at least I would then only have to pay for the Watford-St Albans portion of my journey but at the moment I'm on crutches and it's a long walk from Abbey station!

So your journey is Uxbridge to St Albans?

philthetube

Established Member
Catch the 724, direct service, quicker and probably cheaper, generally pretty reliable, especially in the morning, and much easier on crutches.

Samuel88

On Moderation
Catch the 724, direct service, quicker and probably cheaper, generally pretty reliable, especially in the morning, and much easier on crutches.
I had thought of that, and during the off peak times it is reliable but during the peaks I've often had the 724 turn up late, on one occasion by nearly an hour!

philthetube

Established Member
To arrive at St Albans for 08.30 I cannot see you having any real problems, going homw would be another matter, however it is probably an hour quicker than your alternatives so there is plenty of wriggle room, and the Arriva app tells you how it is running so there is no need to spend ages standing out in the cold.

Samuel88

On Moderation
To arrive at St Albans for 08.30 I cannot see you having any real problems, going homw would be another matter, however it is probably an hour quicker than your alternatives so there is plenty of wriggle room, and the Arriva app tells you how it is running so there is no need to spend ages standing out in the cold.
I might try the bus then, at least going to St Albans, coming back, I might still take the train as I've just remembered I don't need to go all the way to St Pancras, I can just change at West Hampstead.

Status
Not open for further replies.