• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question of Blue Bardic Lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanB

Good evening folks

New forum user, so apologies to the site admins if I've inadvertently posted this in the wrong forum - though I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this in what I think is becoming a "finding a needle in a haystack job!"

I'm actually a photographer by trade (currently on sabbatical leave and I have a rather keen interest in railway history/archaeology funnily enough!) and became rather enamoured by the old Bardic Lamps. For some of the things that I do, they are absolutely incredible! Focusser lamps, colour casts - even weighting down a tripod in windy conditions - they are pretty versatile pieces of kit and they're really tough and very dependable. Hence, I've built up a small collection of them.

Recently, I managed to acquire a blue bodied one and I have learnt that these ones were used in oil refineries and other potentially explosive environments. Hence - the battery compartments and the lens seals were locked out with a special D-Key so that they couldn't be opened accidentally.

I would love to get this lamp running again as it is the only lamp in my inventory that is currently inoperable. However - I'll be stuffed if I can get my hands on a D-Key to get the thing opened!

Short of getting a tool fabricated, would anyone here, by any remote chance, know of anywhere on the planet where I get a D-Key from please? Spoken to Unipart and they say they haven't got any more parts for these lamps.

ANY help would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Jonathan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That looks extremely similar! Thanks for your reply swt_passenger!
I think I just found a suitable steel tube that was a good fit, heated the end a little and bashed a flat onto it. But my torch was in good condition, I didn’t have to overcome a seizure. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.