• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

a race to ramsgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsharp

hello everyone, next year me and my brother are going on a all line rail rover , and to make it a bit more fun we are going to do a top gear style race, we both have to get from leicester to ramsgate the quickest by any means necessary. but the catch is we are not allowed to go via london which is a bit more difficult! what do you think would be the best way to go about it? thanks guys regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomsharp

london what so ever, should make it more interesting, also who ever gets there last, the other person has to send them to a location of their choice the next day so if i win am going to send him dovey junc or somewhere really remote! :-P

westcoaster

Established Member
from leicester you are looking at a journey

leicester- brum-reading- redhill - tonbridge/ashford- ramsgate.

thats the shortest i can see

Zamracene749

Just wait until he has set off.

Then catch a hst to St pancras, cross the city and arrive sufficiently early after bashing some EMUs/getting some coverage.

After all, how will he know ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
Just wait until he has set off.

Then catch a hst to St pancras, cross the city and arrive sufficiently early after bashing some EMUs/getting some coverage.

After all, how will he know ;)
Because if he has any sense, he will of looked up the quickest route? ;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
I don't get it. You're going on the train, so how is your brother going to be travelling?

one TN

I thought they were both travelling by train, but taking different routes.
But then surely they're both going to look up and take the fastest anyway? :???: So they both end up doing the same journey.

Ascot

Established Member
Humm i know your on an All Line Rover but you could get a National Express coach from somewhere outside of London to somewhere in the Southeast, then train to Ramsgate, or is it purely Rail?

Otherwise if it's just Central London Restriction get off at West Hampstead, onto the NLL off at Stratford, Docklands to Greenwich or Lewisham, South East down to Ramsgate, Change at Gillingham i think unless there is Directs.

But if it's Zonal then you can't get on a XC Brighton Train that goes via East Croydon.

Send him to Dunrobin Castle bit of a challenge and a half to get there this time of year.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I'm quite interested in this now.

Are you allowed to go through London stations if you don't actually change in London? Eg Luton to East Croydon via KX Thameslink.
Or can you not even touch the zones?
Give us more detail, and I'm sure someone will come up with something great.

westcoaster

Established Member
I'm quite interested in this now.

Are you allowed to go through London stations if you don't actually change in London? Eg Luton to East Croydon via KX Thameslink.
Or can you not even touch the zones?
Give us more detail, and I'm sure someone will come up with something great.

giz he said no part of london what so ever.

Gizmogle

Established Member
No, he just said not alllowed to go via London. Which isn't very helpful, as he could mean London terminus, in zones, cities and towns that are technically in the city of London.

westcoaster

Established Member
when you say go via london do you mean central london, or any part of london what so ever.

london what so ever, should make it more interesting, also who ever gets there last, the other person has to send them to a location of their choice the next day so if i win am going to send him dovey junc or somewhere really remote! :-P

he said london what so ever giz when i asked him any part of london?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes, I missed that. I apologize.

See, the problem is the New Street trains from Leicester are really unreliable. But I'd say try something like Leicester > Brum > Reading > Guildford > Redhill > Ashford Int. > Ramsgate.

I've not looked it up, so I don't know if it would work though.

westcoaster

Established Member
Yes, I missed that. I apologize.

See, the problem is the New Street trains from Leicester are really unreliable. But I'd say try something like Leicester > Brum > Reading > Guildford > Redhill > Ashford Int. > Ramsgate.

I've not looked it up, so I don't know if it would work though.

thats the route i gave him on the 1st page over 6 hours though,

what about, going to be longer but here we go

leicester- brum new st - walk to moor st - chiltern to bicester- walk to bicester town- reading - redhill- tunbridge- ramsgate

Gizmogle

Established Member
Alright, alright.
It depends on when exactly you do that plan as to how well it works though.
My plan for now ended up like this:

Arr|Dep
xxxx|1052 Leicester
1147|1203 Birmingham New Street
1338|1404 Reading
1447|1510 Guildford
1525|1540 Redhill
1609|1614 Tonbridge
1652|1659 Ashford International
1745|xxxx Ramsgate

westcoaster

Established Member
looking at the bigger picture, there are many more places in the country you can go by rail, from leicester to ramsgate by rail is not what i would use an all lines rover on, but then each to there own i suppose. you would find me doing a coast to coast or capital to capital kind of thing, got to love edinburgh.

Guinness

Established Member
Alright, alright.
It depends on when exactly you do that plan as to how well it works though.
My plan for now ended up like this:

Arr|Dep
xxxx|1052 Leicester
1147|1203 Birmingham New Street
1338|1404 Reading
1447|1510 Guildford
1525|1540 Redhill
1609|1614 Tonbridge
1652|1659 Ashford International
1745|xxxx Ramsgate

Don't hold your breath for that New Street connection.

Craig

Established Member
Could go via the Tilbury ferry, but that's a bit awkward if you want to avoid London.

0814 Leicester - Cambridge 1008
1043 Cambridge - Ipswich 1204
1208 Ipswich - Chelmsford 1245
1258 Chelmsford - Shenfield 1309
1314 Shenfield - Romford 1328
1342 Romford - Upminister 1350
1414 Upminister - Tilbury Town 1430
1433 Tilbury Town - Tilbury Riverside 1440 (Bus)
1445 Tilbury Riverside - Gravesend 1450 (Ferry)
1514 Gravesend - Rochester 1529
1544 Rochester - Ramsgate 1658

Status
Not open for further replies.