• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A railtour at Keighley yesterday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

At Keighley ( Leeds - Carlisle line) , late morning, I saw a steam engine puffing away. Which tour was he on or is he a permanent resident ? Was there another tour in the Doncaster area as I saw a very large crowd gathered there yesterday morning approx 10am.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnB57

At Keighley ( Leeds - Carlisle line) , late morning, I saw a steam engine puffing away. Which tour was he on or is he a permanent resident ? Was there another tour in the Doncaster area as I saw a very large crowd gathered there yesterday morning approx 10am.

Thanks.
This might be a silly question, but you are aware of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which runs preserved diesel and steam between Oxenhope and Keighley aren't you? As seen on The Railway Children etc.

The crowd in Doncaster would have been for the GBRF electric tour from Newcastle to KX and return.

General Zod

This might be a silly question, but you are aware of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which runs preserved diesel and steam between Oxenhope and Keighley aren't you? As seen on The Railway Children etc.

The crowd in Doncaster would have been for the GBRF electric tour from Newcastle to KX and return.

Pardon my ignorance John but I am not that well versed come matters of Heritage Lines and steam. Now that you've told of of that particular line I shall have to ride the steam engine and see the line proper when time permits ! I assume that it be done as a day trip from London and perhaps with a walk (with views) close to one of the stations on the line ?

Last edited:

JohnB57

Pardon my ignorance John but I am not that well versed come matters of Heritage Lines and steam. Now that you've told of of that particular line I shall have to ride the steam engine and see the line proper when time permits ! I assume that it be done as a day trip from London?
Didn't mean to sound unhelpful or sarcastic, but the KWVR is one of the oldest and most famous preserved lines so however carefully I worded it it was going to come across that way!

It's a good day out and the villages along the line are also worth seeing, in particular Haworth, famous for the Brontes of course. Easily do-able in a day from London with a change in either Leeds or Bradford.

I had a driving and firing day on the line about twenty years ago and that was very special.

General Zod

Didn't mean to sound unhelpful or sarcastic, but the KWVR is one of the oldest and most famous preserved lines so however carefully I worded it it was going to come across that way!

It's a good day out and the villages along the line are also worth seeing, in particular Haworth, famous for the Brontes of course. Easily do-able in a day from London with a change in either Leeds or Bradford.

I had a driving and firing day on the line about twenty years ago and that was very special.

Sounds great. Would ideally like to make a full day of it. Get into Leeds early as possible and spend the whole day on the line, visiting the museum and villages, a nice lunch & tea before getting back to Leeds in time for a late train to London. It really is heartening to see all the work enthusiasts and volunteers put into preserving the railway and lines in the area. They have genuine love and enjoyment for what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.