• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A railway station on a pier (at the wet end)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Although New Holland Pier railway station closed 20 years ago, was it actually unique in the sense of
(a) actually built on the seaward end of a pier
(b) built entirely of timber
(c) having the sea (actually the River Humber) just 100 yards past the terminating buffers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Isn't Ryde Pier Head in a similar situation - at the wet end of a pier, with the Solent for company?
Not sure if it's built entirely of timber, though. So perhaps 2 out of 3.

Last edited:

talltim

Established Member
Although New Holland Pier railway station closed 20 years ago, was it actually unique in the sense of
(a) actually built on the seaward end of a pier
(b) built entirely of timber
(c) having the sea (actually the River Humber) just 100 yards past the terminating buffers.

Ryde Pier Head sprang to mind, but I'm not sure the pier is still timber

Moog_1984

Craigendorran pier looks like from old pictures that the triangle track extended onto the wooden pier.

This was actually OH electrified and blue train (303s) ran out to it, connecting to various ferries.

Luss pier was also served in summer, but I think the track used to only extend to the platforms there. (used to be an 08 shunt for the 303 off the wires in summer: I did see a 20 there once - maybe it was just on PW duty)

Oracle

Established Member
Hythe Pier has iron supports I think though it has wooden planking. Southend-on-Sea's was originally timber (with a horse-drawn tramway) though replaced with an iron pier in 1890 that had an electric tramway installed.

Portsmouth Harbour station is built on a timber pier.

Oswyntail

Established Member
At high tide (I presume) having the sea below a large part of the train, let alone the buffers (IIRC, very long time ago, catching the Brocklesby Castle)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Port Victoria station on the Isle of Grain in Kent was also built on a timber pier. Unfortunately the wooden supports were continually attacked by some sort of sea worm and the station was eventually moved back down the line on to land in the early 20th Century.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hythe Pier has iron supports I think though it has wooden planking.

Yes, it has wooden planking. The station building is wooden as well; seen here with the much missed Queen Elizabeth 2 passing behind.

Attachments

• QE2 12 Oct 2007 picture 16208.jpg
    QE2 12 Oct 2007 picture 16208.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 42

Moog_1984

If you are off on all things wood, then are there not still two bridges nc of Perth and one on the central wales ?

steamybrian

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour station is built on a pier
nearby Stokes Bay was on a pier (closed 1915)

GM078

In Ireland:

Rosslare Harbour Pier (closed 1989, but remained in use as a stabling/runround facility until April 2008).

Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoighre (closed early 1980s).

matchmaker

Established Member
Craigendorran pier looks like from old pictures that the triangle track extended onto the wooden pier.

This was actually OH electrified and blue train (303s) ran out to it, connecting to various ferries.

Luss pier was also served in summer, but I think the track used to only extend to the platforms there. (used to be an 08 shunt for the 303 off the wires in summer: I did see a 20 there once - maybe it was just on PW duty)

No pier at Luss - not even a station! You mean Balloch Pier :)

There used to be a very extensive layout there - lots of sidings for ECS from excursion trains.

Moog_1984

No pier at Luss - not even a station! You mean Balloch Pier :)

There used to be a very extensive layout there - lots of sidings for ECS from excursion trains.

:oops:yes of course, I meant to write balloch and took the boat excursion to Luss for some reason.

While on scenic spots: I think Mallaig had a pier freight terminal many years ago which took the fish trains which used to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.