• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A rather odd sounding travelcard query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, I know I issued a travelcard query a while ago, but talking to a Londoner friend of mine about some early morning travel has raised another one.

He tells me that the travelcards start at 0400, which means I'll be arriving into London at 0032 on Saturday 21st August and have no choice but to either use an Oyster card before 0400 or wait around 3 and a half hours!

Now that doesn't add up to me. Surely a travelcard issued after midnight on the 21st of August (a Saturday, so off-peak all day) should be valid straight away and valid until 0400 on 22nd August.

Can anyone who knows anything about travelcards please assist me in clearing this one up? I don't want to have to wait until 0400 to use a travelcard!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think this extract taken from Avantix may help.

Off-Peak Day Travelcards
(First and Standard) and
Family Travelcards:
Valid for travel throughout
the selected London Fare Zones
from 0930 Mondays to Fridays
(0001 Saturdays, Sundays and
Public Holidays) on the day of
validity and for any journey
that starts before 0430 on the
following day.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thanks, that's what I thought should be the case. Puts my mind at ease :D

This is one of the few cases where a paper travelcard is cheaper than Oyster - which isn't widely publicised.

Reminds me of the old weekend travelcards which were great (charged at 1.5x day travelcard) except that they weren't valid on night buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.