• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

najaB

Veteran Member
I've never had my mobile phone (it's a Motorola one, so Android) flag anything as a potential scam, even if it obviously is.
It's only available on newer versions of Android and you also need to opt-in to it, so it's possible that you've never enabled the feature.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's only available on newer versions of Android and you also need to opt-in to it, so it's possible that you've never enabled the feature.
It runs Android 9. I've never even been asked whether I want to opt in or not. Maybe I'll dig around in the settings a bit later and see if I can turn it on.

MotCO

Established Member
I've had no suspect calls in April and we're 8.5 days in. Can I go a whole month without receiving "Suspected Spam"/"Potential Fraud?" (Bearing in mind there are only 20 working days this month: similar to February most years!)

Tell us your phone number, and we'll see what we can do :lol: :lol:

Lucan

Established Member
Over the past few days I've received several calls from unrecognised mobile numbers. Upon answering them the other end simply hangs up after a few seconds. I assume it's an automated system trying random numbers to see if they work and therefore build a list which they can subsequently sell on to scammers.
Scammers don't need a list of phones that work; if their automated dialer rings a number that does not exist, nothing much is lost. In any case, lists of working numbers are freely available on the internet, like this Facebook leak of 500,000 [Later edit : I meant 500,000,000 !] users, https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/...-on-half-billion-facebook-users-leaked-online , enough to keep scammers busy for years.

What is valuable to them is lists of marks of whom some characteristic is known, like the ISP they use, if they are elderly, or if they have fallen for a scam before. (Incredibly, some people fall victim to scams several times over.)

But your case was most likely because no agent in the scam office was free to pick up your answer. The scam office autodialler is dialling all the time to ensure that when a scammer finishes a previous conversation with a mark, there is likely to a further potential mark ready to speak without delay. If an agent can't pick up the call immediately the autodialler hangs up and moves on to dial the next number on its list, because the potential marks are unlikely to hang on for minutes.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member

najaB

Veteran Member
Which makes me very glad indeed that I've avoided Facebook like the plague!
Where scam phone calls are concerned, it wouldn't really make that big of a difference. But yes, generally speaking, the less information you publish online the less information there is to be disclosed in a data breach. That said, a lot of people publish enough information publicly that they are their own walking, talking data breach.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Where scam phone calls are concerned, it wouldn't really make that big of a difference. But yes, generally speaking, the less information you publish online the less information there is to be disclosed in a data breach. That said, a lot of people publish enough information publicly that they are their own walking, talking data breach.
And that's one of the reasons why I publish minimal detail on Facebook, considering friends would already know the details anyway.

Lucan

Established Member
And that's one of the reasons why I publish minimal detail on Facebook
I have a FB account in order to communicate with just one friend who won't use anything else. My account contains totally false information, but they know who I am.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Tell us your phone number, and we'll see what we can do :lol: :lol:

:D

07458645073 just rang me about some tax nonsense. First "stupid" call of the month. I only answered because I am expecting a call back from my insurance company and thought it might be them. My phone didn't pick up the number as spam/fraud.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Earlier this week I had two of the robotic "This is BT and your contract is about to be terminated" calls on the same day. The first one woke me up and I really wasn't in a good mood. I pressed "1" repeatedly until I got through to a human then went off on one. The woman who answered the call had the cheek to say "goodness me, no need to be so rude" as she was hanging up!

Later in the day I received a second call. I was still fuming after the first one, so I pressed "1" and when the call was answered I made it clear that I knew they weren't calling from BT and that Bad Things Would Happen* if they ever called me again. I've not heard a peep from them since.

I'm not entirely convinced that all the people who are answering these calls are aware that they're involved in a scam. Call-centre staff are often "scripted" anyway, so I wonder if they've been employed under false pretences and are, as far as they're aware, legitimately trying to make a living. If this is the case and they're purely relying on on-target-earnings (OTE) in order to earn a crust then it makes these scams even worse.

* Obviously those weren't the exact words - I'll leave those to your imagination.

najaB

Veteran Member
entirely convinced that all the people who are answering these calls are aware that they're involved in a scam. Call-centre staff are often "scripted" anyway, so I wonder if they've been employed under false pretences and are, as far as they're aware, legitimately trying to make a living. If this is the case and they're purely relying on on-target-earnings (OTE) in order to earn a crust then it makes these scams even worse.
Many of them aren't. Exactly as you describe, many of the agents are just trying to earn a living doing a "sales" job.

Lucan

Established Member
ists of working numbers are freely available on the internet, like this Facebook leak of 500,000 [Later edit : I meant 500,000,000
Which makes me very glad indeed that I've avoided Facebook like the plague!
Another Facebook phone number leak a few days ago. Why do people give their [real] phone number to Facebook anyway? The platform has and is a message system in itself. It is like my bank keeps asking me for my email address, when they can send me messages within their on-line banking pages. The new Facebook story is here :

Another Facebook Phone Number Database Online

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Another Facebook phone number leak a few days ago. Why do people give their [real] phone number to Facebook anyway? The platform has and is a message system in itself. It is like my bank keeps asking me for my email address, when they can send me messages within their on-line banking pages. The new Facebook story is here :

Another Facebook Phone Number Database Online
A fresh leak, or the 500 million members one from a few months ago that only became public last week?

Lucan

Established Member
A fresh leak, or the 500 million members one from a few months ago that only became public last week?

From the linked article, it is a separate leak, and works via a bot. OTOH the 500 million leak was a simple list :

"Analysis by Motherboard and a security researcher indicate the database is separate from the recently reported cache of 500 million accounts .... Motherboard verified the tool, which comes in the form of a bot on the social network and messaging platform Telegram, outputs accurate phone numbers of Facebook users"

najaB

Veteran Member
While a bad-actor having my phone number would be annoying - it gives them the ability to target me by name - there's little actual damage they can do unless they actually have my phone.

Lucan

Established Member
Had one today, a woman about "my" washing machine warranty. They asked for Mrs Lucan by name but I handled it. As it happens I had bought a new one (in my name, not Mrs Lucan's) only 4 weeks ago, and I first took this to be the usual attempt to sell an extention to the standard year's warranty, so I pointed out it was still under warranty. But they kept to their script, seemingly not having listened, and said maybe my maker's warranty had expired and I therefore needed to renew my cover.

It dawned on me that they knew nothing about my washing machine and had phoned entirely at random, hoping to find people who's washing machines had recently (say within a few months) run out of their standard year or two year warranty. I suppose that as nearly every house has a washing machine, there must be a very high proportion in that target bracket, perhaps 10%. The caller's script was intended to give the impression that they represented the maker.

I challenged them to tell me what washing machine I had and when I bought it, as I was interested to know how much of my information had been sold to these people. They knew nothing, and they suggested terminating the call as they sensed me getting angry. They would have had no chance of selling me an extended warranty anyway, even if they were genuine, as those warranties are rip-offs.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... They would have had no chance of selling me an extended warranty anyway, even if they were genuine, as those warranties are rip-offs.
Agree about the extended warranty scam. My usual tactic if in a shop is to say “I’d like to buy one of these machines, and if you so much as mention an extended warranty I’m out the door...”. I’ve ended up doing it a couple of times.

I was once seriously invited at the till somewhere to pay about £9.00 to extend the warranty on a £15.00 steam iron. You’d probably get better odds down the bookies...

Jon_jpwh

I have received a peculiar text today. It appears to be from an organisation called ONF.RU which Google tells me is the All-Russian People's Front. It starts with my name and continues "according to policy SCA(PSD 2.1.4) legislation, you need complete your Apple configuration". It then has a web address which I obviously haven't opened. It is a complete mystery and I very rarely receive anything which I would class as a scam.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I keep getting calls about a car crash I apparently had, despite the fact I don’t have a car. Voice is robotic and is usually a female voice.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I had a car crash once. Then a family member had a car crash. Then the call centre person hung up.
I have a long story I can tell about my last car crash, in 1973. I ask them if it is on their computer system yet.

Typhoon

Established Member
I’ve found telling them about my day makes the call a lot quicker.
Why do they ask how your day has been? Its an open invitation to pour all your woes (real or invented) on them. The best they will get from me is 'It wasn't too bad until I received this nuisance phone call. Goodbye'.

Typhoon

Established Member
To try and disarm your defences. They really don't want to know.
That may have worked in the past but because they all do it you can then go on about the cat, the leaky guttering, the car MOT, Aunt June, until they get bored and ring off.

They don’t ask, more just me wanting to waste there time.
Perhaps they have learnt their lesson with you, they usually ask me and I usually let them know. Glass much more than half empty.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Perhaps they have learnt their lesson with you, they usually ask me and I usually let them know. Glass much more than half empty.
If it’s a real person speaking, I enjoy hearing the get frustrated, and usually the conversation ends with them saying “okay bye, we rang the wrong number” as if I’m expected to believe that.

MarlowDonkey

If it’s a real person speaking, I enjoy hearing the get frustrated, and usually the conversation ends with them saying “okay bye, we rang the wrong number” as if I’m expected to believe that.
I've long wondered what the point of the car crash calls was. If you admit to having a car crash, is it just to get bank or credit card details? Is it perhaps more subtle, to build a list of potential claims to sell on to a claim management company?

There was a spate of calls a while back where the caller seemingly seemed convinced you had worked for an employer that had called hearing loss. Unusually the call came from the UK. That seemed to tie in with a genuine Government scheme, but in practice I believe it was an attempt to build a database for onward sale to a Claims Management group looking to enter the UK market.