• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A short-ish day in the life of a GCR cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, I started being a cleaner at the GCR yesterday, here is how my day went:

10.30, I met sootyxfd at the top of Loughborough Central's stairs, before walking down to the shed and signing on. My first task, clean the frames on 78019! I must say, the undercarraige is now red internally and the frames are closer to black than brown! Job 2, go to the chippy for lunch, wasn't that hungry mind. We continued on 78019, inspecting the smokebox and cleaning out the hopper ash pan. Then, we had to shift because the Inspectors Saloon needed the pit. (It's strange watching an 08 without rods) Then, we just wandered around for a while seeing as 78019 was done as we thought nessesary, checking out the locos on shed and getting washed. (I seemed to get dirtier than the footplate crews that day!)

Then, when 4141 had come on, I was given the task of cleaning out the smokebox so the loco could do the dining train later on (It's nice and warm!). Rory sorted out the 04,and then I left at 18.30.

I would have gone today, but I was struck ill. :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

The 08 is actually a Class 10. And how comes you managed to get away with doing less then what I did on my first day down the shed...no fair :(

Anyway, sounds like you had fun, sorry to hear your under the weather!

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Err, Paul, you should've got yourself to our place yesterday mate, I'd've shown you cleaning jobs on a proper loco, a.k.a. 6233 Duchess of Sutherland. Plus, if I wasn't ill today I'd've gone down again and at this very moment I would probably be working on either 37314, 40012 or 50007.

Nick said:
The 08 is actually a Class 10. And how comes you managed to get away with doing less then what I did on my first day down the shed...no fair :(

Anyway, sounds like you had fun, sorry to hear your under the weather!

Thanks Nick, you should see the colour of the underframe on 78109, it was totally black before, now it's red! (Matt did that, I scraped the dirt off the frames.)

Now now Ladies,

You going to do some shed work for the 1060's gala Nick? I heard we might get a turn on the footplate :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.