• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A (sort of) word in support of Pacers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes I know their limitations, blah, blah, and I live in London so have expensive proper trains to ride in etc

But as I was in Blackpool this weekend, I had the pleasure of various Northern DMUs, and was able to make direct comparisons between various types.

On a simple single track route like the South Fylde line, and only going from Blackpool South to Lytham, so not going across any points, I preferred the 142 to the 150.

Doors at the ends of carriages mean a nice clean uncluttered interior, lots of windows, all with hoppers mean an excellent view out and ventilation, whereas on the 150 the solid door vestibule areas really affect visibility, and if anything it seemed noisier.

I'm not saying we should keep Pacers, but that the basic concept of a lightweight and cheap rail vehicle wasn't a bad one for the right lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I recently used a 142 on the Hope Valley route and my daughter in-law liked the low seats as she could lean over and talk to other family members. Just a thought :)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I agree - the 150s and the various electric types produced from the same shell, are dreadful in terms of window vs. seat layout. And yes, high back seats, wherever they are fitted, do make for a claustrophobic environment. But, I suppose that, if 98.32% of (other!) travellers spend the entire journey with their faces buried in their smartphones - as seems to be the fashion nowadays - then the windowless carriage probably wouldn't even be noticed. I just wish they wouldn't head straight for a windowed seat before they get the phone out!!

ABB125

Established Member
I've experienced a class 143 between Cardiff and Taff's Well, it was actually quite a nice experience, with just a bit of squeaking from the wheels occasionally. Because they have opening windows, I was able to film a class 66 passing through Cardiff as we waited outside :D.

BR60062

I have been on a few pacers in my life and one of the positive traits I like about them is the larger arrangement of windows as the view they have is excellent. Shame they were not mounted on proper bogies as they would be more comfortable to ride on. But for the view outside. They are one of the best for watching the scenery when travelling :).

Status
Not open for further replies.