• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A tale of two Northern cities - part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
After my trip round Greater Manchester, I had a follow up day on Monday (a long weekend off work) and decided to wander round South Yorkshire. Whilst the plan had been more Sheffield orientated, that didn't really come to pass. Also, fair to say it had been a very long time since I'd been on a South Yorkshire day out. Despite having had friends living in Sheffield (and even a girlfriend there) at various times, the last time I'd had a proper day out was in the days of Mainline Group who were still running Atlanteans, let alone Dominators!

I left Leeds early as my mate was off to work, and got in the car, strategically dumping it off the M1, and getting an SY Connect ticket for the day; I later regretted not getting the Plus version but hey ho. First machine was a Stagecoach e300 into Barnsley Interchange with a view to getting to Doncaster. We arrived and I just missed the fast X19 so waited for the 219 - it never arrived! Never mind, the next Doncaster run was the X20 - not so much of an express but a cross country run. This too had an e300, being a 2012 example and a few years newer than my first steed.

The X20 carves its way through quite a bit of old Yorkshire Traction territory, such as Wombwell and Mexborough. One thing that was apparent was how busy this journey was and it transpired that it was commuters.... workers getting the bus to the Manvers business park (where a mine used to sit) where Capita (among others) have major sites. That this sort of commuting happens is both gratifying and notable. Our full e300 was left two thirds empty after those stops! Another observation is just what a capable workhorse the e300 actually is - the odd squeak but really quite decent in a "take it for granted" way. It was also quite a nice run, especially through Conisborough before arriving in Doncatraz.

Now I decided not to linger but head out to the furthest extreme of my ticket's range, to Bawtry. It's a nice little town and gave me the excuse to tick off one little outstanding 'to do' - I've been on virtually every former NBC subsidiary (and their successors) but never Lincolnshire Road Car so it was a slightly scruffy Dart of Gainsborough depot that took me to Bawtry. However, it was Monday morning and Bawtry doesn't open till mid morning, so it was back to Donny on a former Lincoln based e400 from Worksop depot (who share that corridor) so making 4 Stagecoach buses from 3 different OpCos by 1030!

This time, I had some more time in Doncaster and decided to have a bit of First action. The plan was to find some place to head to, then get a different service back so Hatfield was chosen to get the 87a and the 8 back. In the end, it was an 87a both ways but never mind. The one out was a Streetlite (63132) which actually wasn't so bad - in so far as the gearchanges that are normally cited on these were actually very smooth. The ride quality wasn't bad either. However, the other issues that afflict these were evident - the roaring draft and incessant rattle of the handle from the emergency door. The 87a seemed to have a range of vehicles on it, not just Streetlites, with B7TLs and B7RLEs. My bus back was a B7L - a 52 plate that looked horrendous externally though wasn't so bad inside. It must have had some mid life refurb judging by the cushions (though the ironing board hadn't been done). Now, the bus enthusiast in me likes the B7L - quirky with a roaring engine. Put that aside and it's a terrible machine for the general public with massively intrusive noise levels. Some wider observations on Doncaster was the difference between there and Barnsley in so many ways. Barnsley seems to have some vibrancy in the centre - lacking in Donny where the money seems to be spent on new developments on the outskirts of town. In terms of the bus fleet, the First fleet was in shocking cosmetic condition, even newish Streetlites looking especially grimy (and more than you'd expect even at this time of year). The First fleet is very old - some newish Wrights, a few middle aged B7RLEs/B9s but so, so many elderly deckers and B7Ls adding to the general malaise.

Time for a spot of lunch and then a trip to Dinnington on a former London Trident operated by what was Powells and is now CT Plus. This was actually quite a nice trip despite the age of the vehicle. It is also quite rural at times and was a decent trip. I arrived at Dinnington Interchange - a more robust facility than the collection of bus shelters that was there last time I visited. I eschewed the chance of more Stagecoach to have a rural run to Rotherham on a 2003 Solo operated by TM Travel on the 20. This had a TSY inspector doing traffic surveys for the entire journey as we weaved our way down some very rural spots - preparing for further budget cuts? Nonetheless, the driver was very skilled and despite the age, the Solo was in excellent nick. Old buses don't need to look like wrecks!! It was a spirited ride on some truly atrocious roads around Ulley whilst heading into Rotherham.

Now, I can't say that I spent masses of time in Rotherham. However, this reminded me of Dudley - a town close to a major out of town mall that has been successively undermined by the abstraction of high street footfall (by Meadowhall), now compounded by internet shopping and lower levels of economic activity. The temporary bus station was accessed by a grim walkway through an arcade. That was fair enough but the fleet in the town, whilst not as abject as Donny, was quite poor though I did catch sight of two of the remaining B10BLEs - one now 20 years old. I caught the X78 to Meadowhall, with a former Weymouth Eclipse (69213) that had been internally refurbished when down south. It was a bit rattly but was reasonable - note to First SY that vehicles in the same batch are currently being repainted and refurbed for First South Wales and look transformed (though not seen them in the flesh).

A quick tram ride up to Fitzalan Square and then walked down to the Interchange - whilst sort of close to the station, this place is beginning to look rather ghostly. The level of activity and passengers is pretty abject - you'd almost think it would be better to get rid of it (and I'm generally pro good bus facilities) as it seems to be chronically underused. I saw plenty of First and Stagecoach fleet with a recently arrived 2007 B9 from First Glasgow looking rather careworn and various newer First vehicles.

I was going to get a bus back to Barnsley (so my travelling in Sheffield was a lot less than I anticipated - my head turned by the options in Doncaster) and had thought about the 2. However, the next one was an X17, operated by brand new Stagecoach e400mmcs. I chose that option and I wasn't disappointed. These really are a cut above the old examples and so I headed back to Meadowhall. Unfortunately, the traffic around there is terrible (bus priority not really a priority) and we limped along - this sums up the problems with buses in the UK. Even when operators do invest in high quality vehicles, they are caught up in the same traffic as everything else - we were 20 mins late into Barnsley despite a spirited dash up the M1. Back there, time for a quick coffee before getting the same e300 that had brought me from Dodworth in the morning.

In short, I was perhaps more surprised than I was with Greater Manchester. The gap between First and Stagecoach is more of a chasm. Even the newer vehicles with First seem poorly presented, and that the X78 has to manage with 12 year old Eclipses amongst various Streetlites emphasises how much that service seems to have declined. The overall presentation of the Stagecoach fleet was consistently good, internally and externally. Whilst the Stagecoach routes were quite dull, and often a bit laborious, they did at least have some promotion (Barnsley TownLines, X22) whilst only the X1 in Sheffield was "actively" promoted by First. The investment in Stagecoach's world is evident - only a few ex Tracky Omnidekkas were spotted whilst much was 10 years old or newer with some e200mmc and the Gold e400mmc; there were even some 10 plate e400s that had been sent north from Devon. Perhaps even more than FGM, FSY needs a really good shake down, start to cull the masses of B7Ls and the begin to actively promote their services. Also, I understand the need to interwork extensively to cover the Rotherham area services from Sheffield but the amount of interworking in Doncaster was really surprising, and that drives efficiency (possibly) but more risk and unreliability (almost certainly). They've done the big changes of the various bus partnership changes and the closure of Rotherham depot - now to improve service delivery, marketing and presentation.

Just my views and hope I've been fair and balanced and most of all, worth the read!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
Nice write up! It does seem that South Yorkshire differs from Greater Manchester, due the the lower density of rail lines here.

Yes, Stagecoach are investing loads, but they still have to be rid of the awful Omnidekkas first!

I agree about Sheffield bus station area; in fact, much of Sheffield feels like a ghost town.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Nice write up! It does seem that South Yorkshire differs from Greater Manchester, due the the lower density of rail lines here.

Yes, Stagecoach are investing loads, but they still have to be rid of the awful Omnidekkas first!

I agree about Sheffield bus station area; in fact, much of Sheffield feels like a ghost town.

With the lack of local rail, you'd think that quicker bus services might be more of a feature but I appreciate it's always a balance to be struck!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The comments about FSY in Doncaster and Rotherham are spot on - but have been for very many years now. Quite tatty and unloved is the kindest thing I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.