• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A to B via C Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

I've booked advanced tickets to travel from Euston to Liverpool Lime with my partner to help with her luggage. I then will help carry her luggage to a location approximately 5 minutes walk from Lime Street & I then intend to travel on to my final destination Leeds. If I now book an advance from Liverpool to Leeds timed to leave about an hour after the London train arrives at Lime Street and this train is delayed can my tickets be endorsed to enable taking a later train to Leeds?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AntoniC

I've booked advanced tickets to travel from Euston to Liverpool Lime with my partner to help with her luggage. I then will help carry her luggage to a location approximately 5 minutes walk from Lime Street & I then intend to travel on to my final destination Leeds. If I now book an advance from Liverpool to Leeds timed to leave about an hour after the London train arrives at Lime Street and this train is delayed can my tickets be endorsed to enable taking a later train to Leeds?

I would say no because its not a continuous journey (because your not travelling Euston to Lime St then onto Leeds).
How about giving yourself a window of approx 3 hours between when your arrive at Lime St then go onto Leeds ?
(There is plenty to do in Liverpool !)

gray1404

Established Member
Given you already have your London to Liverpool ticket and it is an Advance, I would personally go ahead and book a Liverpool to Leeds Advance while the prices are still lower then what they will be nearer the time of travel. When making a continuous journey, provided you leave the minimum connection time between arriving at Liverpool Lime Street from your arrival from London Euston and your departure to Leeds, then if you are delayed arriving then you have to be accommodated on the next available service (of the same routing of your ticket i.e. TPE most likely) in general.

There is no requirement for a customer to get a ticket endorsed to be entitlement to this.

If you were to arrive late and then were to put you on the next service to Leeds and you didn't have time then help your family member carry their luggage then that is tough look. However, if you were to be accommodated on the next service to Leeds and you still had enough time to go and drop off the luggage an still got back for the train, that is fine. So this is the risk you are taking here.

Personally, although strictly speaking you are making two separate journeys, I think it is viable enough to be able to do given the short distance from the station (and provided your family member is prepared to maybe get a taxi in the event of the worst case situation). The minimum connection time at Liverpool Lime Street is 10 minutes.

najaB

Veteran Member
If I now book an advance from Liverpool to Leeds timed to leave about an hour after the London train arrives at Lime Street and this train is delayed can my tickets be endorsed to enable taking a later train to Leeds?
If you have an Advance ticket and the train on which you are booked is delayed the TOC is obligated to convey you to your destination on their next available service. So, if by 'this train' you meant the Liverpool-Leeds train then there's no need to get your ticket endorsed, though speaking with station staff should make the whole experience more pleasant.

If by 'this train' you meant the London to Liverpool train then it depends on how long the delay is. If it's long enough that you cannot make the Liverpool-Leeds train then see above. However difficulty may arise if it is late enough to mean that you can't accompany your partner, but could still make the connection. Technically, if you miss the connection then the TOC is under no obligation to carry you and you may find yourself out of pocket for a new ticket.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Isn't there also a rule that the two tickets have to be booked at the same time for a missed connection to be honoured?

robbeech

Established Member
Isn't there also a rule that the two tickets have to be booked at the same time for a missed connection to be honoured?
As far as I am aware you must have purchased the tickets before the delay is known about. So if you were delayed by an hour on your trip to Liverpool you would not be entitled to purchase a ticket from Liverpool to Leeds if you already knew you would not be able to make a connection.

gray1404

Established Member
I asked this question once when I was travelling on an Advance from Hove to Crewe. I knew that from there I would have to get a train to Liverpool and asked if I could wait until I got to Crewe to buy my next ticket as it would have been a tight connection and get the VTWC Only walk up ticket or the Any Permitted to use on LM.

I was advised that if I wanted to be covered by delay repay for the entire journey and also be entitled to onward transport if I missed the last connection of the day, I would be best having all tickets before my journey started. There was also some discussion about a customer's requirement to hold tickets for their entire journey before it starts. Although in reality as long as you do not pass the destination printed on your ticket (or combination of) there would be no issues buying further tickets down the line (certainly not at booking offices).

Status
Not open for further replies.