• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A tough MMI question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG96LFC

Hello everyone,

Like so many others, I recently passed all paper and computer assessments for a train driver role, and passed the DMI, only to then sadly fail the MMI. Whilst I was unfortunately not able to receive feedback from The OPC about why I failed my MMI, I remember one tricky question in the interview and I wanted to know how you guys would answer it:

The interviewer said: ‘Your work manager informs you of a course aimed at improving communication and team building in the workplace. The course is 2 weeks long and in a different city. Do you go?’
After I answered, he followed up with ‘Whilst on the course, your wife tells you your car has been stolen. What do you do?’

Whilst I was somewhat satisfied with the answers I gave, these 2 questions could have been ones that I failed on. How would you guys answer the two questions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teddyward

I didn’t have anything like that in mmi. The question around courses is usually something like tell me a time you had to study for more than 2 weeks or some such.
Perhaps if you share your answers first we might be able to advise better. Always a chance that it may have been another area you dipped.

GG96LFC

If I recall correctly, I said how I would try to speak to people who have been to the course before to see how valuable they found it, and I would also check with my manager to ensure my absence didn’t hurt the department. I genuinely cannot remember my answer to the question about the car theft, it was probably terrible as I’ve thankfully never had any experience if dealing with any thefts or any police. Strangely these questions weren’t included on the practice sheet before the interview, the interviewer asked both these questions after I answered the third of the six questions I had written about on the practice sheet

Dynamonic

Well, thinking of it from a Driving perspective, having your vehicle stolen could be a distraction which could negatively affect your work performance. In the driving role, your first port of call would be to speak to your Driver Manager who would assess whether it is safe for you to drive with that distraction looming over you.
In the MMI context, perhaps they were looking to see if you would immediately speak to your course leader, explaining what has happened and how it may impact your performance.

If I recall correctly, I said how I would try to speak to people who have been to the course before to see how valuable they found it, and I would also check with my manager to ensure my absence didn’t hurt the department. I genuinely cannot remember my answer to the question about the car theft, it was probably terrible as I’ve thankfully never had any experience if dealing with any thefts or any police. Strangely these questions weren’t included on the practice sheet before the interview, the interviewer asked both these questions after I answered the third of the six questions I had written about on the practice sheet

By the sounds of it they were looking for a example Which proves some behaviour which you hadn’t shown in your answers.

If you search in here in the mmi / cbi threads a forum member called beveridges posted the criteria they were looking for.

If you contact the opc they will tell you what question you failed on and with the old post see what behaviour / criteria you didn’t display well enough.

GG96LFC

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve given up on the feedback from the OPC. The MMI was last year, I contacted by email and phone at least 20 times, and when I did get through I was just being passed around and told they would ‘eventually get back to me.’ Whilst I would love to know where I failed, I’m just going to pretend I failed every question and prepare ten times as much for the next MMI. Despite all of my preparation, the MMI did surprise me with how much detail was needed for answers. Disappointed with how the OPC acted when I asked for feedback, but all I can do is prepare loads for my next MMI, which is why I’m studying now even though I don’t actually have a date yet. Thank you guys for your replies, you both are helping me to prepare :)

I feel your pain but you potentially had hit 5 out of the 6 criteria, not knowing which one was wrong Makes it 6 times harder next time.

GG96LFC

True. When I get a minute, I’ll try and search for the MMI criteria (I remember seeing the official RSSB document a few weeks ago) and I’ll try my best to incorporate as many criteria into as many of my answers as possible. Also, as the quality of verbal communication is also assessed, I’ll try to practice sounding confident and calm when I’m speaking, that’s probably the toughest thing for me, I’ve always sounded so unconfident when speaking, I’m going to work to ensure I sound much more confident

GG96LFC

I have, I tried to incorporate STAR into my answers. It definitely helped so I’ll try to use it again

Rockhopper

It was your manager who told you about the course so I’d assume that he’d be happy for you to go on it without you having to ask him? Same with talking to others who’d done it. If the manager didn’t think it was worthwhile then he wouldn’t have told you about it?
I’m not a driver so that might all be complete rubbish - it’s just my perspective

ComUtoR

Established Member
The interviewer said: ‘Your work manager informs you of a course aimed at improving communication and team building in the workplace. The course is 2 weeks long and in a different city. Do you go?’

This question has a couple of elements to it.

Like Rockhopper said. Your Manager has told you about it. - So clearly this could be seen as important.
It is about Communication and Team Building - They are looking for a response that incorporates that.
Course duration and location is important. - Are you willing to make sacrifices for your employer. What would your limit be.

After I answered, he followed up with ‘Whilst on the course, your wife tells you your car has been stolen. What do you do?’

Which is always the more critical part of an MMI. The follow up question(s) This also has an important key element.

This is about problem solving. - Can you resolve this situation to have a positive outcome for all involved ?
This is about communication. - Remember you are on a COMMUNICATION and TEAM BUILDING Course. You need to bring that into your answer.
Remember that they are looking for Non Technical Skills. - What is your situational awareness like, how do you prioritize, what is your workload management like etc.

How would you guys answer the two questions?

It's not about how I would answer. It's about how YOU would answer. Remember that follow up question ? that is there to prompt a more personal response and to see if you can justify your answer.

GG96LFC

Thank you for your reply, you make some really good points. And my apologies, I misread

Theooboy

Hello everyone,

Like so many others, I recently passed all paper and computer assessments for a train driver role, and passed the DMI, only to then sadly fail the MMI. Whilst I was unfortunately not able to receive feedback from The OPC about why I failed my MMI, I remember one tricky question in the interview and I wanted to know how you guys would answer it:

Whilst I was somewhat satisfied with the answers I gave, these 2 questions could have been ones that I failed on. How would you guys answer the two questions?
Wow I’m still awaiting my MMI results with OPC but I felt it went well but that question seems very harsh ngl

GG96LFC

Wow I’m still awaiting my MMI results with OPC but I felt it went well but that question seems very harsh ngl
Do you mind if I ask what kind of questions you got in your MMI? Did you get any that you weren’t expecting?

Theooboy

If can remember

-role relating to train driver
-emergency situation
- a question along the lines of achieving something can’t remeber the exact question
- another question was something to do with changing something at work like a new idea
- another one was something along the lines where you was in a tough situation and how you got out of it

I can’t remeber the last question but in my opinion I found it alright , I answered with all real life experiences and used the STAR method so hopefully I pass it’s a waiting game but someone else I knew that done it said they felt the invterviwer weren’t impressed with their answers but the guy that did mine was very chilled I didn’t feel prsssure and answered to my best of my ability so fingers crossed

Stigy

Established Member
Hello everyone,

It seems strange how the question was asked, but it was probably by way of probing you as you didn’t answer as they’d liked in an earlier question?

This to me sounds like it’s assessing how you’d cope with a driver course (19-weeks or so) in a round about sort of way. Although it’s not specific to a driver role, they’re trying to see how you’d cope under pressure whilst being away from home. They want to see if you have the ability to remain focussed on a long course, and can solve issues at home on a remote basis, without having to leave the course.

There are items in the questions probably aimed to take your focus away from what is, to all intents and purposes as very simple competency based question (such as “Do you go?” and “the course is aimed at improving communication”).

I’m not sure how you answered, but you need to show a certain amount of sensible, logical reasoning.

UpRoad

I believe the reason for this question is to stretch or even slightly panic you out of your comfort zone. Everyone is prepared for the MMI questions as you are first asked to write down the answers and then your probed in them later at a one to one. It is not a true insight into your instinctive behaviour.
Managers often throw in a new question to challenge you. How quickly did you answer? Was the answer relevant? Did you flap about? Or did you possibly just speak to a point you didn’t even realise what was being said or the point your were trying to make?
Imagine driving a train and the brakes come on unexpectedly. what do you do?
Breath, take 30 seconds and think. Pushing buttons randomly or flapping in a panic is not the solution. You must filter all the information and training you have to try and solve the problem at hand.
If your caught out, just say “give me a second to think” think quietly to yourself for a a while and answer calmly. Silence in an interview does not need to be filled if it serves a purpose.

Best of luck

Cyclist

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve given up on the feedback from the OPC.
Send them a GDPR request for all data related to yourself. They are legally obliged to respond. It works, I’ve done this about a year ago. I used the contact form on the website.

GG96LFC

Send them a GDPR request for all data related to yourself. They are legally obliged to respond. It works, I’ve done this about a year ago. I used the contact form on the website.
Good idea, thanks buddy

oida89

Hello everyone,

Tell your manager: "Excellent, thanks. I'm looking forward to it". Because the company would not suggest paying for you to go on it if they didn't want you to go on it.

Hello everyone,

"Oh dear. I phone her in the evening after the training day, I tell her to report it to the Police and get a Crime Reference Number. I tell her to then report it to the Insurance Company and follow their instructions. I tell her to ask the insurance company to immediately provide the Courtesy Car, which is included in our Policy" If she phones during the training day, I tell her all that. I also console her. And then we all carry on without further distraction.

Because as a Driver you must be able to Compartmentalise. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/compartmentalize

And you must be able to:
Keep Calm
And
Carry On.

330px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

Rockhopper

That would have been exactly my response but I hesitated in posting it as seemed so obvious that I assumed there must be some hidden question they are asking!

GG96LFC

Thanks for all the replies guys, I’m really determined to pass the MMI on my second attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.