• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A very eventful day in Newcastle - 15/10/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A few weeks ago, Jordy and I booked some GNER advance purchase tickets for us to go to Newcastle for the day. Jordy was to come over from Grimsby to Hull so that we could be on the same train on the outward journey.

The day started off very smoothly. I caught the 61 bus from Cottingham Green to Hull city centre at 07:52, having recieved a text message from Jordy saying he was on the train towards Barton. About half way into Hull, I decided to text him again to check on his progress. I was horrified to recieve the reply 'Stuck in Barton'.

I called him up straight away to ask what had happened. He told me that he had missed the bus and that he would sort everything out. Meanwhile, I phoned 'Buscall' to check out the next bus from Barton to Hull. Jordy later told me the story in full:

His Grimsby-Barton train was held near West Marsh near Great Coates for about 5 minutes. The train made up a couple of minutes en-route, but the connecting bus to Hull didn't wait and left before the train arrived, even though it is a booked connection in the timetable. He had to go to the Spar shop, and the staff there phoned for a taxi. Luckily, staff had just arrived at the local taxi office and a lady came straight away. The taxi rushed him to Hull station in just 15 minutes at a cost of £20! (Northern Rail will hopefully cough up this fee ;) ).

My bus had arrived in Hull 10 minutes early, and so I had plenty of time to pick up a compensation form for Jordy's taxi. I went out to the front of the station to meet him, but as we walked inside, screens flashed 'Cancelled' all around! A broken rail at Wressle near Howden meant that the Selby line was closed and all York/Leeds trains were cancelled. That included our 08:39 service to Huddersfield (Trains were terminating here because of engineering works).

We were told that a rail replacement bus would run to York at 09:02, although this would mean that we would miss our connection. We could have caught a service bus from Hull to York at 08:50, but we decided to wait for our rail replacement service. This though, didn't come until about 09:40 beacause the bus had to come from Goole :roll:

The bus journey went smoothly, because of very light traffic. We got to York at about 11:00, to find out about the major problems that the ECML had been suffering all morning. The next GNER was delayed by 45 minutes due to a failed train at Alexander Palace earlier in the day. The question now arose, 'could it get any worse?' ;) .

Well, the train lost another ten minutes, and having been refused access on a Virgin, we boarded the mallard service and sat in the buffet car. This was especially convenient, and I enjoyed a delicious Go Eat hot breakfast bagel :D . To add another twist to the story, our service was calling additionally at Durham, and the signaller tried to route us through the station. After a further 5 minute delay, we pulled into Durham.

We eventually arrived into Newcastle at about 13:15, over two hours late! We had planned to try and do much of the metro, but our possibilities were now seriously reduced. After a few photos at Newcastle, we hopped onto the first metro service towards South Hylton, taking the front seats, and getting a great view of the line ahead. We alighted at Heworth to get a few more photos, and then took a Northern class 156 to Sunderland, missing a class 60 and freight by seconds :cry: .

Part two of our amazing day coming soon... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Part two :D

Our 156 proceeded towards Sunderland, running non stop through the metro stations en route. We alighted at Sunderland, which we found to be a dark gloomy underground station. After depositing its passengers, the 156
proceeded into the daylight to reverse and almost immediately go back to
Carlisle, leaving no chance for it to be cleaned. The 156 had to be slotted
into a tight schedule, working around the metro trains, so to not disrupt
their frequency. Having seen the 156 reverse, we checked the departure boards and found out that the next Metro to South Hylton was due in two minutes.

We boarded the very rear carriage of the 4 car formation, and were able to
get the front seats, although at the back ;). The service proceeded to South Hylton, where Max alighted briefly to take a photo. I remained in the front seats which would now be going forwards to Newcastle. The driver made a very quick turn around, and within a few minutes, the train was leaving. I held my video camera up to the window all
the way back to central station, getting some great 'Drivers Eye View'
footage for my new website (Launching Soon).

After leaving Sunderland again, you could see many Sunderland football
supporters crossing the River Wear to the Stadium of light. I was supprised
how few of these decided to take the metro, a real shame really as it would
greatly boost profits. The most interesting part of the ride was, most
probably, the section between Seaburn and Pelaw stations, due to the numerous level crossings and rural setting. The approach to Pelaw station was particularly interesting, namely 'Pelaw South Junction', the junction where the metro from Sunderland leaves the 'Heavy Rail' section to join the branch from South Shields, before decending onto Pelaw station.

We alighted again at Central Station, to see if the GNER trains had recovered yet or not, many were still running upto an hour late! We were about to leave, when we spotted a 6 car 158 in one of the bay platforms! As we got closer we could see it was forming a service to Manchester Victoria (Piccadilly was closed) and expected to depart in 8 minutes. Despite this, the train still did not have its engine running, nor were any of the doors open! A large crowd of people were gathered around it, when it suddenly burst into life, with quite alot of clag!! We walked up to the top end of the platform, Max took a great photo of it leaving, and I recorded a video. After seeing this, we returned to the metro platforms in order to get to Manors.

After connecting with a service from St James at Monument, we arrived into Manors Metro station. After emerging from the underground plaforms, we walked in the direction of the one sign there was directing you to the mainline station. After going the wrong way up a hill, we found the mainline station, Max commented that it was unusual as it had no tall red BR sign. We walked over the rather strange little footbridge, and found that a 66 was approaching! Max managed to get a decent photo of it, but I was unable to get one as my camera was tucked away into my bag. About 3 minuites later, the first of two HSTs could be heard, this was the late running Highland Cheftian. About 3 minuites later, another HST followed
it! We also saw two voyagers and a couple of GNER mallard services. Oh,
and two pacers, you can't get away from them can you!! We would definately suggest Manors station as a good place for photography, because of the ideal curves on the station.

We left manors about 30/45 mins later, and went to a very nice Italian place on the quayside, I can't remember the name of it, but Max will ;). On the way, we walked through an impressive area, where a Motorway burrowed underneath some office buildings/flats which were themselves raised above the ground. To top it all off, there was a footbridge and the Railway going throught it all, and the metro underneath!! We eventually arrived at the Italian restaurant, having to ask a few people on the way. We also saw an electric bus which was bright yellow!We had to eat our meal fairly quickly, as it took a long time for it to be served and our train would be leaving soon.

After the absolutely delicious meal, we walked back up to Central Station, and made our way to the plaform our train would be departing from. While waiting for it to come in, the EWS silver 67 brought in a Southbound Charter!! After taking some pictures of it, we got into coach L of first class, and had a great journey down to Doncaster, being served with complementary Orange Juice and Biscuits. Upon arrival at Doncaster, we
waited for our trains home, Max being able to travel on GNERs 'Hull
Executive' service, in First Class once again. I waited a further 20 minuites
for my 158 home, which unfortunately was an ex CT one and therefore did not have first class. Ah well, time for more compensation ;)

A very eventful day, and a very enjoyable one! I would definately like
to go again. My pictures can be seen at www.jordystrainphotos.fotopic.net and my videos will be available shortly. Max's photos will be on his fotopic site soon.

Jordy

Nick

Sounds like you two had fun...yes JTC is under redesign scheduled for completion in a few weeks ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jordy said:
We left manors about 30/45 mins later, and went to a very nice Italian place on the quayside, I can't remember the name of it, but Max will ;).

Yes I do too! It was called Uno's. If anybody here is ever in the Newcastle area, I really would recommend it as a great place to stop off for a meal, as the pizzas and pastas are all £3.95 before 5pm. Our meal cost £10 including drinks :D It was delicious too. (I found out about it on the Virgin trains website - at least they are good for something ;) )

I think we both had a great day. Shame about our two our delay, although the woman on the gner buffet commented that the delays meant that the day was something of a 'mini adventure' :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
AHis Grimsby-Barton train was held near West Marsh near Great Coates for about 5 minutes. The train made up a couple of minutes en-route, but the connecting bus to Hull didn't wait and left before the train arrived, even though it is a booked connection in the timetable. He had to go to the Spar shop, and the staff there phoned for a taxi. Luckily, staff had just arrived at the local taxi office and a lady came straight away. The taxi rushed him to Hull station in just 15 minutes at a cost of £20! (Northern Rail will hopefully cough up this fee ;) ).
No compensation is payable by Northern - this is on their timetable for that line:-

Northern said:
Hull-Barton Bus link
If you are travelling between Hull and Barton you will need to buy a sepearate ticket on the bus for this journey.
This bus service is provided by local operators and Northern Rail cannot guarantee the connection."

The timetable is :-

Barton a 1648
Barton d 1653

So, if the train was 3 late the bus left early. Surely it is the bus company that is liable? Even if the train was more than 5 mins late, Northern's disclaimer mean they aren't liable to pay compensation.

I think he would be advised to send a strongly worded letter to the bus company though.

Edit: Got the quote from Northern's website, which answers some of the questions I asked in this post earlier.

Craig

Established Member
Jordy said:
On the way, we walked through an impressive area, where a Motorway burrowed underneath some office buildings/flats which were themselves raised above the ground. To top it all off, there was a footbridge and the Railway going throught it all, and the metro underneath!!
Swan House roundabout?

Swan1792.jpg

Sounds like you had an interesting day.

TheSlash

Established Member
Yorkie, i think he was implying Northern should pay the compensation to him directly, then claim the £20 back from the bus company

Status
Not open for further replies.