A Very Unusual Request...

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by AlterEgo, 10 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Hello all,

My father has finally decided to call it a day on the Underground. He retires as a Depot Controller next summer at the age of 62 after 35 years' service (before the damned Olympics! :lol:). The problem is, what to get him for a retirement present??

I do have a rather far-fetched idea. My father was a guard (and later drove) 1959 Stock on the Bakerloo Line, based at Stanmore. He then drove 1983 Stock after the Stanmore branch became the Bakerloo Line.

My idea was to find a piece of scrap of either 1959 or 1983 stock and have it mounted on a plinth, or made into some sort of trophy or ornament. So:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of 1959 or 1983 Stock scrap components? If so, how?

Does anyone have any information about anywhere else I could get hold of some unique retirement gift for him?

All help and pointers gratefully received.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Try asking on the district dave forum if you havent already there may be a few people on there who can help you with your request.

Tried contacting TFL perhaps they could point you in the right direction

4. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

As I understand it, some 1962 stock trains (identical to 1959s) have recently departed for scrap at Eastleigh (I think) - having been stored for a few years for potential departmental use. Sadly, I believe the contracts for disposal of rolling stock prevent the scrap dealers selling on any of the components. Might be worth a try though!

I think the majority of the 1983 stock are long since scrapped - though some were sold for alternative uses.

5. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies, both. I have found out that 1983 Stock was scrapped with CF Booth, so have emailed them today.

I guess I'll try TfL or the London Transport Museum next. Thanks for the suggestion about District Dave's forum, I'll give that a go now.

6. trentside

Thinking about it, there are still some 1983TS dumped in corners of sidings around the system, there are certainly a few cars at South Harrow. Sadly, you probably wouldn't want to rescue anything from these... they are trashed beyond belief!

7. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

I only want something small! I don't know, a headlamp or a part of the cab or driver's controls. If there are some at South Harrow I may be able to get in touch with some people to see if there is anything (however small!) I could take. I am saying that on the assumption that they're awaiting scrapping?

8. trentside

I wish you luck. If the 83TS at South Harrow weren't originally intended for scrapping they sure are ready for it now...

An example here

9. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The destination blind can be a good pressie if it's still there.

10. colchesterken

colchesterken Member

Contact the museum at acton town works they have all sorts of bits for sale

they have 2 open days per year may and oct not sure if they will let you have access at other times,,worth a phone call

11. SouthEastern-465

SouthEastern-465 Established Member

Sure there's some 1983ts around used as building blocks (serious) I've got a pic somewhere!

12. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

It's so sad - I remember travelling on 1983 stock then seeing it in the LT museums depot in Acton. So sad to see perfectly good stock withdrawn prematurely ( I know the single doors were a problem but surely they could have found some use for it - such a waste)!

13. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

....a throttle handle would be quite cool, mounted on a wooden plinth.

14. W-on-Sea

W-on-Sea Established Member

Another possible source for 1983 stock stuff might be the group of artists who use 4 cars as studios in East London, off Great Eastern Street in Shoreditch. Not sure you'd have any success, but might be worth a try

15. rmt-driver

rmt-driver Member

Get him a bottle of scotch and have done with it.. I know that's what I'd prefer ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.